Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD - Page 22 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-10-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi, Was thinking of adding a push fan to ,my 2.5 VM Jeep as ive been given one. Thought this may assist during queues to work when the jeep gets a bit warm. Would this help or cause issues? i.e through normal fan off, block air circulation etc
Old 15-10-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,545 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminol View Post
Hi, Was thinking of adding a push fan to ,my 2.5 VM Jeep as ive been given one. Thought this may assist during queues to work when the jeep gets a bit warm. Would this help or cause issues? i.e through normal fan off, block air circulation etc
A new heavy duty fan clutch will surprise you with how much air they put through the radiator.
I take it that as you are already concerned about overheating, you are in the northern hemisphere? How about putting your location in your info.
Old 15-10-2015
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Im from the Uk and drive the Diesel Vm. It can destroy the engine if it overheats so wanted to throw an aux fan in as a last ditch attempt to cool if it gets hot. it was going over a 100 degrees c whilst queuing recently. its not been a problem but dont ever want to be in a position where its getting warm and i cant do anything about it till i get home etc
Old 15-10-2015
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminol View Post
Im from the Uk and drive the Diesel Vm. It can destroy the engine if it overheats so wanted to throw an aux fan in as a last ditch attempt to cool if it gets hot. it was going over a 100 degrees c whilst queuing recently. its not been a problem but dont ever want to be in a position where its getting warm and i cant do anything about it till i get home etc
A heavy duty fan clutch will probably fix it if its happening when queuing. You could also put a manual switch on the existing electric fan. Your hot days are not that hot compared with what we see here. where I am we get 45 C days in summer. we had 35 C today & its only mid spring.
Old 11-02-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

So, Gents - this 1000 th post and it is finally time to say goodbye.

I got plenty of mail on how to descriptions- so I decided to write a book- this is done, and I'm not happy with it.
Inspired by GoJeep I created my own website.
A site only related to Diesel and Diesel performance.

The major difference- access is granted only on invitation and member discussion.
I did this to prevent quick and dirt cheap access to knowledge.
If you want to know stuff- you simply have to pay for it. As I did previously before you.

Performance is not free.
Being able to over 200km/h top speed did cost me a bit. If you want to be able to do the same, so you have to pay too.

Upgrading will cost you - not on new parts but on replacement of old at least 14 year old parts.
Intercooler hoses will blow up. Seals will start to leak if you try to join in the 160hp+ class.

Your decision.
Last sentence:
The Vm engine is a good and reliable engine- if it fails, you simply did no maintenance- dig it!

I will read on the site, but no more writing, contact is still available via pm messages.

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 11-02-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2016
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post

I got plenty of mail on how to descriptions- so I decided to write a book- this is done, and I'm not happy with it.

The major difference- access is granted only on invitation and member discussion.
If you want to know stuff- you simply have to pay for it. As I did previously before you.

Performance is not free.
Being able to over 200km/h top speed did cost me a bit. If you want to be able to do the same, so you have to pay too.

Upgrading will cost you - not on new parts but on replacement of old at least 14 year old parts.
Intercooler hoses will blow up. Seals will start to leak if you try to join in the 160hp+ class.

Your decision.
Last sentence:
The Vm engine is a good and reliable engine- if it fails, you simply did no maintenance- dig it!

I will read on the site, but no more writing, contact is still available via pm messages.
@Deezelweazel
Congratulations on your decision to do so with your website! I'll be happy to follow you on your new endeavor on diesels although I will think twice before buying another VM on a Jeep sincerely.

Therefore, below is a reply on your "last sentence": VM49C (177HP) on the JK 2007-2009 is NOT a reliable engine" and some pictures added.

Pictures of my engine after 174.000 km.
Some facts:
Before the blowout I heard for 2 minutes the sexy ticking noise and reduced speed and tried to stop. Well it was not possible cause in next seconds the below pictured engine exploded and I loose the control of the vehicle. Luckily we were on a side road with not traffic and I was able to stop the JK safely. It was a f..ing LUCK! Apologies to the audience for being so lucky tough !

This VM49C 2008 engine came from my 2009 JKU and was maintained from 0 km by me by the book - every 10k km.. No compromises whatsoever were made if it came to original filters, liquids, etc.
Regarding engine oil currently I use only RedLine I trust no more Mobil1 (counterfeited unfortunately in this part of the world )
So the pictures

Engine was perforated on both sides.

A crankshaft close-up:

Another sexy pictures:

Same happened also to other VM49C's installed on JK, in Europe or in South Africa at about the same mileage <200k.

Apparently the cause is a cylinder head bolt failure ) which in case of other diesel car manufacturers was recognized (e.g. M156, more details HERE, etc). Another suspicion is related to a broken cap bolt (part 05093889AA) of 2nd piston's connecting rod.

I thought I was not "lucky" enough but to me it seems such an engine failure happens quite often to VM49C.

The 2010 VM installed on Jeeps are upgraded and it seems at least they are more dependable hence I know yet nobody with >200km on their dash.

However I heard nobody have a say about how LEMON these VMs49C sh..ty are.

Personally I had no stomach nor a budget to spent to fight FCA about their proudly presented diesels.

I look forward to receiving your 1001 message/reply.
Cheers from Bucharest!

JKU 2009, 2,8 CRD, ARB, OME, IPF, Mopar, Warn
www.jeepromania.ro

Last edited by Irishcoffee; 11-02-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post

Performance is not free.

Your decision.
Last sentence:

Good luck DW ! you are one of the good guys! No BS, just say it how it is.
I will miss your comments as they always are at a technical level second to none.
good luck with what ever you do.