ATF+4 substitute fluid - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-05-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskmaster View Post
Dealer in Melbourne quoted $140 for 4lt (~3.74lt) of Mopar ATF +4.
Poly 4x4 quoted $90 for same. Still bloody expensive for "Transmission Fluid".
I got 2 Gallons (1 Gallon = 4 Quarts = 3.74 ltrs) of Mopar ATF+4 for Just under $120 from Jeep dealer at Camelia in Sydney. 6 Quarts for transmission and 2 Quarts in transfercase. The Mopar tranny filter was $66 and Mopar oil filter was $22.... Melbourne is trying to rip you off with those sky high prices....
Old 22-05-2012
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

AFAIK theres nothing special required for the transfer - good quality ATF will be fine. Its not like the auto with clutches etc etc. The case just needs good lubrication.
Old 23-05-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrazy View Post
ended up using the Nulon full synthetic ATF+4 compatible transmission fluid.

However, I experiencing a issue in the transmission of a a delayed start.

It's only in the morning when I take off from my house to approach the main road (20m) to stop and sitting there for 5 -10 seconds. when I push the accelerator to turn into the road, the car doesn't take off immidiatly, only after a second or two.

what is your thought on this? the transmission does not loose any fluid and the dipstick shows correct level of fluid. I will try to top up a bit, to see if it does make any difference.

Alternatevly I will buy the MOPAR ATF+4, don't know if I should flush the box again and replace filter, or if I can use a pump to suck out the fluid and replace it with the MOPAR one. I know that mixing fluids is not ideal but Nulon and Mopar suppose to be compatibel.
Not sure which tranmission you have but your problem is a symptom of a faulty anti-drain back valve, which is one of the things that should be changed in any auto tranny service (along with the filters). The valve prevents fluid draining out of the pump when the vehicle is sitting unused for prolonged periods (like overnight, or just when your doing the shopping). Interim fix is to just let it idle for 30 seconds or so before you try to drive it, this allows the pump to refill the system.
Old 23-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Not sure which tranmission you have but your problem is a symptom of a faulty anti-drain back valve, which is one of the things that should be changed in any auto tranny service (along with the filters). The valve prevents fluid draining out of the pump when the vehicle is sitting unused for prolonged periods (like overnight, or just when your doing the shopping). Interim fix is to just let it idle for 30 seconds or so before you try to drive it, this allows the pump to refill the system.
this sounds reasonable, but moving from P to Drive and driving down the road for 20m indicates the system is filled with fluid. unless the pump is pushing air (bubble) into it and causes the gear to disengage until pressure builds up to switch valves?

But thanks for the hint, I probably looking into redraining the tranny again and replacing this valve too. It's just a shity job and messy.
Old 24-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Measuring the fluid level whilst idling in neutral did the trick.

The level is lower in neutral than in park mode. A decent top up of ATF fixed the issue.
Old 01-08-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Remember, for best performance and vehicle warranty compliance select only licensed ATF+4® for your
Chrysler Group vehicle. Use of non-licensed ATF brands may damage your vehicle or void your warranty.
Please contact us to report unauthorized use of the ATF+4® trademark by non-licensed brands.

Advance Auto Parts ATF+4®
Amalie ATF+4®
Auto Extra ATF+4®
AutoZone ATF+4®
Carquest ATF+4®
Castrol ATF+4®
Castrol Transmax ATF+4®
Chevron ATF+4®
Citgo Transgard ATF+4®
Coastal ATF+4®
Craft+4 ATF+4®
Federated Auto Parts ATF+4®
Great Wall ATF+4®
Havoline ATF+4®
MAG 1 ATF+4®
Mobil ATF+4®
Mobil Super ATF+4®
Mopar ATF+4®
NAPA ATF+4®
Northland ATF+4®
O’Reilly ATF+4®
Parts Master ATF+4®
Parts Plus ATF+4®
Pennzoil ATF+4®
Petro-Canada ATF+4®
Prime Guard ATF+4 ®
Proline ATF+4®
Pronto ATF+4®
Pure Guard ATF+4®
Quaker State ATF+4®
Ravenol ATF+4®
Sinopec ATF+4®
Super Tech ATF+4®
Tutela Transmission Force4 ATF+4®
Valvoline ATF+4®

Licensed ATF+4 Brands as of 04/01/2012 - http://www.centerforqa.com/images/20...sed_Brands.pdf
[END QUOTE]

I did a big search a while back of which of these certified ATF+4 products are available in Australia. And the answer is NONE, except for Mopar of course. I called the Valvoline Australia rep who said there is no such oil in Australia. And none of the others are available in the shelves.

There are, however, a few self-certified ATF+4 products available in Australia. These are the only 2 I know:
Gulf Western SYNTRANS
Nulon SYNATF - although it doesn't mention it on the bottle any more

Whether or not they actually comply with the standard, who knows. Gulf Western was a lot cheaper though at about $50 for 5L.

And the price of Mopar ATF+4 is a joke because the whole concept of ATF+4 was that it was supposed to be a special formulation providing what the transmission needed and sharing some characteristics of sythetic oil but without the synthetic price tag.

Its like the government reducing red tape but do the taxes ever go down?

I'm going with Great Western. If the transmission breaks, I'll rebuild it and I'll never know if it was because of the oil.
Old 02-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does anyone know how many litres are required to dump fully the crd manual transmission oil and replace it? I've been told 2L is this tue?
Post New Thread  Reply