Weight distribution question - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-02-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Default Weight distribution question

220 kg on 1115 std towball to axle centre.
Removes 84kg from front axle
Adds 84 to rear.
Add front passengers say180kg
Wouldn't the weight of the passengers say 180 kgs almost replace front axle load loss without the need for wdh.
Front axle to load ,divided by wheel base, times load.
Approx 1.3/2915 ×180=80kg.
Therefore 80 kgs back to front wheels.
Am I calculating this correctly.
Im assuming Jeeps max 226 (10% 226 ball weight without wdh being the result of passengers weight in front axle load restoration, being sufficient to be safe or acceptable.
Cheers
Old 20-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Without debating your physics or mathematics.......
This from the 2014 Owners manual "If the gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) or more, it is mandatory to use a weight-distributing hitch to ensure stable handling of your vehicle."
On making an enquiry with my insurance company I was advised they considered the above warning was clear and constituted possible grounds for refusal of a claim should I choose not to comply and submitted a claim for any event involving towing.
My choice is to not allow them any fudge room whatsoever - I use a WDH.
John
Old 20-02-2019
Senior Newbie

Thanks John
From what info I have seen I thought it was 2268 kg before wdh was required.
Im more interested in the front axle load restoration with relation to passengers.
My van is right on the 2268kg threshold and have towed to Melbourne and back with and without my wdh.
The vehicle and van feel much more in sync and much smoother to tow without wdh.
I do believe that vans loading is very critical to towball weight and overall stability.
Cheers
I
Old 20-02-2019
Senior Newbie

Sorry about original post being weird in last paragraph.
I dont know what happened but its not exactly what I had written.
Cheers

Last edited by Wkoz; 20-02-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Context
Old 21-02-2019
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nomads, what model / year / engine type do you have?

JnK, When you refer to the 2014 manual, which model? - those weights sound a bit odd. For example, the CRD requires a WDH when tow weight is over 2268kg.
Old 21-02-2019
Senior Newbie

Southern Comfort
My14 3.0 diesel 8 speed Overland.
Find the jeep an awesome dual purpose vehicle.
My partners daily drive and my tow truck.
Curious to what I've read re replacing lost front axle load (fal) with wdh.
Most info I've read re wdh says to restore fal to 50 % of original with empty vehicle. Fair enough,but when you and your partner hop in to leave you are adding to the fal.
Surely that would eliminate the need for a wdh in a lot of cases.
Cheers
Old 21-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
Without debating your physics or mathematics.......
This from the 2014 Owners manual "If the gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) or more, it is mandatory to use a weight-distributing hitch to ensure stable handling of your vehicle."
On making an enquiry with my insurance company I was advised they considered the above warning was clear and constituted possible grounds for refusal of a claim should I choose not to comply and submitted a claim for any event involving towing.
My choice is to not allow them any fudge room whatsoever - I use a WDH.
John
Source required on this, those numbers are certainly not in my manual and you are the first person on this forum to use these numbers.

EDIT: Apparently it's a copy/paste from the USA Manual.

Last edited by SnakeDoctor; 21-02-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply