Tyres - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2003
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

get some 16" rims.
Old 21-12-2003
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Fitted a set of Cooper ST's 15" X 30" X 9.5 all round and couldn't be happier.
No sign of wear like I had with the GSA's that just went ballistic with heel/toe wear on the Grand (fact of life with perm. 4X4)
Grip like glue. Minimum weights on the wheels. Not very noisy and will be hard to damage.

I had a puny stick go straight through the mid-case of a GSA .

Third set of Coopers (different sizes - different Jeeps) and I'm a big fan.

Unless you want to fit Simex that is...
Old 21-12-2003
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Dependant on manufacturer variances 265/65r17 ot 245/70r17 will increase your actual speed by 5.1% over indicated speed. The 275/65r17 will increase it by 7.1%. Both the 265 & 275 will probably rub at least slightly.
If your driving is street & sand then I would go with the Goodyear SR/A (not the F1 which is a directional tyre) or the Dunlop Grandtreks.
If you want a slightly more agressive tread then the Bridgestone D693 would still be my choice (& they are available in 265/65r17 - new size)having a more robust casing than the Yokohama GO11. The Yokies will stick like s##t to a blanket tho. I havent had many good results with the D684 but I am sure someone will will have a good experience with them.
Sorry OzJeeper but never having owned a Coopers I can only go on what my customers have reported & what I have seen when servicing their cars.
HTH
David
Old 22-12-2003
Sticker Ninja!

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good info guys, i'll be buying tyres for my grand in the not too distant future too.

As for speedo error calcs, here's a good tyre size calc. where you punch in your existing and new tyre sizes and it spits out a whole bunch of stats including speedo error at 100k's hr.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 23-12-2003
asp_777
Visitor

Like that web Site!!
Old 18-01-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp_777
Any recommendations for tyres 235/65/17 for wj2001 grand cherokee Ltd . Need to replace all four. Mainly used on-road and sand/dirt driving. Thanks steve
gidday asp - did you do any thing yet

Wrench - hope u had a good trip - piccies - did u go the 265/65/17's yet - i suppose yuo might get them in your guards ok because of your lift.
ceeya

Old 18-01-2004
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Hi fellas.
Thanks Goodol55, we did have a great trip. It turned into a road tour as everyone advised against towing the trailer on the tracks & our timetable was pretty tight. Did drop the trailer for a day & drove from Mansfield to Craigs hut & across Mt Stirling. track was in very good condition & a lot of fun. Forestry logging had 1 road I tried to take closed off. Geez it was bloody hot & dry down there.
I'll see if there's any pics worth posting. Couldnt convince the wife to run up the hills first to get any action shots.
At 22,000 kms my tyres are about 1/2 worn so probably cant justify replacing them till about 35k. Still doesnt hurt to check options in case. Got quite a few cuts & chunks missing.
Have to follow thru & catch up one day. Maybe a Grand gathering at Mt Mee or similar.
Regards
David
Post New Thread  Reply