Feedback on Commander 3.0l CRD - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Feedback on Commander 3.0l CRD

Hi Guys,

We are looking at replacing our DiD Pajero and considering the above.

Have a few questions for those of you who own one.

How easily does the third row of seats remove.

Is an aux fuel tank available.

Is a decent steel bar (ARB sahara or similar) available.

Have you had any problems.

We tow an 18ft tandem axel van and the power and torque are very appealing.

Anything else we need to be aware of.

Hope to test drive in about a week if the dealer can get on in.

Brutus
Old 01-11-2006
A.K.A Rentagheyde :-)

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

all ill say is buy one jeeps rock
Old 01-11-2006
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ask Jammy Jeep

He's got one!

As rumour would have it the Grand Cherokee long range tank (additional tank in the wheel well) fits and is anout 110 litres

Old 02-11-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz
Ask Jammy Jeep

He's got one!

As rumour would have it the Grand Cherokee long range tank (additional tank in the wheel well) fits and is anout 110 litres
Didnt know you could get a lr tank for the grand, who makes em?
Old 02-11-2006
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Brutus,

We have the CRD commander and just got back from 10000km trip round much of Aus, so starting to get a bit of a feel for it now.
3rd row seats: have no idea how hard they are to remove, but when they are folded down flat they just seem to form a normal boot space (we didn't use them at all on our trip).
Bullbar: no-one makes them yet. I have a number of people keeping an eye out for me. The only option seems to be the factory nudge bar. So, at the moment I have nowhere to put my driving lights.
long range tank: was talking to a jeep dealer on tuesday who reckons LRA does make an aux tank for them. I sent an email to LRA yesterday - will report back what I find out.
We tow a van around 1.5t. From our trip, I haven't really worked out a fuel consumption average yet, but at a guess I would say somewhere between 16 and 16.5l/100kms. This is a bit high for my liking. 4x4 Australia rates them at 14.5 average when towing a similar sort of size van. I don't think the engine has really loosened up yet. From all reports, this could happen anywhere up to 40000kms (depending on how lucky/unlucky you are).
Had one tank where I did around 18 (into a stiff wind for the whole tank). On fraser island, in the sand, was 18.8, which I didn't think was actually too bad for sand. I also had one tank which was 14. All seems very odd to me how much it varies, given that generally I had the cruise control set at 94kms (according to the GPS - about 98kms on the speedo) for the whole trip.
One thing I can definitely say is that the car has a huge amount of power/torque. Had absolutely no trouble overtaking - you would not even notice you had the van on the back when you have to gun it to get around someone slower.
Bought a 4x4 Australia towing mag while I was away. Had a towing test between commander, pathfinder, terracan, prado and pajero (strangely didn't include patrol or cruiser) and commander whipped them all by staggering margins. In some of the tests the commander and (I think it was) the pathfinder were the only ones to finish within the allotted time. The most surprising thing was, given the whole article was about towing, at the end the journo said that he would rank the commander 3rd because he's not convinced about its offroad potential once its unhitched and you've got to where you're going (which didn't seem to be anything that they were testing for). This certainly was not a reflection of any of the tests they conducted. Funny how you can change the whole result of testing by adding a few gratuitous comments at the end.
Anyhow, hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for that, it is much appreciated.

I am looking forward to the test drive.

Any further info please advise.

Brutus
Old 18-12-2006
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Smile skid plates

Hi Im new to this site I have a 65th aniversary model and yes the do come with skid plates. Ive had my crd for about five months now and love it.
I changed the tyres to cooper st and got the aussie tow bar put on it by my dealer. I live in Tom price wa so i needed the coopers up here as I do a fair bit of offroad driving.
you will love your 65th model and it handles the dirt really good.
the cooper tyres lift the commander up a bit so you get better ground clearance make sure you insure it well as a new windscreen is 2600 dollars unfitted. i had to replace the windscreen and drivers side window after a rodtrain showered me in rocks. luckily I was insured.
last trip to perth i was getting around 650 to 700 kims a tank.
when i first got it I did give it some stick to wear it in.
I always carry two spares one in the back when going offroad up here.
enjoy your commander.
Post New Thread  Reply