Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 55 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-04-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default N23 gremin returned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Welcome to the party

If you loose 4low again & need it with the ignition in the run position (engine off) disconnect the plug from the actuator (transfer case motor on the left hand side if the T/Case) and then hook it back up, this will rest the module and put the DTC warning into a stored state and low will work again.

Only takes a minute, this was told to me by a Jeep tech & yes I have done it.
The gremlin came back 3 weeks after the Jeep dealer fix! Started the engine in the morning and "Service 4WD System" came-up.
Tried unplug/plug trick. Thanks for the tip but it did not work for me (bugger of a thing to unplug!).
Off to the workshop again tomorrow. Maybe something else went wrong but after 7 great years of reliable motoring why would the transfer case malfunction without being operated? Circumstantial evidence has N23 in the frame.
If this is how Jeep try to get old customers to update to the new model I have news for them. The new model has more electronics that can only bring more grief. If they can't fix this tomorrow I might go looking for a simpler vehicle. Can I still buy something with transfer case lever?

Cheers,
Rolf
Old 28-04-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 819 Times in 460 Posts

After 2.5 months after the last reflash(4 so far) at least 40 shifts in out of low 4x4 with old actuator the service 4x4 light came back yesterday.Turned off motor, left key on, left in neutral,got under vehicle removed and put back actuator plug back in,low 4x4 again.I have a new actuator at Jeep Coffs to fit ,do not think this will fix this problem.As I have mentioned before have broached the subject with NSW Office FT very interested to take it further.If the new actuator fails to fix the problem I will start action.The time ,money and klms spent on this problem is bloody unreal, plus 3 trips away cancelled,after 8 months still no permanent fix.!!Are the CF techs in US so bloody useless they cannot solve this problem ?
Old 29-04-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My WH is in at the Jeep dealer today having this 'fixed'...

It is the first time i have had it in for this so who knows what the outcome will be. The dealer did the recall without my knowledge, which I was pretty annoyed about. I didn't think they would be legally allowed to adjust my vehicle without my knowledge.

Anyway, I am pretty annoyed (note, annoyed actually stands for something much stronger) about this having occurred in the first place. I dropped the Jeep off to have something else done, and they do the recall without telling me.

Currently, I am on hold at the dealer. I rang and went through to voice-mail. I called back and now am on hold. I have been on hold for at least 14 minutes.
Old 29-04-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default N23 Gremlin "fixed" for the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay0019 View Post
My WH is in at the Jeep dealer today having this 'fixed'...

It is the first time i have had it in for this so who knows what the outcome will be. The dealer did the recall without my knowledge, which I was pretty annoyed about. I didn't think they would be legally allowed to adjust my vehicle without my knowledge.

Anyway, I am pretty annoyed (note, annoyed actually stands for something much stronger) about this having occurred in the first place. I dropped the Jeep off to have something else done, and they do the recall without telling me.

Currently, I am on hold at the dealer. I rang and went through to voice-mail. I called back and now am on hold. I have been on hold for at least 14 minutes.
I just got back from the dealer's workshop where the service manager cleared my codes (C1405 & C140F) 3 times, until they all went away (second time we have used this ritual). Now everything works just fine.....until the next time the gremlin returns. My suspicion is that the actuator drifts out of the tolerance range, brings-up the DTC and incapacitates the control. Since the unplug trick did not work for me I have my own code reader on the way. So long as it detects and clears these Jeep specific codes I will at least be able to get it working myself wherever I may be.
Good luck!
Rolf

PS - the gremlin returned after 2 hours! I think the actuator drift tolerance after the re-flash is tighter than the mechanical ability to hold position. i.e. they are asking the actuator to do the impossible.

Last edited by Redbaron57; 13-05-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Gremlin returned after 2 hours
Old 30-04-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4WD Low Fixed...hopefully this is the first and last time

fingers crossed. picked up from the dealer last night. all appears to be working this time.
Old 30-04-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 819 Times in 460 Posts

If its fixed you will be one of the 1% !!!Go and buy a lottery ticket.The reflash might last one day ,one week,one month or more,however just as you are about to cross a rough spot to get home bingo,no 4x4 low.This is the big problem,you do not know when its going to fail.Also the GC guys in the states who are trying to trade up to new WK have been told the dealers wont even trade their vehicles untill this debacle is sorted.Anybody had this problem yet.??
Old 30-04-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
If its fixed you will be one of the 1% !!!Go and buy a lottery ticket.The reflash might last one day ,one week,one month or more,however just as you are about to cross a rough spot to get home bingo,no 4x4 low.This is the big problem,you do not know when its going to fail.Also the GC guys in the states who are trying to trade up to new WK have been told the dealers wont even trade their vehicles untill this debacle is sorted.Anybody had this problem yet.??
who was the person attempting to get a class action up? i have looked quickly, and cannot find them...
Post New Thread  Reply