Buying Grand Cherokee Diesel - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

Wow interesting thread.

Best advice I can give is buy what you like and what you want everything else is secondary.

We have had new cars before that have spent significant time at the dealer and we eventually offloaded across Holden, Hyundai, Ford and Toyota funnily enough either privately or through fleet.

Our MY14 is our third Jeep having owned a 2002 WJ many years ago then purchasing a 2006 WH Hemi and now the 2014 WK2 and yes we have had some issues with all especially S49 recall and subsequent fix for fans running in high speed which was more annoying than a major problem.

Yes servicing costs are high (our A6 is cheaper) and they cop a bad wrap but they are one helluva car. What modern 4wd can you buy that is as powerful, as comfortable as good looking and is totally modern under the skin (good or bad) for the price of a new GC Deisel?

We found a great mechanic at Cricks Mt Gravatt who has seemed to have sorted the software issues perfectly, Stu Murchison commented how well our goes

At the end of the day only you and your family have to be happy with the car you purchase so buy what is going to put a smile on your face every day and that you will enjoy, but like any relationship take the good with the bad
Old 11-08-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
I've been driving Jeeps (KJs and now WK2) since 2003 and I have had less problems with them than I had with the Ford Falcons I owned previously. My current 2014 WK2 has just clocked up 91,000km of which a significant percentage was towing a 3.5t caravan.
Jeeps are a brand people love to hate, usually for no good reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I agree. The only new car I've ever owned is a BA Falcon XR6, now done only 125K and has had far more issues than my WH GC which has done 212K. The Falcon had the engine out at 60K for a crankshaft grind and new bearings, thankfully was still under warranty! The most annoying thing with the Jeep was the swirl motor issue, (actually a Mercedes Benz issue) and cost me $2 to fix.
Everyone I have spoken to with a WK has good reports, not bad.
Old 11-08-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I'm sure we can find a fan club for every make and model out there, and there is a natural human bias to uptalk the things we have purchased it helps with our self esteem and our judgement mechanisms.

But buying a car like any major purchase is really a exercise in risk, you lay down your readies because you believe the rewards for owning any said vehicle will easily out shine the various risk of ownership. Those risks are many and include the cost, resale value, cost of servicing, cost of breakdowns, loss due to inconvenience, cost of daily running etc...
And I stand by my view that until FCA demonstrably lifts its game in product reliability, cost to service, treatment of customers amongst other areas then buying a jeep has a greater risk versus reward outcome than other makes in the market.

BTW I notice the original question asker has not apparently come back after only 1 post so it may all be academic discussion anyway.
Old 11-08-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
I'm sure we can find a fan club for every make and model out there, and there is a natural human bias to uptalk the things we have purchased it helps with our self esteem and our judgement mechanisms.
I don't think it's a matter of being a fan, but explaining the logic of the decision to buy it. In the risk vs reward calculation, reward of driving a GC as opposed to an everest or a prado or a pajero is far higher. It handles better, has more power, better finish, its just a more rewarding place to be. It does have a few negatives, like offroad comfort, boot space, high parts costs and poorer resale. But you trade that against the rewards, the GC comes out ahead, in my experience.

And then you weigh up the risk of failures, their inconvenience and their cost. Everests have their fair share of failures, prados too (D4D injector seals were still a problem when I bought the GC, and CVs, and now dpf issues). There is no risk free option, you can get stung in any brand, for my calculations I'd rather be driving a car that puts a smile on my face day in, day out, then putting up with a jacked up camry when either option can sting me.

So far my experience has been that the jeep is more reliable than my previous toyota, and it costs less to service (stay away from the dealer), plus I have a big grin when I''m driving it. I really don't care what the badge says, if toyota made a car this good, I'd be buying it.
Old 11-08-2017
Greying Nomad

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

We bought our first Jeep (KJ) because we wanted a 4wd and the KJ was the only one we tried which my wife felt comfortable driving.

We bought the WK2 because we needed a 3.5t towing capacity, which restricted our choice to Land Rover, Range Rover, 200 series cruiser, or a few dual cab utes. Since I didn't want a dual cab as my daily driver financial considerations made the Jeep CRD the obvious choice.

Old 11-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
We bought our first Jeep (KJ) because we wanted a 4wd and the KJ was the only one we tried which my wife felt comfortable driving.

We bought the WK2 because we needed a 3.5t towing capacity, which restricted our choice to Land Rover, Range Rover, 200 series cruiser, or a few dual cab utes. Since I didn't want a dual cab as my daily driver financial considerations made the Jeep CRD the obvious choice.

and apart from the range rover what of those even comes close to the comfort level of a WK2 inside ..

nothing
Old 11-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
exactly the same as my wife, great little car but we traded it on the Limited after my brother took me for a spin in his Summit. Cant get either of us out of the GC

Had Landys or pommie jeeps as they call em for years but they lack leg room for us tallish lads even the late models

Ide love a v8 workmate but what do ya get for the cost

Cannot beat the GC, bang for buck its awsome..and it has carpet and not vinyl floors