"weekend" rims - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-06-2003
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default "weekend" rims

Hi Guys,
I have a 2002 WJ which I purchased last November and have lately been enjoying the offroad capablities of my machine however, a recent un-nerving offroad experience involving the standard Goodyear SR/As (245/70/16) has convinced me I need to look at something a bit more serious for weekend excursions into the bush.
I am thinking of a set of aggressive rubber I can use offroad and switch back to my standard tyres for the Mon-Fri grind. I wanted to set a cheap pair of rims and get them shod with something decent. Thing is, short of using my existing rims and going for an A/T tyre (I want something with a bit more oomph), I cannot for the life of me find any cheap rims (Sunraysias or similar??) that fit the 2002 WJ - Does anyone know of any options I can look at short of buying another set WJ rims (I was quoted $1000 by one of the Jeep wreckers for a 2nd hand set of imported rims - not what I really need for bush bashing. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 16-06-2003
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default "weekend" rims

you are going to find it hard to find bash around rims for WJ. they have 5x5 and thats pretty much the only vehicle wiht that stud pattern..

you might try to find some one custom steelies for you, they still not "cheap"... and not sure about engineering too...

anyhow you might want to buy some good rims and out ya road tires on there and run ya existing rims with ya offroad tires.

i just run my stock rims and not worry about it..

good luck with it anyway..
if you find some give us a holla.. im sort of interest too :D

[ 16 June 2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: billsta ]
Old 17-06-2003
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default "weekend" rims

Thanks for the info Bilsta,
I actually called the Albion Jeep service dept today to see if they had any rims or knew of any..no luck. However, (I am new to this so excuse me if my suggestion sounds kind of newbie..ish,)I asked if I could fit 15 inch rims to my GC and the guy said I could but would have to go to a higher profile tyre to retain the lift - Is it any easier finding a 15inch 5 x 5 ??
(There seems to be a better selection of tyres available in 15' as well)
Old 17-06-2003
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default "weekend" rims

ok...
heres the deal.
i can almost assure you that you cant fit a 15" rim on a WJ... the brake calipers will get in the way.
dont just take my word for it. have a look how much room there is between teh front calipers and the inside of the rim. or better still find 15" rim and try to sit over your rotor you might find it a very tight fit.... maybe they'll fit, if they do, i apologise..
however, some people in the us said they found some 15" steel rims that will fit the WJ with 5.5 or 4" backspacing... (WJ has 6" standard backspacing, cant remember, been a long time) but i never followed it up. it was just way too expensive to have it imported and find out it dont fit.
but i have just checked the site, and they seem to have a 16x8 by 5x5... so it seems we might have some wheels that fits.
but remember they are in the US...

http://www.uswheel.com/steel.htm

have a look at the daytona 87-84 they seems to have wheels that are teh right size... but having said that, they dont tell us what the backspacing/offset are so they that might be the one thing that disappoints us... the other might be the price, when i last checked a year or two ago, they were about 60 USD, and converting it and add stamp duty, import tax, GST etc. etc. plus fright, the final price tag just didnt fit my budget for steel rims.

the other i foudn with the same stud pattern size and offset is "American Racing" Pythons. they are worth 350 polished and a mortage for chromed...
American Racing

ROH used to make ZS for AEV in the US, last i heard of them they have stop producing them and i also asked ROH Australia, and they told me they never hear of it.

so there you are.. thats as much as i know about wheels for WJ... i never really had a deep look into it.. i just use my stock rims and they are scratched **** house.. but its not all that bad...

but the way.. i would ring and ask that "jeep service guy" about the 15" rim that fits. cos i never heard of it... but the other thing about higher profile is pretty much correct....

good luck with it.. i gave up trying, hope you have better luck

cheers

[ 17 June 2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: billsta ]
Old 17-06-2003
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default "weekend" rims

Is it the same stud pattern as on the cherokees/wranglers?
Old 17-06-2003
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default "weekend" rims

Nope!
Old 30-06-2003
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

When I had my V8 Kombi I got some custom wheels made, 15x7 for about $120 each with the backspacing I asked for etc etc, they were very strong and pretty cheap. I can't remember the name of the place except that it was at Kingswood and was called something like Street Wheels.

Maybe that'll help. Oh and they used ROH rims and custom cut the centres for them.

Cheers
Steve

Just checked it is called Street Wheels at 121 Coreen Ave Penrith (02) 4721 5893
Post New Thread  Reply