Another leaking injector seal - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-10-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Another leaking injector seal

Hi all
Just noticed number 2 injector leaking today.
I have the new bolt and washer $9 from mb in maroochydore.
Im going to do it myself,
Any suggestion, do's and dont's would be very appreciated
Cheers
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 005.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	57469   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	57471  

Last edited by wadonga; 15-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 15-10-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

If you read some of the write ups on this I'm sure they suggest it's a good thing to retap the bolt hole and there is a special tap available to do this. Been ages since I read any of the write ups but there are some good ones around. Things like warming the engine up first to help if the bolt is tight. Might pay to google for a write up, not sure if anyone did it on here. Not hard to do but some handy hints none the less.

I would nearly think you are better off doing all of them together.
Old 15-10-2012
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Read the manual on installing and follow the torque instructions so you don't have any issues there. Also you need to make sure the seat for the injector is flat.

I made a dowel the right size (OD of lower part of injector) and glued some emery paper to it to make sure the seat was flat as possible. I used a flexible scope to look at the seat, once it was good I vacuumed it all then installed the injector. So far all is good.
Old 15-10-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is there a risk of bits going into cylinder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
Read the manual on installing and follow the torque instructions so you don't have any issues there. Also you need to make sure the seat for the injector is flat.

I made a dowel the right size (OD of lower part of injector) and glued some emery paper to it to make sure the seat was flat as possible. I used a flexible scope to look at the seat, once it was good I vacuumed it all then installed the injector. So far all is good.
Old 15-10-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Watching with interest would love to do all mine, before I have too!!!
interested in any details on drilling/punching holes to get at the back too as well
no derail intended of course
Old 16-10-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a couple of points to remember:

make sure the seal seat is clean (as mentioned) I used a vacuum with a small clear hose attached to it and some duct tape to adapt down to the smaller size. I also used plenty of wd40 to clean any swarf/filings and would stick the vacum hose into the top of the cylinder and injector seat to make sure all was clean, then used a good torch to visually check.

There are two types of copper seal. one has a slight dome. Make sure you use that one as it seals HEAPS better.

USE THE TAP TO CLEAN THE THREAD. The injector bolt should screw in easily. If it doesn't then clean it. OTHERWISE IT WILL BREAK. (unfortunately im speaking from experience).
Also once you have cleaned the thread, VACUUM IT OUT. Otherwise your bolt will get tight too early.

not sure on antisieze but prob worth applying as this will help the next guy servicing it. (COULD BE YOU)

warm up the engine to loosen any gunk that has hardened on the bolt thread. If the bolt is still tight to remove, get a heat gun onto the area to loosen it further. The hotter the bolt, the thinner that gunk becomes.

Such a simple job with patience, the right tools, and the right procedure.

wehireit.com.au
parkersgoods.com.au Jeep Parts
Old 16-10-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

The copper injector seals should be replaced when you refit the injectors. If replacing them is impossible you need to anneal the old ones. Unless you do this the copper has hardened and won't seal the injector. The new or annealed seals will conform to the injector and seal then harden in place.
Matt