Dealing with FCA - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Expert Tips
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-04-2018
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Dealing with FCA

Hi All. Am looking for some advice on dealing with FCA please ??

Background - after much to and fro with our main dealer in Penrith seems like we have 3 buckled wheels after initially being told tyres then drive shaft were causing vibration in our WK2. 20" alloys - which is probably the issue.
My guess is that it happened during our trip to Fraser.
Dealer would seem to be passing the buck as wheels are not covered under warranty so have suggested I spk directly to FCA as it will have more traction coming from myself.
Despite 2 written submissions thru their complaints portal - which were acknowledged, I've had no response.
My contention with the wheels is that if they are not up to Fraser Island and lower pressures - which the dealer was fully aware of, then they are not fit for purpose.
You can buckle 1 hitting a pothole, not 3.

Before i give them a call, for which i hold little hope... Anyone had any similar experience and how was it resolved if at all...??

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 23-04-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,545 Times in 4,339 Posts

What does it say in the owners manual about lowering tyre pressures?

Problem with low profile tyres is there is not much sidewall to take the bumps.
If you can find written info from FCA that recommends lowering pressures then you have a chance. My guess is that they will say you should have raised the pressure back up as soon as you were off the sand.
Old 23-04-2018
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
What does it say in the owners manual about lowering tyre pressures?

Problem with low profile tyres is there is not much sidewall to take the bumps.
If you can find written info from FCA that recommends lowering pressures then you have a chance. My guess is that they will say you should have raised the pressure back up as soon as you were off the sand.
Will check that, thanks.
We raised the pressures back up as soon a were back on the tarmac at Inskip.
And the low profile wheels/tyres is just my point. Why supply a really capable vehicle with wheels that are not up to the job??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 23-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjohnporter1 View Post

And the low profile wheels/tyres is just my point. Why supply a really capable vehicle with wheels that are not up to the job??
Because the gangstar look sells more cars??
And I guess most GC's are sold to urban warriors and the closest they go to off-roading is the occasional drive over a nature strip.
Old 23-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Our experience dealing with FCA was extremely difficult. Weekly phone calls on our end were never returned. We did what they wanted us to do, gave up. They don't give a rats arse once car has been delivered.
Old 23-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Have you read this and followed the advice?

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=147771

This guy knows how to get results from FCA>
Old 24-04-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 798 Times in 449 Posts

I suggest from experience dealing with FCA (and winning) to get all your info and facts straight and in writing to begin with. No good stating buckled wheels probably the issue.!!Go to a tire shop and get suspect rims put on the wheel balancer,any rim run out easily picked up,as are problems with the tires.
Eg are these wheels bent at the hubs or outer rim.Easy to determine where they are bent if bent at all .
If bent I would also take all the rims into a engine rebuilding business and get them to do a hardness test.Very simple test ,they do it on cylinder heads.Also you could get a porosity test however that is expensive.
Aluminium rims can take a fair amount of punishment,it is hard to see them bending just driving in sand ,(unless their quality was RS) outer rim can be damaged hitting rocks which I think you would have felt.I suppose you have checked for wet sand etc on the inside of the rims causing vibration ,loss of wheel weights etc

Last edited by bjm; 24-04-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply