Cooper STT Pro Tyres - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > REVIEWS & NEW PRODUCTS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'll preempt my next instalment with a few questions answered hopefully before they are asked.

I've found the tyres rub the swaybar links on full flex while disconnected, not much but enough to hear it in the cabin on a quiet day with the windows down.

The road noise is a little more noticeable with a few thousand km on the tyres, but not much. I haven't got the nice smooth roads you all probably have around you, so my tyre noise is substituted somewhat with ambient road noise - but I'll try to capture some high quality iPhone video and put it up with some speed comparisons. I've taken the roof off recently and the road noise is not as bad as any other mud tyre I've heard on the road

One area of caution - weight. I've discovered that the spare is putting a minimal, but still unacceptable amount of pressure on the stock tailgate, and I'm taking steps to rectify this - by means of a rear bar with tyre carrier - I'm tossing up the hinge upgrade over the full rear carrier - the wife doesn't want me to burn $800 on a hinge upgrade and just get the full bumper mount instead - she's a keeper.. I'll ask questions about these in another topic.

I have sustained a gouge out of one of the tyre lugs about the size of my fingertip. Mulga wood is the hardest substance on the surface of the earth, and it will scoop out a lump of rubber faster than you can imagine - I'm just glad I caught the lug and not the space between lugs (1" off and I'd be telling a whole different story)
Old 09-04-2016
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)
Default 3000km review

Early results are in, these are some tough tyres. They have had 3000km of mixed terrain (school/grocery run, highway km, dirt road km, 50km of dodging pointy sticks, loose rock/gravel, little bit of mud) and here are the updates on how the tread looks

A little bit of chipping around the edges, but generally unscathed. The road noise has gotten perhaps a tiny bit louder, but this may be just that I'm running roofless now and I'm noticing it a bit more. Generally I'm very happy with the way these tyres are handling everything I throw at them.

One incident after leading a group of five vehicles out bush, picking our way through 50km of overgrown trail (not really a trail, we were following a spot on a map that hadn't seen activity since the 1960s) I discovered a gouge out of one of the tyre lugs that was luckily positioned in the best possible place it could have occurred:

Suffice to say, I suffered a lot less damage than one of the other vehicles on the trip:

The weight of the spare has become a minor issue for my stock tyre carrier. The rear door has just started flex a little, and rather than wait for it to get dangerous, I have moved the spare inside and secured it to the luggage area. Fortunately I have no long distance trips planned for the short term, so I've got time to organise a bumper mount tyre carrier. Putting my pennies away for one of these:

Fuel economy over 3000km has gotten worse with the addition of larger, heavier mud tyres (as expected) and I'm averaging 1.5L/100km more - this could also be due to doing a lot more off road travel now with the more reliable grip too. I"m hedging my bets until I have 10,000km on them at least.

Next post: I'll try to upload some video to illustrate how these tyres are in various conditions.
Old 15-04-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Try some MORryde heavy duty hinges.....you'll find them by google...most of the Jeep parts sellers list them.....greasable HD steel hinges to carry the load of the bigger tyre.
Quite a bit cheaper than a carrier, if you don't need the carrier/bumper combo....

Old 27-04-2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi NTRubicon

Im trying to work out the best tyre size too and this is great info cheers.

Good to know there's no rubbing until you disconnect the sway bar on a 285/70

Just want to know what motor/tranny you have? 3.8 or 3.6, did the bigger tyres make it much more sluggish?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 27-04-2016
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto88 View Post
Hi NTRubicon

Im trying to work out the best tyre size too and this is great info cheers.

Good to know there's no rubbing until you disconnect the sway bar on a 285/70

Just want to know what motor/tranny you have? 3.8 or 3.6, did the bigger tyres make it much more sluggish
I've got a 3.6 rubicon unlimited with 4.1:1 gearing as standard, and the bottom end torque is a 'little' more sluggish on the road, but off-road it's just right.

The sport model gearing is 3.73 which is a little worse for performance but it's a manageable loss at the bottom end for a slightly better cruising revs. My friend has the sport model shorty and his downhill low range is already too fast for his preference, so when he upgrades to 285 he plans to install 4,56 gears and a rear locker.

Fuel consumption overall is 0.6-1.1L/100km worse with the tyres but I am doing a LOT more off-road now I have tyres with grip on them. I'll show some tread updates after doing a mountainside recovery last week (scrambling up a loose rock hill on 30% gradients with 2t of broken MQ Patrol has given me a chip or three on some tread blocks) when I can get some decent pics of the chips (minimal damage)
Old 27-04-2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That makes me a bit concerned about my 3.8 on 3.21 gears... oh well

Cheers for the info again.

Old 28-04-2016
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto88 View Post
That makes me a bit concerned about my 3.8 on 3.21 gears... oh well

Cheers for the info again.

Here's a chart to work out what's best in gearing and tyre sizes for your engine and transmission
http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mechanical/gearratio.html
Post New Thread  Reply