DIY Air tank Options - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-11-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I worked out the volume of the cylinder to be about 3.7lts trying to take into account the thickness and also the shape at the top.

For the mounting I already have a mount for the compressor onthe passenger side in the rear running the wires over to the other side to connect up to the agm battery located there. The tank would be fitted forward of that over the inner guard. If I can find out about welding this tank for the fittings, i will do a thread on it.
Old 26-11-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting link about the way air is compressed

http://www.compressed-air-cylinders....der-sizes.html

Anyone know then how they measure the tanks that are sold ie; 1 lt, 9lts and how much they actually hold and at what pressure?
Old 26-11-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

I bought a tank for 99 bucks, with switch, reg & filter and it is a 24lt. It fits behind the back seat over the wheel arch and protrudes about 100mm past the wheel arch. The length is perfect as it is just short of hitting the tail gate. I did not weld anything just had the inlet pipe cut and flared so the flexi hose would not pop off. Might be an easier option. I was going to use a small gas tank and weld on some bits but it was going to be about 50 bucks for all the bits and the junk yard wanted 15 bucks for a switch and reg/filter so he was told no thanks, (I offered him $5).

regards A
Old 26-11-2011
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKEE View Post
Interesting link about the way air is compressed

http://www.compressed-air-cylinders....der-sizes.html

Anyone know then how they measure the tanks that are sold ie; 1 lt, 9lts and how much they actually hold and at what pressure?
There is a formula using bars but is a bastard to work it out. Basically I can store about 180-190 litres compressed, which is not much. With my 24L tank I hold enough air to undo or re-tighten 5 wheel nuts before the comp kicks back in.
In terms of holding heaps of air it will not be enough to pump a 235/75 R15 from 10 - 40 before the pump kicks back in.

What is your desire purpose for the tank? If it is just airing back up you may find it taking up space for a small benefit. But if you are like me and need it for air tools and spray equipment or other then it will be worth it.

regards A
Old 26-11-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Thanx Seacomms for the free publicity! LoL

Hi Guyz
I have copy'd and pasted a chunk from my build thread, - I have to say this little mod is one of my Favs - I used the rattle gun recently to get the nearly seized nuts off a mates tractor and the air chisel to sort out its slasher problems, I love being able to run my lockers all day without having to run my ARB compressor - (I sometimes fill the tank from a servo b4 I air down).

This is a trail only mod - I don't cruise around the streets with the bar charged up so pls don't post up telling about various pressure vessle laws - blah blah blah. ----- I had a mate who is a boiler maker do all the welds and I reckon 100psi in a bar the thickness of mine has little chance to cause any havock - infact I used to have the compressor supply blue line cable tied to the brake lines until one day I heard a little air sounding explosion and unbelievably the brake lines under the bonnet had got so hot that they melted a hole in the line and I lost 100psi in a few seconds - enjoy cheers Hunty

I finally got around to completing a project that has been in my head for years; turn my front bar into an air tank so I can run a rattle gun whilst out wheelin on a tough trail!

I installed my ARB compressor in behind my spare wheel - mainly because under the bonnet of my JK the temperature reaches that of Satans BBQ!

I then welded up the ends of my front bar to make it Air tight - drilled and tapped a brass drain plug and installed a quick release air outlet with non return valve.

I wanted to know the pressure so I added a PSI gauge to the right of my steering wheel.

Finally today I charged it up to 100psi (recommended by the manufacturer of my rattle gun) and attempted to get 1 of the wheel studs off that had been rattled on by an intellectually challenged tyre monkey! LoL - so tight that I bent my wheel brace trying to loosen it!

I hope you enjoy the write up as much as I will enjoy having my rattle gun on the trails
cheers
Hunty

ps - the last 2 pix are photobucket videos - just click in the middle of them to watch.

Old 26-11-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Hunty - That look pretty cool.

yeah, I want to be able to run a rattle gun as well as airing up

I could just go and buy the tank, but I like to DIY if I can for something to do.Also trying to see what others can come up with?
Old 26-11-2011
MonsterMoose

Here is a pic of mine. It too took some customisation but not too much.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=108256

regards A
Post New Thread  Reply