Cherokee KJ or Totota Prado? - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

In a late model KJ with Selectrak 4Hi would be where you want to be in heavy rain or snow. Mine loves the snow, and no chains required.
Old 10-02-2009
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azasjeep View Post
exactly mate, just check out the kj pics thread of my kj with a crdstu in every second post.

I see more custom prados than ive ever seen kj's
yes funny that aza i have seen more custom prados too , especially being beaten on offroad never seem to see many kj,s out wheeling though
Old 10-02-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
In a late model KJ with Selectrak 4Hi would be where you want to be in heavy rain or snow. Mine loves the snow, and no chains required.
id rather a low wide car with decent tyres and DSC like an xr6 turbo
Old 10-02-2009
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
id rather a low wide car with decent tyres and DSC like an xr6 turbo
xr6 turbo crushes scum
Old 10-02-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
exactly mate, just check out the kj pics thread of my kj with a crdstu in every second post.

I see more custom prados than ive ever seen kj's

Funny, I've only ever seen one moded prado.... & it had road tyres. But that's in the small area I drive every day.

Go the KJ mate, you wont look back... oh and remember AJOR isn't the only place you will find KJ's or JEEPS for that matter Remember to grow a thick skin cos you will need it

Oh well.. just depends on how much money you can spend and what you want to do in your JEEP.

and 1 concept KJ

Got to love the KJ
Old 11-02-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ozzzie,

now you've made up your mind, I'd suggest a look at a late model CRD. My 07 model came with ESP and traction control and the ESP can be turned off manually when off road. it's automatically turned off when in low.
245/75 Maxxis Bighorns
Old 11-02-2009
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzie View Post
Thanks a heap guys, you have all been really helpful. I have spent hours researching this and all the suggestions and opinions on here have made a big difference.

I'm thinking that the KJ would suit my needs the best on paper so to speak, so its off to take some for a test drive to be sure!

PS i just had a crash in my currnet car in bloody awful weather, those armco barriers are pretty tough! Pitty the road was sh!t! Not too bad but I think I'll be making a purchase soon. Is the part time 4wd setting for wet and snowy roads any good in the Jeep?

No good crashing your car, makes for less on a trade in......

The Autos all have what is called "Fulltime 4wd" which is effectively All Wheel Drive. It does not lock the transfer case diff so the front and rear drivetrain can run at different speeds, so its safe to use the vehicle on sealed roads, makes for excellent traction in the wet and slippery conditions, and will always out perform a two wheel drive car regardless of centre of gravity in slippery conditions, its about traction and inhertia and keeping control, also, The ABS brakes work a treat, I know, they have saved me quite a few times on wet roads, and on slippery dirt surfaces as well. The later models also have "ESP" which is supposed to be pretty good for on road purposes, but, have heard most like to turn it off offroad.

PS The "Part time 4wd" setting Locks the centre diff so front and rear wheels drive at the same rate, you do not drive on sealed roads with this setting, it is only meant for OFFROAD applications. (Thus their thinking "Parttime" you should only use "Part of the Time" , "FullTime" you can use "Fulltime" regardless of road surface.) Obviously the 4Lo setting is loced between front and rear and should DEFINATELY only be used OFFROAD , you can do major damage if you try pushing the drivetrain in this mode.

PPS, when I talk of Locking the diff, There is a diff in the transfer case that locks, I'm not talking about Front or Rear DIFF locks, The KJ doesn't have those standard, but, like everything you can have them fitted.

There you go.

Tales.......of Interest!!!

Last edited by cmohr; 11-02-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply