Oil Change, engine and transmission issues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Oil Change, engine and transmission issues

Hi Guys,

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee ZJ, and its definitely time for a oil change.
First of all, I am a complete noob regarding to engines, so please bear with me as I may ask some really stupid questions.

The car/engine has no leaks at all, but when I checked the oil last week it is low, both in the engine and in the transmission it seems.

The transmission (i think) has also started to act up a little bit the last couple of months by not releasing the clutch properly when the car is starting certain positions, most of the time in uphill positions, so that the car will start rolling backwards a little before it finally kicks into first gear. This only happens when I keep the gearbox in D, if I put it in park while i stop, there is no issue. It also happens a few times when driving, and especially after slowing down, and the re-accelerating...the engine revs up for a second or two before it kicks into a new gear again.
Could these issues be caused by low oil levels in the transmission, or am I looking at different issues here ?

And, do I need to do a complete change for the transmission oil, or can I top it up ? Just wondering as I would like to do this myself, but I dont have a proper garage to do it in.

Also wondering about which engine oil would be best, I've seen people reccomending both 20W/50 and 30W/40 i think. The car is mostly used for highway driving. What would be a good choice for me ?

Am I able to do these oil changes myself, or should I just save up and take it to a mechanic ? just asking because Im really trying to keep costs down at this point....but I don't want to end up making decisions that will make it costly down the road....

Cheers guys, any input is welcome !
Old 11-02-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can top it up but give the issues and I'm assuming you don't know when it was done last, I'd just replace it. Low fluid could cause those issues, they can be very sensitive to it.
Can't help on ZJ oil but someone will be able to
Old 11-02-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

As bikemat says, also make sure you check trans oil level with engine running & transmission in nuetral not park.makes big difference.Use 15 or 20w ,30w way to thick.
If it hasnt been done it might be best to get trans proffesionally serviced.
Old 11-02-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,937 Times in 2,323 Posts

My first Jeep was a ZG, I would suggest you get a reliable Auto Trans mechanic to service your auto, if you don't have a hoist its not nice to do. You should be right to do your engine oil a Ryco Z89A oil filter, Ryco A1332 Air Filter, Ryco Z570 fuel filter.
Valvoline 20W50 for the engine. Works well and doesn't break the bank.

Repco has a listing of parts for the ZG online in the FWD section.

Think of getting a Haynes Workshop manual about $65 or PM me and I may be able to find a CD manual for you.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 08-05-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverduck View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee ZJ, and its definitely time for a oil change.
First of all, I am a complete noob regarding to engines, so please bear with me as I may ask some really stupid questions.

The car/engine has no leaks at all, but when I checked the oil last week it is low, both in the engine and in the transmission it seems.

The transmission (i think) has also started to act up a little bit the last couple of months by not releasing the clutch properly when the car is starting certain positions, most of the time in uphill positions, so that the car will start rolling backwards a little before it finally kicks into first gear. This only happens when I keep the gearbox in D, if I put it in park while i stop, there is no issue. It also happens a few times when driving, and especially after slowing down, and the re-accelerating...the engine revs up for a second or two before it kicks into a new gear again.
Could these issues be caused by low oil levels in the transmission, or am I looking at different issues here ?

And, do I need to do a complete change for the transmission oil, or can I top it up ? Just wondering as I would like to do this myself, but I dont have a proper garage to do it in.

Also wondering about which engine oil would be best, I've seen people reccomending both 20W/50 and 30W/40 i think. The car is mostly used for highway driving. What would be a good choice for me ?

Am I able to do these oil changes myself, or should I just save up and take it to a mechanic ? just asking because Im really trying to keep costs down at this point....but I don't want to end up making decisions that will make it costly down the road....

Cheers guys, any input is welcome !
mate id say its just nornal for any motor or trans to use a bit of oil so long as its not to much.
you can add some trany fluid to top it up or if trans fluid is dirty (black) then its time to change it. if you dont know how then take it to someone who does
Old 08-05-2011
Discombobulation express

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Get proactive with the tranny service. Its the biggest item to replace on a ZG that i have seen. My quote was $2400-$4200 for a rebuild- i thought I'd misheard the guy!! Wreckers flog them for anywhere between $800 to $1200. Gearbox service? Much, much less. Only other tip is to check out the tranny lines for bends & crushes- again just like mine.
Post New Thread  Reply