Auto Woes :( - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Auto Woes :(

So I'm starting to see deterioration in my auto (2001 4.7 Limited)

When I bought it back in June, the auto felt pretty good but occasionally I would get the slow speed clunk from first to second.

Anyway the last couple of weeks this clunk has gotten worse at times, and then last night I started getting slippage on some gear changes. Not all the time just randomly.

I'm planning a full fluid flush and filter change in the next couple of weeks (something I've been putting off because just too busy), so hopefully this helps. From what I've read there is no real maintenance options for this auto (545RFE). ie bands adjustment. Is this true?

Anything else I should look at?
Old 04-12-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

No bands in the 545rfe clutch packs and steels, with a plenetary centre.

Any codes showing up? The tranny will detect slippage and usually give you an indication to where it may be happening, you can also look at cvi data if you have a half decent scan tool as well, which should tell you which of your clutch packs are slipping.

It could just be burnt oil or very worn oil and has lost its properties to work correctly...

No Problem
˙˙˙ɯǝlqoɹd
Old 05-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggers View Post
Any codes showing up?
Yeah I've been meaning to check for codes, none for transmission, only O2 sensor;

P0051
02 Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
Shorted condition detected in the oxygen sensor heater element control feedback sense circuit.

P0152 (M)
O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
Oxygen sensor input voltage sustained above normal operating range.

P0161 (M)
O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. O2 sensor voltage greater than 3 volts for 60 to 240 seconds.

Just put in an order from Rockauto too
Old 06-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Was that just the key dance?

Might be prudent to get the codes read, as I had some codes that only showed on a decent scan tool, I also have a Bluetooth jobbie from actron, which only read a couple.

No Problem
˙˙˙ɯǝlqoɹd
Old 06-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah key only. Just ordered a full set of Denso O2 sensors from rockauto, bit over $US100 delivered. Had a look at them today, the two upstream don't look real old, but the two downstream could be original. Figure for that price I'll just replace all 4 so I know they're good.

Should have my auto filters next week from Amazon so will do the fluid change and then if still playing up will get it checked out. I read while researching this also that there's an ECU update that fixes the slow speed 1st to 2nd clunk, so thinking of getting this checked.

Anywhere in Sydney other than dealers that can check the firmware version on the ECU and update it?
Old 06-12-2015
CrawlerStar

If it's Has 5 gears it's been updated, if only 4 then it hasn't. The update improved shifting and added another gear.

It's a free update, the dealer should do it free of charge I believe.

No Problem
˙˙˙ɯǝlqoɹd
Old 07-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Received my filters from Amazon today so hopefully will have time this weekend to change out the fluid.

Is there a way to tell if the 5 gear update has been installed (other than driving and counting the gear changes)?