Guy from Sweden with smokey Cherokee XJ VM 1998 - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

[QUOTE=Irie;1632944]Thanx for replying. Yes. I think this is a great forum. Been here many times before I signed up.

Before I continue. How can I get a hold of a sevice manual for my JEEP? I have searched for many hours. Does anyone here got one for sale or to download.

QUOTE]

try here, I free downloaded MANY Jeep manuals

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html

also the NAXJA site maybe?

to post pic, try Imgur,,,free & very easy to use
Old 01-05-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Haha, ok. Ill try greatlakesxj.com and will do better on pics. Sorry about that
Old 01-05-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

I doubt the great lakes site can help as the diesel XJ was never sold in the USA.
You should be able to purchase on ebay a manual on CD that includes the diesel. Thats what I did years ago.
Old 01-05-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

AND when i bought IT 2-3 y ago the horn "beeped" everytime I locked the door. The "beep" is now gone. NOT a big issue (the door lock works) but I just thyought I inform u all about that.

[IMG][/IMG]

Damn. Maybe its the diesel filter

Ok for the horn beep when unlocking.. read up in the owners manual you can turn the horn beep on or off when using the remote central locking .. from memory think its like holding the lock button down for ten secs to activate or deactivate the twin beep of the horn

The diesel fuel filter has the writing upside down in your pic but you cannot install it upside down the filter screws on only one way and the water catchment bowl with the heating element on the bottom can only attach to one end too .. you should change the filter..you haven't done it in a while or ever before if you think it's upside down haha .. how many ks since last filter change??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts

Injectors are cheap to check and rebuild in your side of the world, as they are mostly standard Bosch indirect injection injectors, same construction as the Mercedes versions.

Do you have smoke under load? Do you hear any air rushing from a broken intercooler hose?
Old 02-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

Just looked at the video clip with the smoke . Is not too bad . I would change injectors or try the injector cleaner additive .
In time spray pattern of the injectors can deteriorate due to nozle clogging up or enlargement of the small nozle holes and fuel doesn't burn as good as when injectors are new .
Unburned fuel or over fueling will create the black smoke you are having .
If there is air leak in the turbo/intercooler & hoses area than there will be less power and by pushing the accelerator harder to get more power it creates an over fueling condition and will show as a black smoke .
Carefull with the MAF sensor... it has a ceramic tip in it (you can see it in your picture) and it breaks very eazy .(ask me how I know) and are sooooo....expensive.
Just spray it with a Maf cleaner and should be enough .
The tube that goes in the turbo is the drain oil return in the crankcase .
The beep problem can be fixed as advised by others .
Not to sure about the rattling noise . Don't think would be the crankshaft big end bearings . Could be still injectors related .
Hope this help you a litle bit and welcome to the forum .

Last edited by amlav; 02-05-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hello there and thanx for the replies.

So, this is what I did ...

1. I checked the turbo. There seems to be no oil leak and the fan does not wobble.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

2. It seems to be a small leak in the ERG from the inlet pipe side. The little valve seems to be leaking a little. Need a new ERG valve I guess (?) Im blocking it with a blank plate at the moment. I guess I will NOT pass emissions test this way (?)

3. Also found some small leaks from the inletpipe going in to the engine and No 1 glow plug

[IMG][/IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

4. Crank case fail (??) No high pressure from the oil filler cap when the Jeep is warm and idling

@ Jamunji - Fuel filter was changed like 8 month ago. OK, Ill look into the horn thingy when I learn german and read the german instruction manual....

@ Adrian - NO excessive smoke under load. Just when revving up to 4000. NO obvious air leaks from the intercooler. Just a vague "leak noice" from the left wheel area. I think it is fuelpump working just fine (?)

@ amlav - I have tried injector additive for some time now. Maybe its time to change the injectors. I fixed the "drain oil return" connection. It does not leak anymore. Ill fix the BEEP thingy later

Sorry about the long thread. Im not gonna give up anytime soon.

BTW I found a 1700 page service manual

Last edited by Irie; 07-05-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply