XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
In Australia, most of the time the climate will allow the box to heat up quickly enough anyway. On my supercharged Levin import (and the N/A race car), the manual gearbox doesn't have a thermostat on the oil cooler and it has no dramas with spinning the synchros up quick enough when cold.
I guess it depends on what climate you're basing your primary requirements on... we live in a relatively cold section of Victoria that experiences regular cold weather patterns (with the odd heat waves tossed in too) hence the compromise between a "stand-alone" transmission cooler and an "in-series" configuration, as I stated earlier I went for the OEM->DC set up because the plumbing was the easiest (with the available tubing) I may experiment down the track with the opposite arrangement with the radiator's heat exchanger more directly regulating the returning transmission oil's temperature
Old 01-01-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you do that, you'll be heating your cooled oil back to the temp your engine cooling system is running at.....

You can buy inline thermostats, they bypass the oil cooler when cold, and allow full flow when hot. That way you get the best of both worlds, quick warm up, and no heat loading across cooling systems.
Old 01-01-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

I looked for the inline thermostat can not find one. any idear where to get them from?
I think some of the adrad trans oil coolers have them built in.

http://adrad.com.au/performance/Adra...ance.Catalogue[Oct.09].pdf

1. To control the amount ATF (Auto Transmission Fluid)
bypassing the stacked plate core. The oil passes
through a self-regulating orifice which monitors
resistance to flow.
2. Controlled by viscosity, cooler, thicker ATF is
returned directly to lube through two open bypass
plates positioned above the stacked plate core.
3. As operating temperature increase, more
ATF flow is directed through the core with its
minimal flow resistance.
4. The result, a highly efficient oil cooler that
protects against lube system failure and
delivers optimal heat transfer as required.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Last edited by rainman; 01-01-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2010
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
I looked for the inline thermostat can not find one. any idear where to get them from?

There's a company called Perma-cool that makes remote oil thermostat assemblies, one retailer I noted stocking them locally was rocket industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative
If you do that, you'll be heating your cooled oil back to the temp your engine cooling system is running at.....
Not entirely, returning via the radiator's heat exchanger will the increase transmission oil temperature but not to precisely the same as the engine coolant there will be a variance, adoption of configuration depends entirely on local environmental conditions
Old 05-01-2010
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Has anyone contemplated fitting a flex-a-lite (or similar) engine oil cooler kit to their XJ?

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...l-coolers.html

I figured it might be yet another means to control the notorious XJ's running temperatures, I've still got the old tranny cooler so all I'd need is the plumbing and adapter plate, so any thoughts?

Last edited by tazwegion; 05-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

I thought those things were for either high performance n/a engines, or turbos.
our moters ain't high performance(unless you have spent serious $ on the moter)
I see were you are coming from in terms of another heat sink.
But as I have read it;
a new radiator, with a working thermo fan clutch, water pump and thermostat fixes 80% of the over heating problems, add a good electric fan in place of the belt driven one, 90% of the problems, add in a good size after market tranny cooler- in pretty much any configuration- and that is it, overheating "problem" solved.
and that is before the 12mm bonnet lift that costs bugger all and is apparently effective.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying do not do it, I will be the first to ask for pics, It's just as I see it the "XJ overheating problem" is a known weakness, with a well established solution.
So you asked for thoughts and that is my 2Cents.
Good luck with it and do post the results ................with pics.

That being said, mashed67 is building an engine that needs 36lb/hr injectors so he is gonna need all the cooling he can get.
Regards.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Last edited by rainman; 05-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Have thought about the engine oil cooler and whilst i have been too lazy to follow up on it I also believe it is a very good idea. The advantage of oil cooling is that many parts of the motors that are under enormous strain (just think about the big ends and crank journals) actually get some form of cooling. I would think very beneficial to a motor working hard in a confined space with little air passing it.