Osram Xenarc Next Generation Laser D3S - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-04-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input it goes a long way to support decision making. Three other matters....

First, the desire to upgrade was brought about by a chance side-by-side comparison with a relatives older (~10 years) Subaru Liberty sedan, with OEM HID projectors, in an underground car park. The GC was inferior in every way -brightness, length of beam and light strength- in both high and low beam. The friendly dealer (under warranty) assured me the lights were functioning to spec.

Secondly. have watched a few youtube videos to see that accessing the housing to do the bulb swap is a challenge. Is this something best left to a professional?

Finally, have failed to find DIY auxiliary light harness for D3S lights, unlike H4 of which there are plenty. This implies it may also be a job for a professional. Any thoughts?
Old 17-04-2023
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Access is fiddly but doable. RHS unbolt and shift coolant tank to one side and you can reach the bulb. LHS similarly shift the air box out of the way for access. Bulbs only work when fitted in the socket one way round i.e. if the bulb doesn't work, pull out and twist 180o so the pins are reversed. You may end up with a grazed knuckle or two but I found this method much better than trying to cram your hands through the access holes provided in the fender liners.
Old 12-06-2023
I just registered

Not being confident that a D3S bulb upgrade to Osram Nightbreakers would make a significant difference for a hefty money outlay, I went the Amazon route and bought a set of Nilight bulbs for about 1/3 of the Osram price. Happily report that we are pleased with the outcome; the whiter light enhances visibility, and the light beam in both low and high beams appears more consistent.
For us a good value-for-money outcome.
Old 14-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger and Belinda View Post
Not being confident that a D3S bulb upgrade to Osram Nightbreakers would make a significant difference for a hefty money outlay, I went the Amazon route and bought a set of Nilight bulbs for about 1/3 of the Osram price. Happily report that we are pleased with the outcome; the whiter light enhances visibility, and the light beam in both low and high beams appears more consistent.
For us a good value-for-money outcome.
That sounds good and value for money plus you didn't have to go LED for this too making it more safer plus compatible. I am looking at something that is slightly brighter than the standard OEM HIDs on the car. Are you able to link us to the one you did get or closest one available so I can see the model and colour? Sorry just a bit new to the Jeep stuff thank you
Old 15-06-2023
I just registered

In Amazon there are a few upgrade offers. I went with Nilight due to the postitive reviews and informative website. To order through Amazon search for Nilight D3S HID Bulbs, 6000K Diamond White Xenon Replacement D3S HID Headlight. Nilight have two D3S bulbs types, I went with the ones in the blue box. As they are shipped from US there was a estimated shipping time of 3 weeks but, to my delight, they arrived 11 days later.

If you install yourself, there are a few how-to YouTube videos, some good others not-so-good. Recommend
Old 15-06-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
In Amazon there are a few upgrade offers. I went with Nilight due to the postitive reviews and informative website. To order through Amazon search for Nilight D3S HID Bulbs, 6000K Diamond White Xenon Replacement D3S HID Headlight. Nilight have two D3S bulbs types, I went with the ones in the blue box. As they are shipped from US there was a estimated shipping time of 3 weeks but, to my delight, they arrived 11 days later.

If you install yourself, there are a few how-to YouTube videos, some good others not-so-good. Recommend How to change HID lightbulbs in Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - YouTube.
I to went after market, put a set of Exite 6000k d3s in my gc.
Definitely brighter light but i only got about 3 years out of the last set with both failing within hours of each other.
The factory Osram’s lasted for 8 years so i guess what you pay for really.
Old 15-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:

If you install yourself, there are a few how-to YouTube videos, some good others not-so-good. Recommend How to change HID lightbulbs in Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - YouTube.
Thanks for the info on the globes and definitely worth watching a video on how to install as I believe there are few different ways to install on these Jeeps