Not Stockton Beach this Easter - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Not Stockton Beach this Easter

I have just spent a few days at Newcastle and decided to have a look at Stockton Beach, which has had a few mentions on this forum.
The Newcastle end was definitely not for dogs, horses, motorcycles, camping, fires or motor vehicles so I headed north to find the 4WD access.
It was not hard to find as a few kms north there was an intersection with a service station and interestingly, at least 40 4WD's parked up. I headed down towards the beach only to find a stalled queue of 4WD's just short of the dunes. I parked and took a walk down the queue to find that the rangers and police had set up a roadblock and they were not just checking permits as in the 10 minutes I was there not one vehicle got onto the beach.
Not a good weekend to take your 4WD to Stockton Beach.

And dammit, I forgot to take photos of them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stockton.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	53741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian0104.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	53745  
Old 10-04-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pretty sure that would have been the National Parks industrial action they have been talking about. They locked up a few Parks around Australia.

That said there are a few other places you can get onto Stockton Beach other than the main entrances.
Old 10-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you know if they have opened it up again? Was it just for the easter weekend?
Old 10-04-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

We drove on to the beach on Sunday afternoon, there where a few police cars on the beach and around the Lavis Lane area.
Massive storm hit that night and lots of people left the beach - leaving their damaged camping gear on the beach - poor form in deed!
Ranger visited us in the morning and made no mention of beach being closed just asked how we went with the storm and commented about dumped camping gear by other groups. Later saw a NP cruiser coming on the beach with a trailer to start picking up dumped gear.
Lots of police and rangers on the beach on Sunday morning
We left via Lavis Lane about midday on Monday and there was RBT set up. Rangers where also present. Everyone was in a happy mood and police told us Max Tracks where illegal on the roof and they needed to confiscate them LOL
Old 10-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Everyone was in a happy mood and police told us Max Tracks where illegal on the roof and they needed to confiscate them LOL
They'd have to kill me before they took my maxxtrax(if i owned a pair)
They aint cheap
I don't understand how hard it is to take out what you brought in
No wonder places get closed up

Last edited by jeep112; 10-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
We drove on to the beach on Sunday afternoon, police told us Max Tracks where illegal on the roof and they needed to confiscate them LOL
How can they be illegal if strapped to roof racks they would mean surf boards builders ladders or anything on your roof would be illegal or where they just strapped to roof no support ?
Old 10-04-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

I think they (police) were having a light hearted joke by the sounds of what Heidi was saying.

Help support the future of the forum
Post New Thread  Reply