Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post

LPG in a Diesel?

Combine propane and its 110-octane rating with diesel's 15 to 2S-octane rating, you're set up for a bad case of detonation if conditions in the combustion chamber are right (or wrong).

What happens is the propane, because it's in vapor form already, is dispersed throughout the combustion chamber and reacts more quickly with the available oxygen molecules once combustion begins.

The first part of the diesel cycle goes okay; the diesel fuel is injected and starts to react at the lower temperature. But as soon as the temp is high enough the propane starts grabbing the oxygen generating a lot of heat and pressure quickly.
This happens so quickly in fact that the diesel being injected doesn't have a chance to burn correctly, it just collects in the combustion chamber. The fast burn of the propane raises the pressure high enough to surpass the detonation limit of the unburned diesel fuel, causing it to ignite in pockets within the combustion chamber(valve pockets in the piston head).
The flame fronts collide at inopportune times (detonation).

This is not a controlled compression ignition and will hurt your engine.
Be careful with experiments.
I thought that you did not want anymore talk about things that did not improve reliabilty

As with all things it is in the control and delivery of the fuel. It is introduced in small percentages and actually gives complete combustion of the diesel - this is where the better economy comes from.

It is used quite extensively in trucks where say a 10% improvement makes a lot of difference. - but as I said no use in a VM as an increase in combustion temperatures - as your suggestion of adding methanol to water would do.

Also your earlier comments on alternative fuels - most filter their used products down to 1 micron absolute - as everyone knows that particles going into the injectors/pumps ain't good - also many of the fuels are used in generators anyway as they are not legal to use on roads with no fuel duty paid (dependent on countries). Did you think they just tipped the waste products into the tank and went?

But vegoil in a VM is a good thing - might not be the best for it but a lot do it without issue
Old 08-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smiths View Post
Did you think they just tipped the waste products into the tank and went?
When I read some of the questions being asked here,"Yes, I do think so!"

The time, money and the work to be invested to gain a usable "waste" fuel is way to high in comparison with clean diesel fuel. A filtration system has to be bought, setup and energized.

Have you ever seen a pump from the inside used only half a year with clean bio?
Horrible, in a view of a mechanic!

Propane can be used as a power adder, but it is not cost effective! BTU(propane 90.000BTU per gallon) compared with Diesel(130.000BTU per gallon) is around 1/3 less and the price is higher than Diesel...
Been there, used it, not convinced about it, dumped it...
Old 08-06-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You may be right with filtering and some of the questions - I have actually seen one for sale where the bloke had just tipped used cooking oil in - it was spares or repair

as for filtering waste - I won't do it even though I could have got it free, the smell of it can be terrible (I did try it - as free motoring was quite an incentive - as well as the eco status - but just not worth it)

In the UK the cost of propane is about half the price of diesel (55p/L LPG, diesel is £1.20/L) - even allowing for calorific values. But you would expect a tank of LPG to last around 4 to 6 months, dependent on miles driven - so would not matter that much if it was more expensive.

I have only used bio for a short time, on another jeep - problem with bio is that it is basically a solvent and will remove all of the old diesel deposits/crud and carry it through the system. The use of veg oil does not do any of this - so no early changing of the fuel filter (with bio you would expect to have to change it within 500miles due to contamination)

By the way have got some of those T clamps for the hoses - absolutely excellent piece of kit
Old 08-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Thank you- just make sure to use Anti-Seize in the threads. They can get a bit sticky after time...
I love them for having all the same nut size to loosen them.
Old 08-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

[QUOTE=Deezelweazel;

Propane can be used as a power adder, but it is not cost effective! BTU(propane 90.000BTU per gallon) compared with Diesel(130.000BTU per gallon) is around 1/3 less and the price is higher than Diesel...
Been there, used it, not convinced about it, dumped it...[/QUOTE]

That is very much dependant on where you live, here Diesel is around $1.20/litre, gas is around $0.7/litre and petrol is around $1.25/litre, so gas over Diesel is thought to be an economical alternative with power gains to boot....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 08-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 87 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default XJ TD Intercooler

What about the intercooler? Is it in the best place it can be? To me it doesn't look like it really gets any flow through of air between the fins from the front. Can it be moved & is it really of benefit on the Vm's?
Please do tell me more. I am thinking of 1. getting a lager cooler & 2. removing all together.
Which is the best for this engine & Jeep configuration?

Thanks
Eddy
Old 08-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Deez, what about water/air intercooler?

these are far more efficient at absorbing temp spikes than an air/air