3 row aluminum radiator solution ? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default 3 row aluminum radiator solution ?

hi

i have an xJ with snorkel , 31" bf , 3x 10" electric fans ,
tridon hight flow thermostat , no leak , and castrol coolant radicool and concentrate for more glychol

and all time when im in off road , rock , sand , mud , 4wD , my engine is hot

not on the red because i turn off before and i wait a moment for restart

my question is , a new aluminum radiator 3 row it is the solution ??

i think i have a trans oil cooler on the front , and the oem radiator is not in bad condition

3 days ago a clean my circuit coolant and see if i have leak or other

thank you for help

sorry for my english , i from caraibbean and my english have creol inside

thank you
Old 26-04-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-caraibbean View Post
hi

i have an xJ with snorkel , 31" bf , 3x 10" electric fans ,
tridon hight flow thermostat , no leak , and castrol coolant radicool and concentrate for more glychol

and all time when im in off road , rock , sand , mud , 4wD , my engine is hot

not on the red because i turn off before and i wait a moment for restart

my question is , a new aluminum radiator 3 row it is the solution ??

i think i have a trans oil cooler on the front , and the oem radiator is not in bad condition

3 days ago a clean my circuit coolant and see if i have leak or other

thank you for help

sorry for my english , i from caraibbean and my english have creol inside

thank you
Well you have a good start doing the electric fans the "right" way and using 3 x 10", a new high flow 3 core radiator certainly will help and so will dropping the glycol content down to 20-30% mix. The only reason to up the glycol content to say 50% is reduce how often you have to change the coolant (or if you are in super cold weather) but this means you also reduce the cooling capability of your coolant by a huge margin (nearly 40% for 50-50 glycol), considering how cheap 2 x 5ltr bottles of ready made coolant is at 30% it is hardly worth dropping the quality of the cooling in order to get a few extra years out of the coolant. In a XJ working hard under load if you reduce the coolant from 50% mix down to 25% mix it can net you up to around 15 degrees lower temps at the engine block and even more at the bore (assuming your block is not full of fuzzy friends).

Try dropping out about 25 -50% of the coolant in the system and replace it with good deionized water (or replace all of it with 30% mix). You can happily (and safely) go a low as 10% glycol if you are not in a cold climate (where it freezes), just remember at 10% glycol you will need to top off/replace the glycol once a year.

Most people are changing engine oil that cost more than the coolant multiple times a year yet for some reason there seems to be a common philosophy of trying to make coolant last for 3-5 years and being happy to drop the ability for the coolant to do it's job in order to achieve this. Clearly a myth perpetuated by the companies making the coolant and numpty mechanics (sorry gents) just following what they were told to do as an apprentice rather than understanding what they are doing . FYI if you mechanic insists on 50% mix in Australia then it is time to find a "good" mechanic
Old 26-04-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi , im in Kalgoorlie WA

thank you for your answer ,
i have maybe 7liters of castrol radicool ( 33% ghlycol ), and just 1liter of contrate radicool at 95% glychol , ( how much final glychol ?? lol )

and i have castrol magnatec 10W40
and castrol dex 3 atf

i hope with an aluminum radiator 3 row i found a solution

it's very bad when you are on the track with friend and the jeep go anywhere but all time is hot and the friend give me joke lol

Last edited by chris-caraibbean; 26-04-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 26-04-2016
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Put all your 33% rad cool in and half the bottle of the concentrate. Fill the rest up with de-mineralized water.
Go to forum index at the top of the page. Scroll down to XJ/MJ drivers. Open threads about radiators and have a read. We have also discussed radiators recently on the "What have you done to your XJ today" thread.
Old 26-04-2016
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

3 row radiators work! While you have the rad out have a look at your water pump. Apparently the fins wear out and they don't pump efficiently. If your a/c is not working, by all means rip out the condenser. You have a tiny oil cooler in behind the grill that is next to useless, you need to get a larger after market one and bypass the radiator.
Best advice is to read the sticky on overheating.

Last edited by Billnick; 26-04-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 26-04-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi
the water pump is new is since last november
i have a small oil engine leak from the oil pump on the support of the oil filter , the big o'ring seal , and when im overheating the oil pressure coming down on the dash
when the a/c is on , on the town or hightway im a litle bit hot , i think it's correct

all time i have 2 fan on , and the third turn on with the a/c and i have a switch on my dash for turn on the third fan on off roading

Last edited by chris-caraibbean; 27-04-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 28-04-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hello

today , i driving fast , 2300rpm , 120kph or more , and the temp level going up to 100° , 115° , and exterior temp 17°
i have a big aftermarket oil transmission cooler on the front

maybe , next week i try with an aluminum 3 row radiator , it's very crazy why it's overheat all time in 4WD or when you push the accélérator for more power
Post New Thread  Reply