Brake Rattle................ - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Question Brake Rattle................

My drivers front brake RATTLES!!!...................
The brakes work fine new pads but it rattles on Bumps and is a constant Chatter on dirt roads..............
I know what it is....................
Its where the front brake pads fit on the wheel knuckle? is that the term?
Pads are tight in the Calliper but where they slide along the bit off the hub its worn and the pads rattle..........can I just weld some lines on there build it up a bit then grind it down to be a snug fit again has anyone come across this before how did you deal with it?
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-05-2017
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

It sounds like you are talking about the slide pins. DO NOT WELD THEM!
If it is the slide pins, find some good calipers. They are not expensive...even new.
Old 11-05-2017
AJOR Bronze

no no no nothing to do with the caliper when the caliper is bolted on using the slide pins where the pads that stick out the caliper slide on the hub
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

I've heard of people welding the grooves up & grinding off smooth with no problems. Also read someone made stainless shims to sit over the whole thing to give a new surface. It stops the pads falling out & moving back & forth too much, that's how you get the grooves. If you build them up with weld don't make the fit too tight or you might have other problems. They're a loose fit when new, so only go back to original size. On mine I just ground them down level as the grooves weren't very deep, maybe weld them next time. I smeared a little bit of anti seize on but I doubt it is of any benefit, probably provides something for the dust to stick to.
Old 11-05-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Those mounting ledges are really rails that the brake pads ride on. They take all the force of the brake pads trying to spin with the rotor as they clamp the rotor. The caliper is a floating caliper, meaning its just mounted on its own sliding rails/pins to fit over the pads and squeeze them like a vice, the caliper doesn't have to fight spinning with the rotor, the pads are on rails to counter that.

As the pad wear and become thinner, they have to move along that rail closer to the rotor so they can still make contact with the rotor, even though they are thinner. The caliper, having only one piston, has to also slide along its own rail/pins as the single piston extends to take up the difference of the thinner pads and pull the pads. This set up is far cheaper and more reliable, then other set-ups where you have to have multiple pistons on each side of the caliper to equally squeeze and move the pads and the caliper has to take up all the force/torque of wanting to spin with the rotor as it squeezes the rotor. The floating caliper has 1 piston, and its able to slide around over the top of the pads, which the pads are mounted solid on the rails around the rotor."

Here are mine below. The top and bottom rails were worn like this on both sides of the Jeep...

When the rails are worn, your pads can't slide properly and get jammed and twisted causing low pedal, uneven pad wear etc..

So, i got the welder out, and with a little dab of weld and a bit of grind i got a nice smooth surface for the pads to run along.

Next job was to replace the pads. The new ones were so unevenly worn due to them getting jammed on the rails and twisting, that i chucked them even though they have only done 200 k's. The local auto shop had some cheapies for $39 and it was worth me grabbing them just to trial everything out. I also believe my calipers are knackered. They are 20 years old and a bit of wear here and there and even with the rebuild kits i put in, i think they are sticking, which is also wearing the pads.

Anyway, replaced all the pads, did a bit of bleeding and all of a sudden i had a nice pedal again. Just a small touch of the brakes and they are grabbing again, so there you go!!
Old 12-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

That's a better explanation than I gave Alex. The pads on mine had worn unevenly too, I could feel the metal backing plate catching in the grooves & the right hand side rattled a bit, all good now. I reckon lulu will have his rattle free in a couple of home brews.
Old 12-05-2017
AJOR Bronze

That's what I am talking about Alex thanks for the info exactly what I was thinking of doing mine don't grab or twist just rattle on bumps
Thanks
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply