2" OME Kit Feedback - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Thanks Hoobz, appreciate the feedback. Think I'll book it in. I can handle a harsher ride off-road. Still got a few km's left in the Coopers but eventually I I'll go up slightly in tyre size to the 255/70 if the lift allows.
Just reading my post again, it sounds like we don't use it off sealed roads much. We do. A lot. Every weekend it gets mud on it.

It's quite acceptable for us on dirt. We just cruise around in it.

I think I've only bothered to let some air out of the tyres twice to soften the ride a bit. So it's not that bad really.

I think you'll be happy.

My WG with long arms is the polar opposite. Can hit big bumps hard and fast, pretty sweet off road. On road -> It's a boat. Not planted at all.

Last edited by Hoobz; 05-08-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 19-12-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Just wanting some feedback on them. Specifically, what’s been quoted is;
N219S Front Struts
N220 Rear shocks
2990 front coils and 2992 rear coils
So did you end up going with the N219s and N220 struts/shocks with the medium duty springs. How's the ride? Any issues with the valving that everyone complains about?
Old 20-12-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts

Take into consideration that lift kits etc do not make any difference to your diffs ground clearance height.
It remains exactly the same as stock.
Tyre profiles change dramatically in any wheel height specs too!
And this changes the clearance height of your diffs + ride height.
A very over looked scenario.
And a taller tyre will " generally " give you a softer ride feel and more forgiving over pot holes etc.
If you step up from say 17" wheels, to 18" wheels, yet keep the exact same profile series tyre, you will gain a 1/2" inch of the diffs ground clearance and ride height.
But... it will throw out your speed etc due to ratio.but Thus giving you a better top end ratio/ speed/ economy.
But you will loose a bit of acceleration performance, and down lown grunt.
Its a bit like changing your ring gears from a 3.55 to a 3.08 etc.
As a general rule...
If you fitted a steel bull and winch, you would need a 1" lift kit to balance out the ride height up front to stock.
So if you had a steel bull bar and winch (100kg) and wanted a 2" lift on top of that... you need a 3" lift kit, that will bring you down to a 2" lift kit to stock height.
But you are really now changing the geometry of the drive line.
Even if a legal with a 2" lift, you need/should make further adjustments to compensate such.
The 1" extra lift kit to compensate for the bar and winch is common, and balances out, and geometry stays basically the same without any dramas.
You have to ask yourself "what is real to you expectations wise"
Rear suspension...
If you are towing a camper van/ caravan/ heavy box trailer the majority of the time, yes heavier duty springs are the go to maintain level stock ride height.
If you are now and then guy...
Go air bags when towing!
Years ago before towing vans and heavy trailers became popular, good 4X4's generally had long travel soft suspension to give a nice ride over the rough.
Sports cars had hard firm suspension, sacrificing comfort over performance.
My opinion is look up what is the max wheel and tyre height combo you can run legally.
This will keep your geometry correct, increased fule Economy , better diff ground clearance, ( lift kits do not increase diff clearance) stock ride comfort feel .
Downside is speedo will need recalibration, loss of grunt down low, but better top end speed equally.
The combination of both wheel/ tyre height and lift kits are taken into consideration as the same when dealing with legal state laws and insurance etc.
So check before proceeding with mods.
If you don't don't tow heavy loads, and don't have a steel bull bar/ winch etc. And not concerned about diff clearance, and you want to keep the softer stock ride feel...
And just want to jack it up a bit..
You can get rear shackles longer, and coil spacers for the front etc.
This will lift the body/chassis only, not the diff height clearance. Handy for creek crossing and looks only.
And keep the stock suspension ride feel.
But it will affect the geometry of the driveline . $$$ will need to be spent to compensate for such.
In essence, a 4" lift kit dose not change your diff height clearance off the ground at all.
Thus leaving you with exactly the same height as stock with axel ground clearance

Last edited by Mudgee hunter; 20-12-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Further tips
Old 21-12-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 844 Times in 472 Posts

My 2010 WH diesel with 2 inch OE std lift is great on road,bloody terrible in any light corrogations etc.Rebound valving non existant,spring rate too hard,Teeth banging ride ! These companies state they test set ups in real world situations.B———t!
Old 21-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

“ If you fitted a steel bull and winch, you would need a 1" lift kit to balance out the ride height up front to stock.
So if you had a steel bull bar and winch (100kg) and wanted a 2" lift on top of that... you need a 3" lift kit, that will bring you down to a 2" lift kit to stock height.
But you are really now changing the geometry of the drive line.
Even if a legal with a 2" lift, you need/should make further adjustments to compensate such.
The 1" extra lift kit to compensate for the bar and winch is common, and balances out, and geometry stays basically the same without any dramas. ”

I went 2” lift kit, HD springs all round. Steel bull bar and Warne winch up front. All good, didn’t need 3” lift front and this is the first time I’ve heard of that? Had it back at ARB last month and they checked heights at each corner, everything was within mm’s of perfect all the way round and that is after 6 years.
Old 11-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH_5.7L View Post
So did you end up going with the N219s and N220 struts/shocks with the medium duty springs. How's the ride? Any issues with the valving that everyone complains about?
Hi mate, I went with N219S in the front and N220 shocks in the rear. In general I am very happy with the lift. It has made a big difference to clearance of the front bash plate which was the desired outcome. Ride is much better than stock albeit a little more noisy (a few creaks). I think I may get the toe in reduced as after 30K Km's I am noticing some wear on the outside of the front tyres.

Measurements Pre and Post Lift:
Front wheel centre to guard increased from 455mm to 540mm
Rear wheel centre to guard increased from 485mm to 530mm
Front bash plate to ground increased from 185mm to 260mm

I have driven it a bit (not a lot) on corrugated roads. Mostly while towing. It was far from enjoyable but to me it wasn't terrible in my view. To be honest, I haven't been in a vehicle where corrugations are a pleasant experience.

Last edited by davet; 11-01-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply