XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 48 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2011
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza96 View Post
not to repeat what you said tranny rad oil cooler tranny is the factory way right?

I thought stock setup was, trany oil cooler, radiator, tranny. was a while ago now though..

thought about it some more and now completely confused. I can not remember
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Last edited by rainman; 10-01-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
I thought stock setup was, trany oil cooler, radiator, tranny. was a while ago now though..

thought about it some more and now completely confused. I can not remember
ok well do you know the top and botom metal tranny lines witch one in the return line top or botom?
Old 10-01-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

according to my '96 FSM flow is as follows: supply line on the tranny is the forward port (return is the rear). supply then goes to the top port on the rad. from the rad it goes to the cooler and then back to the tranny. this is for right hand drive.
Old 10-01-2011
AJOR Gold

ps - the lower port on the cooler goes back to the tranny (return line)
Old 10-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok thanks for clearing that up rodgebone now the million dollar question is i am runing it factory setup with a arad rad and a derale tranny cooler but is plumbed like factory
trany rad cooler tranny what is the best systerm? tranny rad cooler tranny or tranny cooler rad tranny or just tranny cooler tranny like evey body else does and all so the boil point for the rad water is 130 degress ruffly what is the boil point fot the tranny oil? and do i really need to put a temp guage on tranny that is all serviced up with bigger cooler and all that i mean it is now perfect and it will stay like that i keep a very good eye on my jeep engine and trany wise and change oil as soon as they start to change colour cheers dazza

(also to i have been a small test for me self and have found weather the thermo state is in or out fuel usage is the same but i have no overheating propblem if i just leave the thermostate out it takes about 5 mins of driveing to get to temp with the themostate out and sits at about 50 degress all day buy it self but i want to make my self clear thermostate in or out does nothing for fuel usage it the same

Last edited by dazza96; 10-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2011
AJOR Gold

i think thats the question everyone here is asking and trying to determine. im of the opinion the radiator s/b bypassed unless its USA style like Nakkas and even then im wondering if its really necessary. the direction of heat flow in the rad exchanger is going to vary depending on climate, usage, individual situations and the condition of the system itself. but having said that i think its not going to be a big enough difference between the average temp of the tranny fluid and the coolant as far as determining whether the exchanger really contributes to lower tranny temps. near as i can tell its a crap shoot at this point. what we really need is some temp recordings before and after mods.
Old 10-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok i am just going to throw this out there in the old days of the torannas and the 202 motor same basic construstion no alloy in the motor at all i use to just rip the thermo state out and never had a problom with damage to the motor at all if any thing the non ally motor prefer to run cool instead of hot and just watch the temp guage go up and down but didnt damage the motor at all i still got 500 thousand ks of the engine before i needed a new one the temp would go up when it was put under load but went back down after it started to cruise along again

i think it is a given xj just over heat off road all we are chasing is a window of useable temps before we cook them corect me if i am wrong

Last edited by dazza96; 10-01-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply