JK Fuel Filter Install/Change CRD Diesel - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-11-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool JK Fuel Filter Install/Change CRD Diesel

I just did the fuel filter on my jk 2007. 130k CRD

I saw some tips on the internet and combined with a parts manual (2008 JK pdf) did the job.

Here is how I did it. I am not a pro!..it took me this long to find the damm thing.

Drivers side, behind the front wheel find the bash cover that protects the filter and remove the three bolts holding it in place. The bolts are on the chassis rails. You will need to loosen the bash cover that shields the the exhaust too. Loosen the center bolt and the bolt on the passenger side. The bolts will have dirt, muck and grit on their threads so clean them or be prepared for high torque un-theading. wd40 comes in handy here. The bolt has dirt on it and undoing it draws the crap down into the bolt......

Pull down the bash plate a bit and slide out the plate holding the filter. Don't pull on the fuel lines. You will find a bracket that clamps the filter. Undo the left bolt. If you can slacken the right bolt do it also (not essential).

Slide the filter out of the bracket. At the bottom of the filter there is a sensor. Unplug it. Use a screw driver to push in the lip that holds the plug together.You can pop the plug out of the bash plate to make it easier.

Unscrew the sensor from the filter and catch the .5L of fuel and gunk that comes out.

How the ******** are you supposed to regularly drain the filter when it is hidden up in the chassis like this...sjvgsjkh...engineers

Now the filter is loose spin it off. As it is probably overtightened before you got to it (hell if they don't over-tighten things the dealerships would make 0 $$$..) , hold the top part of the housing with a pipe/plumbing wrench or a 4 inch g clamp. Put a oil filter wrench on the filter...I used a cheapo type that is a band of metal that is tightened around around the filter.

I did not do this but...take the new filter, put on the bottom sensor (pull of the cap that comes with filter) and fill will diesel. No diesel? just put on the sensor and see what happens.....

Screw on the filter , tighten as per INSTRUCTIONS printed on the GFGHFDJ filter.

Reassemble.

Start the jeep up.
No adding fuel to the filter?,,, it will crank and cut out.
Then crank again and bingo.

Next alt belt to shut up that idle air conditioning slip/whine.

PS Balance tires frequently..death wobble is not fun.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11534...86952574040417
Old 21-05-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks for this. I was wondering with a new empty filter whether you had to purge the air. Looks like you don't.
Old 21-05-2015
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

changed a few in mine yes they are in a bad spot but never had to prime it just turn the ignition on and apparently there is a electric pump in the fuel tank that primes the lines
Old 21-05-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I do mine a few times a year, it is a real pain in the arse.

I use a shifter to hold the top bit while I undo the filter from the top/base part.

When restarting, I just turn the ignition on and listen for the lift pump to pump up. You can hear the pump in the tank run and cut out. Turn off the ignition and back on again a few times to prime the system.

Other than that, there are no real tricks. Just remember that it needs to be done up my hand tight enough to not leak. Don't tighten it on with a strap wrench.

I am playing with a 3rd party filter assembly that I can mount in an easy to reach place that uses a standard filter that I can share with my boat .

Greg
Old 21-05-2015
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

The proper way it to remove the fuel pump relay, start the engine til it stalls change the filter, fit the relay, turn to ignition wait for the pump to stop then start, this method prevents engine light to come on.

, [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-------)_)

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 16-03-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it’s 10 years later, but would you or anyone happen to know the part number for it? I’m a bit confused as this thread mentions a sensor which I don’t see a hole for on the ones when using rego to find which one on ryco’s website. Also the manual says fuel filter/water separator unit whereas everywhere just says fuel filter. I’m looking to change it with the next service so if you guys don’t know I’ll just look at it.
Thanks
Post New Thread  Reply