2.7 drivers - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-08-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey so random question for some other 2.7L CRD owners. Has anyone else had problems with their dump pipe and the clip holding it on? I've replaced mine before (there is a thread on here somewhere about when I did it) but just noticed the new one has broken again!! Has anyone replaced this with something stronger / more reliable?
Old 17-08-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,319 Posts

Haven't heard of anybody having problems with it, other than if they have to drop the the pipe

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-08-2013
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

There is nothing else unless you machine/weld/modify the turbo outlet. Question is of course why. As Drover stated I have never heard of it being problematic in the Jeep or thousands of Mercs. Is the bushed mount down near the gearbox still in good nick, there must be some reason yours is getting loaded up and breaking. I had my old one on and off over half a dozen times when I was fabricating my 3" exhaust and it was still holding strong and didn't break. I did put a new one on after it was all finished but only for piece of mind.

Is the tapered flange of the exhaust sitting properly on the turbo outlet and how are you fitting the new clamp. There's no chance you are stretching it the wrong direction or something.
Old 18-08-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The exhaust is still sitting all right on the hangers, I think the reason the first one gave up was that the hanger in front of the muffler kept coming off and weighting the clip. When I put a new clip on it I fixed up the hangers and it hasnt come off since. I don't think we installed it wrong either, We could only get it on in one way!

I am leaning towards getting the outlet modified by some else and having a bolt on flange installed just because I am a month and a bit away from a 2 week Cape trip and i don't want it to come off when we are days from anywhere!
Old 19-08-2013
No Winching

They will have to weld a new section on to the back of the turbo to really change it to anything and that could end up problematic in its own right. Will need to be done with pre and post heat trestment to work properly. A "V" band clamp is a good connection on tge bavk of turbos and is gasketless but there is still not enough material on the standard outlet to just mschine one in.

Are you sure the bush in the front mount forward of the flex joint is in good nick and not flogged out. I can't see any other reason to stress that clamp that much to snap it given it is a spring loaded clamp.

You left the holder/spreader in place to help fitting the new one. The ML270 runs that clamp in 2 spots without drama.

When they replaced your muffler they didn't misalign it to be stressing the connection.
Old 02-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so I think I have sorted the exhaust problem, took it to a place up here and the guy thought that main bracket looked like it had been bent / knocked, so he heated it and realigned it and added a second clamp and bracket to help take the weight off of the clip at the top, hopefully it lasts for the up coming cape trip!

Next problem however! I replaced the transmission fluid with the recommended penrite oil, and now the gear box makes a very loud whine above 80kph, is this because I didn't use the correct MB oil? Also I took out just over 2L and put in 4L, I didn't think it had lost that much, but we drained it completely and filled it based off the capacity (ie not a dip stick). Does any one have any ideas? Do I just have to give up and pay for the expensive MB oil? (oh and Jeep quoted me $450 to do a flush, so that's not happening!)
Old 02-09-2013
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_C View Post
Ok so I think I have sorted the exhaust problem, took it to a place up here and the guy thought that main bracket looked like it had been bent / knocked, so he heated it and realigned it and added a second clamp and bracket to help take the weight off of the clip at the top, hopefully it lasts for the up coming cape trip!

Next problem however! I replaced the transmission fluid with the recommended penrite oil, and now the gear box makes a very loud whine above 80kph, is this because I didn't use the correct MB oil? Also I took out just over 2L and put in 4L, I didn't think it had lost that much, but we drained it completely and filled it based off the capacity (ie not a dip stick). Does any one have any ideas? Do I just have to give up and pay for the expensive MB oil? (oh and Jeep quoted me $450 to do a flush, so that's not happening!)
Mine has been running on the fully synthetic Penrite for ages under the previous owner and most recently I used the Nulon with no whining issues. I am more than likely though going to change to the Fuchs oil next though. Drover has been running the Febi Bilstein oil from MB Spares for a while no issues so there are plenty of alternatives to the crazy factory prices.

However I'm confused as you say you drained it and refilled based on capacity but you say you removed 2L and replaced with 4L. Assuming it was correctly filled prior it would now appear it should be grossly overfull. 2L also doesn't seem like much to be drained out in the first place, should be more like 5. I think you need to dip stick it first to get an idea of where the level is sitting before you do anything else. There is a cold measurement in the 2.7 thread somewhere which should give a good indication but remember the correct procedure is a check at running temp.

Last edited by fester; 02-09-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply