Question for all you tech guru - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Gaming & Technology
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Question for all you tech guru

Ok i am looking in to getting OziExplorer
i currently have a Navman S45 and i was going to hack it so i can use OziExplorer with it
but i have seen Steve F set up on here and i was amazed
so i started looking at tablet PC's
and there are a lot of cheep ones running Android operating systems
now will OziExplorer work with a tablet PC running Android OS or not
and i was also going to get a gps unit to go with the tablet PC to use it as an in car system so to speak
now remember guy's i am new to most of this and relay don't have clue so go easy on me
Old 01-06-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

iPhone and mudmap or similar ozi is old and clunky
10JK Rubicon
Old 01-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

I'm not aware of OziExplorer being available for Android OS but is definetly available for windows CE 5 /windows mobile 5 and pc windows therefore you can install it on any device that lets you access the operating system.
I've got it on my wm5 pda and on my chinese made car Gps and Hema car gps(win ce5).
Used to run it on a laptop (win me) on my boat too.
Hacking some car gps units is fairly simple (most of the time) get activesync or connect to a pc as a usb device and rename a file of the gps START up process not the BOOTUP one.
That usualy gives you an error of "File not found or missing" and continues in windows mode.
Not an expert but it always worked for me.
BUT anybody at their own risc .
There is always the posibility of file coruption and could render the unit unoperational .
Chers,
Old 02-06-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OziExplorer is still in development for Android however there are a few free alternatives available on the app market, I use Androzic which works pretty well, compatible with all the maps, does tracking, etc. I also have a dedicated HP iPaq PDA for mapping and tracking, it runs Windows Mobile 6 and OziExplorerCE 2.34 with a bluetooth GPS, I prefer this over the Android phone at the moment, mainly because I have a proper rugged in-car mount for the PDA.

edit: an example of the track output from OziCE http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...,0.308647&z=12
Old 03-06-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what would you guy's recomend
using a pc with win CE
or the newer Android stuff

and i have now seen the OziExplorer for Android and it dose look very basic
but as you say cypher it's in development
Post New Thread  Reply