No More Diesel Jeep SUV After 2021 - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-06-2018
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Doubt if FCA will make a diesel model just for Australia..We tend to get the "Like it or lump it" being a small market..Like the US attitude has been to RHD.
Most of the dual-cabs are made in Thailand so they'll probably still have diesels. Probably push Jeep further down the sales chart....I've had Jeeps for 22 years both petrol and diesel and last 3 have been diesels and I'm sold on them which is a lot for me to say having been a petrol V8 nut since learning to drive..But the future looks certain to be PEV or maybe totally electric..Wonder how that will fit the long distance bush and outback touring here...Pull up and out with the solar charger I guess.
I'm sure the long term future is going to be hybrid if you need the range, but for now the diesels will hang around for a bit. They use the ED in the GC, RAM1500, Promaster and now the JL wrangler. So the motor will be around for a while and no doubt it will continue to be sold here past 2021.

The bigger problem is the new emissions laws reducing fleet average emissions to 105g/km by 2025 currently being discussed. That will kill diesels in SUVs and utes pretty quickly, and companies without small efficient cars to offset it will hurt the most. Isuzu are toast.

Last edited by Benn0; 20-06-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 20-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
As others have correctly observed, towing anything that weighs more than the car compromises handling (tail starts wagging the dog). With that in mind I wouldn't tow your earthmoving load too far, even if you are within your legal GVM & GCM ratings.
A fully loaded car at it's max GVM weight should ideally be towing a weight less than that. Your car (being relatively unloaded) will weigh less than its max GVM, therefore your 3.0t trailer pushes the boundary even further. Dragging it at lowish speeds and/or short distances may be alright, but any ability to handle the worst circumstances e.g. sudden manoeuvres, sharp downhill descent etc. may be compromised.
As with many other makes, the GC WK2 has a chassis, drive train and power plant which make them capable of pulling 3.5t, but it's still only a theoretical rating in terms of practicality and safety.
Yep some very good points raised here..I can remember when I was on the other side (yep I did own a LC) before seeing the Jeep light..Then it is was weight for weight if I can recall correctly ie no more than the Tare. If the tow vehicle weighs less than the trailer an accident can result.
I've had trailer sway downhill when the camper was pushing the vehicle and it's scary even if you know how to correct... Don't hit the brakes (natural instinct); drive straight (don't try to out steer the sway), manually apply the trailer brakes separately but not too much (don't lock up the brakes) and take your foot off the accelerator to ease speed off slowly until the trailer straightens (don't always rely on the trailer brakes to do the correcting)..Definitely no vehicle brakes (this will more than likely jackknife the rig)..Hard act but can save your rig and more so..your life. Maintaining control depends on the overall weight of the trailer in relation to the towing vehicle and a minimum of 10 to 12% of the trailer’s weight is over the tow hitch. Too much weight in a trailer at the back acts as a pendulum & hence trailer sway. Now might be the time to invest in a Weight Distribution Hitch (I hate them but they do serve a purpose to counteract trailer sway)

Yep this thread was to discuss what happens after the end of diesel Jeeps but vehicle loading & towing is extremely important (judging but the comments & posts). Highlighting this issue may help those who believe the sales pitch or don't really understand or appreciate the real effects of application or misuse of GCM & GVM and that ?? 3.5t towing spec.

Last edited by Wanderer; 20-06-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 20-06-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Spot on, Wanderer. Another scary aspect is over-reliance on ESC (on the 'van/trailer) and a smart brake controller. They are great devices and certainly reduce risk, but are not infallible in extreme conditions. A too-heavy trailer will work against them with the excessive weight amplifying the pendulum effect. And once a trailer wheel leaves the ground, well, 'nuf said...

Yeah, we did get off topic, but I agree it's always worth highlighting this stuff given that many JGC's (especially diesels) live in the towing environment.
Old 20-06-2018
I just registered

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

As much as I love my V6 Diesel its bloody great..Dare I say it though the Y62 Patrol is certainly very loved by the owners. Many report no worse economy over a 200 series V8 Diesel, cheaper servicing ,300kW etc etc....Id look at one for sure.
Old 20-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAREDAZ View Post
As much as I love my V6 Diesel its bloody great..Dare I say it though the Y62 Patrol is certainly very loved by the owners. Many report no worse economy over a 200 series V8 Diesel, cheaper servicing ,300kW etc etc....Id look at one for sure.
Permium petrol..Ok in the city or on the seaboard but out west..Hmmmm..Have to take plenty of octane booster...Do the centralia tracks and diesel is usually it..Can be lucky and get regular unleaded...Great 4x4 made for the Middle East..Downside is that Nissan isn't that easy to deal with when it comes to handling claims.

Last edited by Wanderer; 20-06-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 21-06-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

I've been looking at the Y62, really need some more space and softer offroad ride. But it feels like a big step backwards in the cabin.
Old 21-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
I've been looking at the Y62, really need some more space and softer offroad ride. But it feels like a big step backwards in the cabin.
$72,000 to $89,000 for a rather thirsty V8 premium petrol 98 Octane @ 14L/100k..Hmmm..No wonder:

Quote:" Nissan are reconsidering the possibility of the Cummins diesel. Australia HAS NEVER BEEN the only market that would take it. Africa, Europe, NZ, SE Asia are all prospective markets for a Y62 diesel Patrol."

A diesel would push the price up by a few thousand so top of the range would be over the $90,000 mark.

Mind you a mate of mine (yep he has a 200 series Sharah LC and still a mate) is planning to do the Hay River Track towing a Patriot Camper.. He asked how much fuel to do the 690km so told him to take a trip up the soft sand to DI and get an idea..He did and got a shock..41L/100km!!! ..Means he needs an extra 8 jerries to add to the main..No fuel on the way Birdsville to Jervious on the Plenty...There goes the GVM.

The Y62 on premium now that's a question.

When you look at it Jeeps are really good value but then top of the range would be up there now especially with the fall in the AUD eg 0.74 USD

Last edited by Wanderer; 21-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply