Liftgate Issues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts
Default Liftgate Issues

Sporadically our 14KL liftgate stops operating. Usually it resets itself, sometimes pulling the fuse seems to help reset (not always).
Now I just know its going to be a PITA just when we need to use it urgently and don't have time to root about with it.
So was wondering if anyone has had this issue and has found a more permanent fix?
I know there was a recall regarding corrosion in the mechanism so I j azve half a mind to pull it out and check it but open to ideas/suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Mine can be a bit dicky on occasion if it’s been sitting in heavy rain for a while - the recall has apparently been done, and dealers have been useless because they expect me to demonstrate it to them before they’ll believe there’s a problem - not easy to do when it’s intermittent.

When it’s playing up, like many electronic things, I find turning the car off and turning it back on again tends to straighten it out.
Old 07-05-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Ours does it every few weeks. We have to manually close it (how old school) and it will usually reset and work fine.
We did carry a tie down with us in case it didn't reset, but it always worked in the end.

2015 KL Limited with all the goodies.
ex 06 KJ CRD Renegade, Lifted and GDE Tuned
Old 08-05-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Our experience has been similar to lujabe and MadKaw - ie yeah its done it occasionally and come good after a few goes.

Last time was a bit hair raising tho because it was 5am when we were trying to leave home to drop me at the airport for work (I do FIFO). Was about to call a taxi when it finally came good.

The plastic "tub" under the rear floor actually comes out really easily - Ive had it out a few times for cleaning - and the control unit is right there easily accessible - so I'm gonna pinch some stuff from work we use to waterproof and improve connection properties in electrical couplers and connectors in planes and do all the connections in the wee beastie that I can get to.
Old 20-05-2019
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mine has done it since new, every few weeks and not repeatable on demand. Have managed to video it and showed dealer but still wouldn't do anything as of course it worked fine when they pressed the button...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 03-08-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I think a lot of Jeep stealerships are like most doctors: leave you wishing you could just go to a vet...
Old 24-10-2019
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Well my update.
FIRSTLY, whenever I open the tailgate I now give the cargo floor liner a little push forward as I found it can creep back and cause some of the issue.
Second when it rarely occurs now I pull fuse (#50?) under the hood and refit after 10secs. This generally resets it and it starts to work....but still not always.

Other gripe I have with the powered tailgate is I now have a dent from where it opened up in a Westfield carpark (ref pic under Jeep logo). Seriously I'd much rather a manual tailgate with a seperate opening glass lift.
Stupid Jeep engineers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply