Anyone had steering box issues? What did you do to fix it - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Anyone had steering box issues? What did you do to fix it

Hey folks.

I've got a dead spot in my steering - the wheels wander a bit going straight ahead or on slight curves. Anyway with the help of my mechanic we've narrowed it down to the steering box. I need probably a new one. I've read a bit on other forums that have said certain models can be rebuilt, certain others can't, mine fits in the category of ones that can't.

Anyway, buying a new one from Jeep is outa the question. They want 3300 bucks or so for the replacement box. No way.

Second option is there's a wrecker nearby that has one, its off a wreck that had 87000k's on it (which is more than what my JK has >.< ) and they want 600 and something. Its reasonably priced I suppose but my JK's only got 57000k's on it (I've had the problem since about the 50,000 mark) and whats to say the OEM replacement isn't just going to shit it after another 50,000. or less in the case of a used part?

Third (and my favourite) option I've been looking at is a "big bore" steering box from the likes of Quadratec or Northridge4x4. I've played with the idea of getting a hydro assist ram steering setup, but its pretty expensive and I'm only running 33's, I don't see it as worth it. My question though, with the steering boxes from US parts dealers, since all the places I've seen that sell bigger steering boxes are US based do they actually fit properly on right hand drive cars? Are the boxes similar on US sold and Aus sold Jeeps? Or is there an Australian Jeep parts place that will sell bigger bore steering boxes?

Has anyone had any experience with the big bore steering boxes? Are they easy to fit? Do you need a bigger power steering pump? I'm by no means an expert but my understanding of how hydraulics work is the bigger cylinder in the box would mean the power steering pump would have to flow faster to get the same steering feel - I haven't got the cash right now for a replacement steering box AND a bigger power steering pump.

EDIT: With 3" suspension lift, is it worthwhile getting a different pitman arm? Northridge4x4 sell pitman arms with a 'drop' in them that suits various suspension lift sizes, wondering if having the standard pitman arm is going to contribute to the new steering box packing it or if I'm ordering parts from USA is it worth just grabbing one of those anyway.

Last edited by Petehehe; 13-10-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 13-10-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Can you swap the two types of steering boxes?
If so you could source a rebuildable one
Fill it full of fresh parts & away you go
Old 13-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0vator View Post
Yeah I could do maybe that? Or I could just get a new one of the ones that don't break so easily.
Old 13-10-2017
StaunStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

57000km and your steering box needs replacing? Unless there's more to this story, I'd get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13-10-2017
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petehehe View Post
EDIT: With 3" suspension lift, is it worthwhile getting a different pitman arm? Northridge4x4 sell pitman arms with a 'drop' in them that suits various suspension lift sizes, wondering if having the standard pitman arm is going to contribute to the new steering box packing it or if I'm ordering parts from USA is it worth just grabbing one of those anyway.
Pretty sure that won't fit RHD .
Old 14-10-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0vator View Post
Although I'm not fluent in JK's, the pre-2003 TJ steering box is rebuildable and costs under $800 (changeover)
If you have a 2004 TJ or later it's not rebuildable and the mounting points do not allow for a swap to the latter box that is.

In the same way, I highly doubt the KJ box is interchangeable.

Ring Supersteer in Vic - he may be able to help but as said, even with 33" "57000km and your steering box needs replacing?" don't sound right to me, you should get over 100k
Old 14-10-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Boxes from the USA are not going to fit your car - they are LHD. There is no after-market option for RHD vehicles. LHD and RHD internals (seals / sector shaft etc) are interchangeable though. The earlier Delphi box is different from the later CMMS box. Parts are not interchangeable between the two. Parts for the CMMS box seem non existent. PSC sell parts for the Delphi box. JKU and JK have different gear ratios 14:1 vs 16:1.

In any case, not much can really go wrong with these boxes. Most common problems are bent sector shaft and leaks. If you have free-play in the steering, you may need to simple tighten up the adjustment screw. I would recommend spending half an hour pulling the top cover off and inspecting before bucketing out money for a new/used one. It's really a very simple device and any mechanic should be able to exactly identify the problem within an hour.
Post New Thread  Reply