New Yank member! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default New Yank member!

Greetings to my fellow Jeepers Down Under! I have been browsing the site, and got shut down until I joined, so here I am. Thought I would give a short intro. Owned Jeeps since the mid nineties. Couple YJs, a WK (WH for you all), a CJ-2, and a 2012 WK2 coming this week! Still own my second YJ. I'm pretty much only into long distance overland travel these days. That's why I suppose I ended up here. It appears that my build philosophy aligns more with Aussie conventions than American. This forum has been extremely helpful in my build research for my new WK2. Sadly (for me in the States), most of the real off-road parts support for this platform is coming from Aus. I hope to get to know some of you better as I move forward on my build! I'll try to figure out how to get some of my photos up. In the meantime, my mates and I have a website you might enjoy- www.flatwateroverland.com

Old 02-02-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Welcome.
Very interesting comments regarding parts from Australia to suit your needs. Here we usually have to obtain components from the USA to suit our builds.
Between here and there, I guess we can get the best of both worlds.
Old 02-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I guess "the grass is greener on the other side of the pond"? LOL
Old 02-02-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Welcome. Oh, God yes!!! I want to visit the Rockies, as per your Flatwater website... great write up by the way.

Funny how you say in your website that people over there r wanting to privatise the Rockies. Same here with bits and pieces of our outback and forests etc. although most of the restrictions r being created by green minded individuals working with govt authorities, in the mainly wrong belief that people with a 4WD can only do damage.
Old 02-02-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah, welcome. With the current exchange rate, it is definitely a good time to do your shopping even when they're pretty exxy compared to the stuff available there.

For your front bumper, you might want to have a look at uneek

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/steel-wk2...bar-2011-2015/

And this

Have you got your trail tickets for 50th EJS?

Last edited by Tyvokka; 02-02-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi and welcome. That you have already identified as a 'yank' regardless of the location in the States you're from, is the first step to acceptance and understanding from the average Australian.

It's hard for us to get our heads around some of the relaxed rules the US has with vehicle modification, and as a result our local products are generally more restrained or 'less likely to end in catastrophe worthy of YouTube glory'.

I suppose ARB, Uneek4x4 and Kaymar (Drifta is a good one for overland gear) are your best product links to Aus but let us know if there is anything specific you're after, and if it's made in this country, we will be sure to let you know

There may be the occasional 'oh, you don't have that in YOUR country?' jibes, but it's all in good humour. Now I'm off to go ride my kangaroo to the shops to get some croc milk. 😜
Old 02-02-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 166 Times in 99 Posts

G'day Flatwater, welcome aboard.
I just lost 1/2 an hour reading about your adventures, LOL.
I've just parted out my heavily modded XJ and now building a WJ with touring/overlanding in mind. I really enjoyed your trip reports and beautiful scenery; thank you
I think you'll enjoy our 'Ossie' slant on Jeeping.

Cheers,
Ruffy.

Last edited by ruffy01; 02-02-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply