Yet another "My XJ Runs HOT" Post - Page 24 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-02-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

I wonder how LuluBelle's car is?

If you don't ask, you don't learn.
Old 25-02-2016
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Yet another "My XJ Runs HOT" Post

I'll weigh in my experience.
I've had a completely stock setup, a cheap eBay 16" fan replacing the stock belt driven fan and now a Taurus to replace that.
The slim, "high watt" eBay cheapie fan blade fell off and the motor burnt out after about 18 months.
If you want to go electric for its advantages then your setup needs to flow at least more air than your stock setup to be worth it. And from my experience, the Taurus is by far the best value way to do it - reliably. So long as the rest of your system is up to scratch.
/experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-02-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Well Im back Kiddies didn't make the test run to Barcaldin DID THE BIG TRIP!Blackall to Rockhampton about a 6 hr run in the heat of the day I had turn the heater on UP in the RED!!
stayed overnight
A short run the next day Rocky to Biloela a short run heater on to trim off the extra degrees but got hot over the Razor back range
stayed overnight
Biloela to Brisbane once again heater on to keep the temp downish I was doing the trip in a oven 7 hours
arrived Brisbane and I found out that I am STUPID!!!!!!!
I didn't realize that even after flushing and replacing the entire cooling system I did not know that the engine block retains even after dropping the bottom rad hose 4.5 LITRES of WATER!! in my case
Got some new tyres as the old ones were 10 yrs old ouch!
Anyway got a wheel alignment and found out that the heater tap I reolaced last trip had rubbed no 5 spark plug lead I thought it started to miss anyway the mechs put the pump sucking flushing machine on the ol girl n filled her full of 60% Valvoline coolant all good running in the Brisbane traffic 108 constant highway with clean air 1900 rpm at 100 at 103 deg LPG good in Traffic as the gas converter is not overheating TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!
So time to spin up the FTL Drive you know Atomic Batteries to Power ....Turbines to Speed all that positive thinking stuff its a big drive Brisbane to Blackall 1100 and change in about 12 hrs all fluids are good drips here n there but never uses fluids ALL GOOD
Now before we go any further I don't think I mentioned my klms I talked about the cooling system ect
MY SPECS
96 Cherokee Limited 379 Thou Klm petrol gas
new cooling system auto shocks tyres sensors everything past the point of no return
But I love the ol Jeep
Took off Bris northside at about 1.30 am cool runnings 101 103 Toowoomba range up to the RED! but cooled down through town and once again on the highway A2 back around 105 3.30 am lots cool air Roma 8 am around 108 deg 30 min stop left stop Mitchel about 20 mins from then on temps were up mind you 9 hours driving you could cook a steak on the bonnet it was that hot in the RED with the heater on for the next 3 or so hours to get home
MY Conclusion
The cooling system worked perfectly it is the heat build up in the engine bay
It handled the small bris excursions but after continuous running the heat build up is immense SO I am going to Scoop the bonnet get cold air on the exhaust manifold the temp sensor is at the rear of the engine false readings
I dunno that's all I can think of but at 379 thou shes running fine
engine mounts next
Your Thoughts
Old 27-02-2016
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Well I've had mine 4WDing in 38 degrees. Temp gauge just a needle space over half. Stock fans. no bonnet vents. copper radiator. That's climbing hills in low range, climbing hills in high range, stopping and highway . All with the AC on.
Now I've always been a fan of engine driven fans. Manufacturers do it for a reason but after talking to "rainman", he stated that the biggest power upgrade he made was his Taurus fan. That statement has me interested!
Old 27-02-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

I will not mention brands, (unless I like it), but has anybody tried that "Waterless coolant". It is $$$. Worth it?

Also these Taurus fans, do people mount two on a stock setup XJ or is it one with the mechanical fan ?.
I am going to do a new radiator, fan upgrade soon.
Old 27-02-2016
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs18s View Post
I will not mention brands, (unless I like it), but has anybody tried that "Waterless coolant". It is $$$. Worth it?

Also these Taurus fans, do people mount two on a stock setup XJ or is it one with the mechanical fan ?.
I am going to do a new radiator, fan upgrade soon.
The Taurus fan replaces the engine driven fan. You need to mod the Taurus shroud. Go to "Go Jeep" web page. There are U-tube videos on the how to.
Old 28-02-2016
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Well Im back Kiddies didn't make the test run to Barcaldin DID THE BIG TRIP!Blackall to Rockhampton about a 6 hr run in the heat of the day I had turn the heater on UP in the RED!!
stayed overnight
A short run the next day Rocky to Biloela a short run heater on to trim off the extra degrees but got hot over the Razor back range
stayed overnight
Biloela to Brisbane once again heater on to keep the temp downish I was doing the trip in a oven 7 hours
arrived Brisbane and I found out that I am STUPID!!!!!!!
I didn't realize that even after flushing and replacing the entire cooling system I did not know that the engine block retains even after dropping the bottom rad hose 4.5 LITRES of WATER!! in my case
Got some new tyres as the old ones were 10 yrs old ouch!
Anyway got a wheel alignment and found out that the heater tap I reolaced last trip had rubbed no 5 spark plug lead I thought it started to miss anyway the mechs put the pump sucking flushing machine on the ol girl n filled her full of 60% Valvoline coolant all good running in the Brisbane traffic 108 constant highway with clean air 1900 rpm at 100 at 103 deg LPG good in Traffic as the gas converter is not overheating TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!
So time to spin up the FTL Drive you know Atomic Batteries to Power ....Turbines to Speed all that positive thinking stuff its a big drive Brisbane to Blackall 1100 and change in about 12 hrs all fluids are good drips here n there but never uses fluids ALL GOOD
Now before we go any further I don't think I mentioned my klms I talked about the cooling system ect
MY SPECS
96 Cherokee Limited 379 Thou Klm petrol gas
new cooling system auto shocks tyres sensors everything past the point of no return
But I love the ol Jeep
Took off Bris northside at about 1.30 am cool runnings 101 103 Toowoomba range up to the RED! but cooled down through town and once again on the highway A2 back around 105 3.30 am lots cool air Roma 8 am around 108 deg 30 min stop left stop Mitchel about 20 mins from then on temps were up mind you 9 hours driving you could cook a steak on the bonnet it was that hot in the RED with the heater on for the next 3 or so hours to get home
MY Conclusion
The cooling system worked perfectly it is the heat build up in the engine bay
It handled the small bris excursions but after continuous running the heat build up is immense SO I am going to Scoop the bonnet get cold air on the exhaust manifold the temp sensor is at the rear of the engine false readings
I dunno that's all I can think of but at 379 thou shes running fine
engine mounts next
Your Thoughts

The more eth-gly you have in the mix ... the hotter your running temps will be.

A quick read of the specific heat capacities of eth-gly, water, and eth-gly/water mixes will make that apparent.

This is particularly true in an XJ with its barely adequate sized cooling system in hot climate use ... and even more so - if any of the cooling system components are under par.

Get your engine temps down to more realistic levels, work out why the system gets so hot, under load ... and you might not have to unnescessarily destroy your bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
Well I've had mine 4WDing in 38 degrees. Temp gauge just a needle space over half. Stock fans. no bonnet vents. copper radiator. That's climbing hills in low range, climbing hills in high range, stopping and highway ..........................

Likewise ....

... spent all this week dragging the trailer round in this crap hot weather,

... and never went over 98* on the scan gauge.

Was good to see the scan gauge still works ... its normally stuck on about 95* at this time of year ..

Last edited by carvesdodo; 28-02-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply