WKs breaking down,diesels! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,319 Posts

It seems all my vehicles have had horror stories about them over the years, diffs, gear boxes, TC's you name it, it also seemed to be cried that they were all meticulously serviced and books all stamped, my books had no stamps just a scribbled date and note, never encountered any of the problems and that includes my 3 Grands and a Colorado which had just as many horror stories as these things with engines, gear boxes etc.......... not saying I'm a great mechanic, which I am far from but I am always looking and checking things on my whole rig.........

How many times have you encountered someone with the bonnet up, who will state he had it all checked last service, 2 mths and 5K km ago, hasn't looked at it since and that applies to tyres, brakes and engine.......... The number of vans I have fixed because the last service was many months ago and they never check anything themselves.. it does begga belief...............

If you are going to travel especially towing and off the main hwys then some knowledge of basic servicing is needed.................

Of course the shit does hit the fan sometimes which calls for the tilt tray, Alternator fire on my Colorado and the recent tranny plug fiasco on the Jeeperific, somethings can't be avoided .............. rock flicks up and gets between the belt and pulley now that causes mayhem..... a simple thing like the Jeeps battery dying will leave you stranded high and dry... I don't worry any more with this Jeep than with any other vehicle...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-06-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Like you Drover Im always under the bonnet 'checking things'...looking under the car when its parked for signs of fluid leaks....shakin wheels to check wheel bearings or general 'looseness'...listening to the whole thing when its starting, idling, driving off, slowing down, braking, cornering or open road running...same off road...listening for rattles n bumps...its just a matter of operation n keeping an eye, ear, nose on things...I understand that many think the gauges are fool proof but they aint....I'll take a $1 for very sender, sensor, gauge Ive replaced in the years and retire now thank you !....Im not saying Ive got it all covered and know whats goin on...I'm smart enough to know I know nothing and my only hope of not ending up on a tilt tray is being observant and asking questions....getting vehicles serviced by anybody else only creates work for me as I ALWAYS check their work....its not their car, its mine...its not them on the side of the road, its me....some jobs are to big or involved for the tools or skills I have and I just have to trust a 'pro' but I reaearch which 'pro' has a good rep and still check their work after I have it back...a loose connection/clamp/nut/seal, a washer missing or not tge correct size, a wire or harness not in its correct harness location will lead me to virtually redo the whole thing thinking...'What else did they miss ?'....Some just own them....others just drive them....for me....its a passion...I smile each time I see one on a tilt tray...can only hope the smile isnt on someone elses dial one day

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 10-06-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Who knows really, poor servicing more than likely doesn't help either...... I'll have to have a revisit of the Faceache site, got turned off by all the dumb comments.

You have also posted the same thread 3 times, must be slow internet down there in toe freezing country............
-2 this morning.Internet was slow as I thought it hadnt posted.Thought I could delete ,am I going mad !
Old 10-06-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

firstly my 3.6 is humming

but ive got to say many years ago i knew a guy that moved from south america to arsetralia, he had been used to having servants (oh by the way my spelling of australia reflects my feelings about this place)

anyway the guy had a last of the HZ statesmens and was complaining that it wouldn't go and the temp gauge was reading high, so a friend asked him to pop the bonnet (hood) and hahaha he didn't know how to

yep true story

gees the only mechanic i trust is me ( and now thankfully ive found 7 slot)

at 70 im way to old to be crawling around these things, except for my XJ that is

yeah i might have had a few Johnny walkers so i might be rambling, please ignore

macca
Old 10-06-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 284 Times in 209 Posts

Modern hi output CRD Engines across many makes are suffering unexpected premature failures not unilateral but statistically higher failure rates than expected.
A knowledgeable engine builder claims it is piston cracking and other piston overheating problems due to high speed engine operation at elevated combustion temps. Such as towing heavy loads for hours on end.

He draws attention to a now withdrawn Toyota TSB that admitted this problem was likely behind relatively low km around 120K km’s failures of 4 cylinder CRD’s fitted to prado’s and hilux’s that were used as tow rigs. The TSB was likely withdrawn because it was problematic for the brand’s marketing of their vehicles as ideal tow rigs.

I suspect most other makes are aware of the problem but don’t want to admit it. It affects most of the brands similarly. Often the injectors are blamed but in this particular engine builders testing he has often found the injectors test within spec when removed from engines post piston failure.

Last edited by Classic Boy; 10-06-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Classic boy...using those findings...would you suggest that towing at around 2000rpm...where the turbo is actively providing the 'boost' to produce max (kinda) torque, but the engine revs arent excessively high....would provide a 'safer' environment for longevity ???.....just following that train of theory

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 10-06-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

The real problem with modern CRDs is that they eat where they shit. And the emission requirements have now reached a level of complexity that the engineering solutions are unreliable and are worse than the problems they are supposed to solve. Diesel engines have hit a brick wall IMO.