after 2008 3.8 jk wrangler tune.? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default after 2008 3.8 jk wrangler tune.?

any body know who does a decent tune for a 2008 3.8 wrangler , not interested in anything in australia , (WAAAAY TO EXPENSIVE), only over seas , have a bully dog so i can download a tune from that straight it the ecu.
tried flyin ryan performance in the states , he`s useless and arrogant, sold me a tune that didnt work and activated the immobilizer. when i download the stock tune everything was fine..
looking for recomendations..
Old 08-02-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

AFAIK the RHD models have a different ECU or there is enough difference in its software that you can't use tunes made for LHD ECUs.

I suggest looking for shops that do supercharger installations on the 3.8 and then find out if any of them do custom tunes.

My own research many years ago showed that the 3.8 doesn't have much performance "locked away" that off-the-shelf tunes can unlock, which probably means you will need a custom tune after creating performance headroom or removing restrictions through things like an exhaust with high-performance cats and a good intake (they will also make the 3.8 sound awesome). That is the start of a very slippery cost slope for very little performance gains on the 3.8 though...
Old 08-02-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I'm with St_za, the 3.8 really isn't a performance motor and won't respond a great deal to trying to get any more out of it. Maybe you could look at what's available in the EU as they are the same as ours.

I found a less restrictive exhaust does make a difference and they do sound pretty good. An idrive also helps a little getting it off the mark but they are what they are unfortunately.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 08-02-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

1. Electronic Throttle Controller, like a Hikeit X9
2. Consider re-gearing
3. Exhaust probably not much power gain, but would sound great
3. Trade in for a 3.6
Old 08-02-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Found this old thread. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com.au/for...d.php?t=108848
Old 09-02-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

The thing is, the JK 3.8 is a bit of a slug up hills and higher gears. Weight, wind, tyres etc all effect speed.What did u expect? If u want pep u have to use the gears. Drive it for what it was made for and according to its limits.... or sell it and buy a V8 or a diesel Amarok. I have had my 3.8JKU for 13 yrs now, been everywhere in it, and it has never let me down. 30million vehicles in the USA have been powered by its "can't kill" engine. Leave it alone and love it as it is! I bet if you had a V8 u would still complain about performance!

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 09-02-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2021
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I don't know of any tune that will really do anything much for the 3.8.

I've tried the generic ones that came with the Diablo Predator I bought years ago & could never really tell much difference. Nothing that showed in watching the fuel consumption or gave enough difference to actually feel.

What made changes that were significant enough to notice in any way, were:

1. The AEV snorkel. It dropped the intake temps significantly* as read on the Aeroforce gauges, and reduced the pinging I was getting uphill in summer. And,

2. RIPP Long Tube Headers, (full exhaust system). My cats were dying & throwing errors. After replacing the O2 sensors to no avail, I looked at the price of the OEM Y pipe with the cats from the stealership, & replacing the whole thing with the RIPP was not much more. Also came with a Diablosport i2 tuner with some generic tunes for the exhaust. I used the economy or 94 RON one from memory, but couldn't tell any difference there either.

I can't say it has more from the feel, but what I did notice was that it can maintain speed in 6th on the inclines on the M4 west of Sydney without having to change down now.

As a side note, after I got my '08 in 2010, I tested it on unleaded, E10, 95, & 98. Ran each one over the same conditions for a couple of months each & recorded all mileage & fuel consumption. 98 is marginally better for range, but nowhere near enough to justify the cost, unless the range is of absolute importance. E10 with 94RON is no better or worse than the others, so I run it on that all the time now for the best range/$.

*Ambient to inlet difference dropped from 15-30+C down to 5-15C. (Driving-idling at lights or stop start traffic.)

Last edited by Banshee; 11-02-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply