JK Roof Rack setup - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thol View Post
Teraflex Nebo
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-nebo-roof-rack-black
Also bolts to the roll cage but allows the hard top to come off relatively simply.
That's epic. I'm going to look into one of these as an option for sure
Old 01-02-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Well, here's what I reckon, for what it is worth.

I bought my JK 07 in (would you believe) 07. Rubi 4 door etc, have put in a 2" lift and air bags @ rear. Bought a KongoCage rack from USA in 07. I have, over the years, had to reinforce the front windscreen brackets with gussets and also fitted gussets to the f&R bars where they connect to the f&r frames of the rack.I add 2 long pipes to the frame with fencing brackets.

I have had the rack loaded with a RTT (55kg), up to 8x20 litre jerry cans (say 160kg full), a spare wheel (mounted with tyre) (38kg) and 3 x20 litre water cans (65kg full). I also add a tent (25kg) and attach an awning (10kg). So all up and loaded, the rack carries about about 355kg.

I have been all over Oz with this set up including the Gary Junction Hwy, GRR, Cape York, Anne Beadle Track etc etc etc.

Does me!!!! It has proven its mettle. And it only cost me about $800.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Well, here's what I reckon, for what it is worth.

I bought my JK 07 in (would you believe) 07. Rubi 4 door etc, have put in a 2" lift and air bags @ rear. Bought a KongoCage rack from USA in 07. I have, over the years, had to reinforce the front windscreen brackets with gussets and also fitted gussets to the f&R bars where they connect to the f&r frames of the rack.I add 2 long pipes to the frame with fencing brackets.

I have had the rack loaded with a RTT (55kg), up to 8x20 litre jerry cans (say 160kg full), a spare wheel (mounted with tyre) (38kg) and 3 x20 litre water cans (65kg full). I also add a tent (25kg) and attach an awning (10kg). So all up and loaded, the rack carries about about 355kg.

I have been all over Oz with this set up including the Gary Junction Hwy, GRR, Cape York, Anne Beadle Track etc etc etc.

Does me!!!! It has proven its mettle. And it only cost me about $800.

Hope this helps.
Do you worry about rolling over when offroad?
Old 01-02-2018
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samft View Post
Do you worry about rolling over when offroad?
No. The JKU has proven a remarkably stable touring platform. I have used it to also pull a homemade camper trailer which, sadly, I am in the process of wrecking..... and even a small 14' rear door pop top caravan.

Even tho I go to really remote places, I don't go mad with what I do. Most "4WD" places that u can go to r actually pretty safe. I don't look for getting stuck in mud and river crossings etc. What is the point?

Of course u can drive at top speed or 80Km/hr or faster like an idiot on corrugated roads, in the belief that it is more comfortable or safe to do so but that is ignorance and inexperience talking. So called experts who write about doing this as "safe" in popular 4WD magazines and TV shows should be taken to task on this matter. It is probably the main reason that 4WDs roll over - too much speed for the condition of the roads.

In remote places help for the injured can be a long time coming and life/lives can be lost... the help you get might also be very inexperienced and very limited.

I try to drive to stay safe. I make sure that I have the time to achieve what I want from my trip without having to rush. I drive to conditions and with the knowledge that I am on my own and that not getting into trouble is the best way of being sure of getting home. Remote recovery can be very expensive.

Most of the roof rack weight disappears on a daily basis as you empty the jerry cans. Also, I usually have quite a weight in the JKU which sort of keeps the centre of gravity pretty much unchanged... tools, spares, water (about 200 litres or more), fridge, food, 2nd battery set up, clothing etc., all of which can add up to more than 300kg.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

exceeding GVM can be expensive and unsafe too!!

Seriously.. anyone reading the last couple of posts.. we are not in the days of Alby Mangels anymore. You cannot weld gussets and add pipes and fencing brackets onto your roof rack because it wont hold up 8 FKN jerry cans and other assorted crap amounting to over 350 kgs,DRIVING not static!!! whilst filling the rest of the car up with counterbalancing water and batteries. While towing a home made trailer.

This worked in the 80s, but please dont try this now!!!

Last edited by mick666; 02-02-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2018
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick666 View Post
exceeding GVM can be expensive and unsafe too!!

Seriously.. anyone reading the last couple of posts.. we are not in the days of Alby Mangels anymore. You cannot weld gussets and add pipes and fencing brackets onto your roof rack because it wont hold up 8 FKN jerry cans and other assorted crap amounting to over 350 kgs,DRIVING not static!!! whilst filling the rest of the car up with counterbalancing water and batteries. While towing a home made trailer.

This worked in the 80s, but please dont try this now!!!

Wow Mick.... it works (and has worked) for me. in the 2010s, too. Take a Valium and a have a cuppa and settle down. Alby Mangels... well he had a lot of fun, too, and always had about 130Kg excess weight.. called shielas, I think, always scantily clad, which helped keep the weight down, I guess.

I bet I travel a lot more safely than many others who don't have a clue about driving in the remote parts of this country... what about you?

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 02-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Wow Mick.... it works (and has worked) for me. in the 2010s, too. Take a Valium and a have a cuppa and settle down. Alby Mangels... well he had a lot of fun, too, and always had about 130Kg excess weight.. called shielas, I think, always scantily clad, which helped keep the weight down, I guess.

I bet I travel a lot more safely than many others who don't have a clue about driving in the remote parts of this country... what about you?
You probably drive slowly and safely with lots of experience but if a newbie tries to emulate you and tips the unit off the side of a steep track? Mate, forums need to be factual and not full of what you might be able to get away with....

As for Alby.. ask Judy Green if she had a lot of fun.

Pass me a valium😀
Post New Thread  Reply