Goodbye WH Hello WK2 Trailhawk - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

great colour but that snorkel ................

it ruins those sexy sexy lines

IMO i must point out

is your second battery permanently mounted in the car somewhere or removeable ?

Last edited by timsarg; 28-04-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 28-04-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
great colour but that snorkel ................

it ruins those sexy sexy lines

IMO i must point out

is your second battery permanently mounted in the car somewhere or removeable ?
Agree. That murchinson snorkel would have been better. Still love it though.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 28-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
My 2017 WK2 CRD Trailhawk:

ARB Bull Bar + Warn Winch
UNeek Rock Sliders
Airflow Snorkel
LED Spot Lights
LRA Long Range Tank
Front Runner Roof Rack
GME 80 Chan CB
Second Battery
Second set of 5 x Alloy Rims with LT Tyres & Rear Wheel Carrier
4 x MaxTrax

Next is to the Simpson for my 7th time across..Do it with every new Jeep.

Hope you enjoy this post...22 year of Jeeps in my garage

See it all: My Trailhawk Modifications
Looks good as is, but swap snorkel for Murch, front bar for the Uneek single hoop and the sliders for Mopar or Chief and it'd be near perfect
Old 29-04-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
My 2017 WK2 CRD Trailhawk:

ARB Bull Bar + Warn Winch
UNeek Rock Sliders
Airflow Snorkel
LED Spot Lights
LRA Long Range Tank
Front Runner Roof Rack
GME 80 Chan CB
Second Battery
Second set of 5 x Alloy Rims with LT Tyres & Rear Wheel Carrier
4 x MaxTrax

Next is to the Simpson for my 7th time across..Do it with every new Jeep.

Hope you enjoy this post...22 year of Jeeps in my garage

See it all: My Trailhawk Modifications
You have exactly the same model as mine, including colour. I am also curious about your second battery setup and I like that snorkel as well...
Did you have the ARB bar fitted this year because it’s my understanding that the WK2 bar needed slight modifications for the 2017 on model. It was made available in February this year I think.
Old 01-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy99 View Post
You have exactly the same model as mine, including colour. I am also curious about your second battery setup and I like that snorkel as well...
Did you have the ARB bar fitted this year because it’s my understanding that the WK2 bar needed slight modifications for the 2017 on model. It was made available in February this year I think.
Hello Hoppy99... Always thought my Commander (had it for 7 tears) was a great Jeep and only just sold the XJ after 21 years but the Trailhawk!!!...Love it.

The Snorkel is an Airflow snorkel same as I had on my previous WK2 Laredo.. Absolute prick to fit but worth it (the instructions need re-ordering in the way it is installed and the template is missing the 6th hole and the square plugs that fit into the windscreen pillar are a @$##%%& to square up and the plugs a couple of mm too long to sit flush so need to be pared..There is about 4 mm to move a square file up and down so 2 holes take about 30 minutes to do.

I often do Cape York fishing and the OTT on the way so a snorkel is a good insurance for a diesel when there can be up to 40 creek crossing; some not so shallow..One thing I know is that water and diesel don't mix when gulped..I know of several that have had a drink and written off....Maybe not so pretty but pretty ain't good insurance...

The Airflow snorkel has a Safari style rectangular air ram...I have the huge Airflow air ram that comes with the kit in my shed...Airflow will supply similar to mine for $89 I think but mine was $19 on eBay... Decided to give it a go and fuel economy is about that without a snorkel...Maybe 0.2km/L less (now why Jeep displays it like this rather than L/100km I wonder..Maybe a Jeep thing) less around town when air ram effect is less but on the highway good considering the extra weight the Trailhawk is carrying - bullbar, winch & LRA tank (all adds up). Airflow state that with the big snorkel head the effect is 3+ and with the smaller rectangular about 1.8..I'm happy with 1:1 since stress level is considerably lower when creek crossing with unforeseen potholes, rocks, and ruts...Along the road on causeways with water, I endeavour to slow but sometimes I can't and I've had water come up over the windscreen before I could slow.

Well...that's my take on fitting a snorkel and I wouldn't have a diesel without...Airflow or Murchison - take your pick...I like the Airflow product and have had them on almost all my Jeeps over 22 years

The ARB bar was ordered end of last year but fitted 10th Jan this year...Hold up was the parking sensors...The holes and mounting is different I've been told so ARB had to do some mods.. Apart from that the shape is the same..Well appears to be when I compared it with my mate's 2013 WK2 Laredo.

The second battery...Sits in the cargo bay tied down to the child restraints on the back of the rear seats... Drilled a 25mm hole (with a hole saw) in the popup flap that lowers when the seat is down..Webbing strap fits through the child restraint tie-down loop, through the 25mm hole then around the battery box...Easy to undo if the full cargo area is needed with the rear seat lowered..The battery box has Redarc BCDC charger mounted on it...The WK2 has a variable output alternator.. It works a bit like a multistage battery charger on the main battery so when it's charged the second battery is unlikely to be fully charged and of course here is the voltage drop along the wiring to the second battery which has to be taken into account... The second battery is an AGM similar to the main battery.

I might add this bit though..The QuadraLift compressor has had a few issues in some 2017 models - blowing fuses..It has happened to mine and the compress is to be replaced in a few days... Good idea to locate the fuse and carry some spares in case you're out in the sticks and the fuse blows and the QuadraLift is at the exit level.. Bit hard to drive to the nearest dealer with the tyre rubbing the wheel arch lining on sharp turns and the ride is rough, to say the least - happened to me - lowered the tyre pressures and a slow drive to the nearest Jeep dealer not knowing what was wrong..Luckily the drive wasn't that far so now an assortment of fuses goes with me. Of course putting a higher amperage fuse in is a definite NO NO.

As always if anyone can add to this or think I'm off the mark, then please have your say.

Most of what I've said can be found on my website either on the Technical Information page or the Traihawk Modifications page

Last edited by Wanderer; 01-05-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
Looks good as is, but swap snorkel for Murch, front bar for the Uneek single hoop and the sliders for Mopar or Chief and it'd be near perfect
Hello SnakeDoctor.. Ha Ha.. Each to his own..I'm happy.. Perfect is in the eye of the owner.. Had a UNeek bar on my previous WK2 Laredo (had to do several mods to it) but had an Airflow snorkel.. I know Stu fairly well but can't comment one way or the other on his snorkel.. Some like it but I'm not over the top about it...Mopar sliders (pre 2017) are no longer available from Jeep..only newer Mopar rock rails (without slider side tubes).. I tried when I bought the Traihawk but the answer was no..I will add that the older Mopar sliders (I had them on my previous Laredo) where definitely stronger and made to fit the GC perfectly...Can't say the same about the UNeek sliders though (beggars can't be choosers)..Don't know the Chief product so will look at theirs for interest sake.
Old 01-05-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Hello Hoppy99... Always thought my Commander (had it for 7 tears) was a great Jeep and only just sold the XJ after 21 years but the Trailhawk!!!...Love it.

The Snorkel is an Airflow snorkel same as I had on my previous WK2 Laredo.. Absolute prick to fit but worth it (the instructions need re-ordering in the way it is installed and the template is missing the 6th hole and the square plugs that fit into the windscreen pillar are a @$##%%& to square up and the plugs a couple of mm too long to sit flush so need to be pared..There is about 4 mm to move a square file up and down so 2 holes take about 30minutes to do.

I often do Cape York fishing and the OTT on the way so a snorkel is a good insurance for a diesel when there can be up to 40 creek crossing some; not so shallow..One thing I know is that water and diesel don't mix when gulped..I know of several that have had a drink and written off....Maybe not so pretty but pretty ain't good insurance...

The Airflow snorkel has a Safari style rectangular air ram...I have the huge Airflow air ram that comes with the kit in my shed...Airflow will supply similar to mine for $89 I think but mine was $19 on eBay... Decided to give it a go and fuel economy is about that without a snorkel...Maye 0.2km/L (now why Jeep displays it like this rather than L/100km I wonder..Maybe a Jeep thing) less around town when air ram effect is less but on the highway good considering the extra weight the Trailhawk is carrying - bullbar. winch & LRA tank (all adds up). Airflow state that with the big snorkel head the effect is 3+ and with the smaller rectangular about 1.8..I'm happy with 1:1 since stress level is considerably lower when creek crossing with unforeseen potholes, rocks, and ruts...Along the road on causeways with water, I endeavour to slow but sometimes I can't and I've had water come up over the windscreen before I could slow.

Well that's my take on fitting a snorkel and I would'nt have a diesel without...Airflow or Murchison - take your pick...I like the Airflow product and have had them on almost all my Jeeps over 22 years

The ARB bar was ordered end of last year but fitted 10th Jan this year...Hold up was the parking sensors...The holes and mounting is different I've been told so ARB had to do some mods..apart from that the shape is the same..Well appears to be when I compared it with my mate's 2013 WK2 Laredo.

The second battery...Sits in the cargo bay tied down to the child restraints on the back of the rear seats... Drilled a 25mm hole (with a hole saw) in the popup flap that lowers when the seat is down..Webbing strap fits through the child restraint tie-down loop, through the 25mm hole then around the battery box...Easy to undo if the full cargo area is needed with the rear seat is lowered..The battery box has Redarc BCDC charger mounted on it...The WK2 has a variable output alternator.. It works a bit like a multistage battery charger on the main battery so when it's charged the second battery is unlikely to be fully charged and of course here is the voltage drop along the wiring to the second battery which has to be taken into account... The second battery is an AGM similar to the main battery.

I might add this bit though..The QuadraLift compressor has had a few issues in some 2017 models - blowing fuses..It has happened to mine and the compress is to be replaced in a few days... Good idea to locate the fuse and carry some spares in case you're out in the sticks and the fuse blows and the QuadraLift is at the exit level.. Bit hard to drive to the nearest dealer with the tyre rubbing the wheel arch lining on sharp turns and the ride is rough, to say the least - happened to me - lowered the tyre pressures and a slow drive to the nearest Jeep dealer not knowing what was wrong..Luckily the drive was'nt that far so now an assortment of fuses goes with me. Of course putting a higher amperage fuse in is definite NO NO.

As always if anyone can add to this or think I'm off the mark, then please have your say.

Most of what I've said can be found on my website either on the Technical Information page or the Traihawk Modifications page
Wow, awesome reply!
I will definitely grab some spare fuses, thanks for that tip. As for the ARB bar, yours might have been the prototype for the updated model. The guys at ARB in Sydney told me that mods were needs to the current bar that including fitting and sensors. I was told the updated bar would be available in February and received an email stating as such.

Again that’s for the detailed reply, most helpful.

Last edited by Hoppy99; 01-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply