Diesel not cranking - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-09-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Diesel not cranking

Hey guys,

Strange problem today. The engine won't crank when I turn the key. The fuse was blown so I used the 30 amp headlight one to see if that would work, it didn't work and that fuse blew too. Also tried swapping relays. The connections on the starter motor seem algood, I replaced it maybe a year and a half ago. Any ideas? Battery connections seem fine and I was able to bump start it

Not sure if this is related, but just in the last few days the power windows and stereo stop working (lose power) for short periods of time, maybe 30 seconds or so.
Old 19-09-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

not knowing nothing about diesel but electrics are electrics from what have said sounds like you might have a bad earth some where
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 20-09-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

I assume by "bumb" starting you towed it or ran it down a hill.
Was the fuse you replaced the ignition fuse, that is the one that controls the power to the key switch? Or the one on the circuit to the bendix unit on the starter?
If you have a relay with the lid off, you can push on the flapper & see if the starter turns. Alternatively if you bridge the right 2 pin holes with the relay out, it should turn over, dont know what 2 because I have a relay that I can lift the lid off easy.
If it turns ok then you have a short in the key circuit. Have fun finding it! Maybe loom damage. If it doesnt crank with the bridge or relay work, its the lead from the relay to the starter or the bendix.
Hope that helps.
Old 20-09-2020

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I still need to check the earth's.

I just got a couple of friends to give me a push. It was the 20a starter fuse I replaced. I spent all afternoon trying work it out and I tried bridging the two pin holes with the relay out and it cranked. Then I put the relay back in, expecting it not to start with the key, but it did. So I'm quite confused and now I have a working vehicle which I can't trust. Could it just be that the starter was seized?

I'm thinking next steps are: check the earth's and look for a short? Electrics aren't my specialty so we'll see how it goes.
Old 20-09-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arotovegan View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I still need to check the earth's.

I just got a couple of friends to give me a push. It was the 20a starter fuse I replaced. I spent all afternoon trying work it out and I tried bridging the two pin holes with the relay out and it cranked. Then I put the relay back in, expecting it not to start with the key, but it did. So I'm quite confused and now I have a working vehicle which I can't trust. Could it just be that the starter was seized?

I'm thinking next steps are: check the earth's and look for a short? Electrics aren't my specialty so we'll see how it goes.
Sounds like a bad connection or 2. I have had the issue you had with no crank & then crank. I found the connection of the smaller wire on the starter needed cleaning. A PITA to get to.
You may have a need to clean the contacts where the relay plugs in.
The issue with diesels is that at some stage in their life most have had an air leak in the fuel system & people tend to just crank it till it has bled. The result is a starter system that has done many times the work it should. I have been lucky to only had issues with connections on the starter.
I would suggest that you get rid of the lockdown tabs on the relay cap so you can just take the cap off it & press the flapper down to make it crank. That way you are not pulling the relay out. Its handy if you need to turn the engine over when under the bonnet. I have done it with every car I have had that had a starter relay.
Old 22-09-2020

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Unfortunately, this issue will have to wait as my thermostat got stuck open during the weekend. I have actually had a new water pump, belt, hoses, and thermostat sitting around for a while since I know how important it is to keep the cooling system in shape, but I just never found time to do it all since the XJ is my daily. Guess I should consider myself lucky that it didn't get stuck closed. Started taking it apart last night, hopefully I can get it all done by the end of the week.

Will get onto my electrical problem after that.
Old 10-10-2020
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello. I apologize for my English, as my native Russian. I own a 1997 Cherokee XJ 4x4 2.5 tdi. Recently, during a trip, the "Check Engine" indicator came on and at the same time the arrow of the thermometer, which shows the temperature of the coolant, fell. But there was no loss of power, and the engine was gaining speed. I stopped, checked the electrical connection of the sensor and decided to return home. But from that moment on, the car stopped starting. When I turn the ignition key, I hear relay clicks, but even the starter does not turn the crankshaft. I also completely disconnected the connector from the sensor and tried to start the engine, but there was no result. At the same time, regardless of the physical connection of the temperature sensor, the arrow of the thermometer when the power is turned on deviates to the right up to ~ 40-50 degrees Celsius. Next, I ran a self-test using the ignition key. The on-board computer showed only the code: 22. The resistance of the sensor at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius is 2kOhm. My engine has only one coolant temperature sensor with a three-pin connector. All catalogs available in Eastern Europe give me results with two-contact sensors. There is a number on the sensor itself, but Google does not recognize it. Please help me understand if a non-working temperature sensor can block the start of the engine, how to get around it? Also help to find the correct sensor code, or its analog with three contacts.
P. S. I rang the wiring to the control unit.
Post New Thread  Reply