My 1996 ZG Grand Cherokee Laredo - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default My 1996 ZG Grand Cherokee Laredo

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a ZG Grand cheap to replace the tired old commodore I have. I need to get the Jeep on the road by March because that's when the rego is due on the dunnydoor, which is due for retirement.

Currently the Jeep is running pretty sad. I did a compression test, which had me a bit nervous but all checked out ok. (Around 170 psi) I removed the manifolds and welded up the leaking exhaust. I also fitted some VS V6 commodore injectors and some new NGK spark plugs. It's running better, but not great. I still want to replace the fuel filter, cap, rotor and leads and fill up the tank. It was sitting for a few years with very little fuel in it.

For RWC it will need new tyres and any other "little" thing that they can find. The previous owner took out the front driveshaft but it's in the back so I'll bolt it back in soon. The stock side steps have been given the flick, looks heaps better without them.

I'm looking at throwing on some 245/70R16 "General Grabber AT's" and a 2 inch spacer lift to start with. I picked up a new, cheap 12,000lb winch for $300 off a mate. I know it's not the bee's knee's, but for the amount of work it will get hopefully it should be ok. I want to fab up one of those flatlands winch bars. They look tough. I also want to get a roof baket to mount a light bar and a spare.

Being in Victoria I can't wait to get it muddy on some trails and take the family to some beautiful camping spots.

Last edited by Josha; 06-02-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Sounds great, I found my old ZG to be a great vehicle. If you need a manual check out the Ëverything 2.7CRD"sticky, the link for the 2.7 manual will lead you to one for the ZG/J", (well I'm pretty sure it does).
You will find heaps of parts for them at places like Bursons or Repco etc, if it still has the standard manifold look around for a set of headers as it will just crack again, changing the fuel filter if the plastic clips break just chuck em and use hose with hose clamps, way better than those stupid clips. Flush the coolant if it's been sitting for ages, Nulon Green or Red is good. Give the radiator a good going over as they can be leaky with age.
Why the front shaft removed ?? CV wonky?
Well hope all goes well, have fun.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-01-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Get your roadworthy before doing any modding.
Old 12-01-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Get your roadworthy before doing any modding.
+1.

Also, the advice up thread about the radiators is good. I just got a 1997 limited back on the road and both the radiator and water pump were toast. The radiators can be had very cheap on Ebay so that is not a problem, water pump was done by the garage I had the roadworthy done (not too expensive). Throw a new belt on there at the same time. spark plugs, wires and a dizzy cap are cheap and will help with the running. make sure all the vacuum lines from the manifold are taped up as they seem to harden and crack with age. You can cobble them back together with rubber tubing and electrical tape until you manage to find good originals.

Other stuff that I did on mine: headlights were buggered (glass falling off the bases) but the repro ones on Ebay (make sure they are RHD) are plenty good. Rear wheel bearings will probably need checking on any older jeep (i.e. all of them, not just the ZJ) but replacing them on a ZJ/ZG is extremely simple. I ended up buying heavy duty axles and new bearings in a kit for $700 odd which I thought was good value.

My car in particular seems to have gone through a period of extremely poor maintenance, the rear ABS sensor wires were snipped but again I went to ebay and bought replacements that work fine and are cheap.

Any car sitting for that period of time will need the brakes inspecting. Nobody disconnects a driveshaft without something being extremely broken - I'm going to guess the CV joints are stuffed in yours on the front axle so get under there and have a good look. Mine were OK so I have no idea what kind of money it takes to refurbish them.

Rear exhaust muffler was rotted out on mine too, along with the trailing arm bushes on the front axle (superpro make good replacements for those).

Reading on the internet leads me to believe the interior electrics are basically an ongoing project (central locking actuators, weird messages from the "4wd switch" and sundry other broken switches etc). Most of those can be addressed as you have the means I think. At least that's my plan.
Old 13-01-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

oh yeah, if you need a new water pump, be warned you will find 2 pumps on the listings so check which one you need first, Bursons had them for about $95.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 13-01-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The bloke I got it off took out the front shaft because he thought it would be cheaper on fuel as a two wheel drive. Not a bad spin of salesman BS hey? Once I get it running right I'll bolt in the shaft and check it all out.

Yeah, my first priority is a RWC and rego. After that, the fun will start. Kids are busting my chops to get out in in as well.
Old 13-01-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josha View Post
The bloke I got it off took out the front shaft because he thought it would be cheaper on fuel as a two wheel drive. Not a bad spin of salesman BS hey? Once I get it running right I'll bolt in the shaft and check it all out.

Yeah, my first priority is a RWC and rego. After that, the fun will start. Kids are busting my chops to get out in in as well.
It doesn't do the 249 transfer case any good running it without the front drive shaft. It will burn out the viscous coupling.