Rubicon or jk crd i need convincing either way - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-01-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Rubicon or jk crd i need convincing either way

Hey guys and girls, i posted earlier asking about a jk or jl diesel, well im not a fan of the jl from what ive seen on youtube plus as per this forum the crd jl will be a pissy 2.2L ☹

So my question to anyone with real world experience, would you go for a jl/jk rubicon 3.6L new or get a jk 2.8. Im looking for fuel figures per hundred kms. As from what ive read the rubicon gets 1 or 2km p/h more then the diesel. Which to me isnt to bad, but thus the question and request for some insight. The rubi is attractive in that it comes with all the stronger "better" expensive bits (transfer case and diff gears and axles blah blah)

Plan to use the jeep as a tourer for me and the misses, with weekend get aways thrown in doing some medium to hard tracks to get to camp spots. I know the crd should be better on fuel use but im not sure its super fantastic numbers over the petrol.

Id love to hear from anyone with a 4 door auto 2 inch lift 33 inch tyres rear bar front bar and a roof rack on either the rubi or crd. As that is my plan for the future. Also on the rubi apparently gearing is offered i think 3.73 is standard or you can get 4.11 so ive read, does that make much difference when using 33 inch, at a stretch possibly 35 inch tyres.

Trying to nut out the final decision before i get one later this year, so please somebody sway me in the right direction.

Cheers
Brad.
Old 23-01-2018
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

As soon as you mention "hard" tracks then the decisions made.......

Sure you can drop a ton of money upgrading anything but if you just want to turn the key and go then a petrol Rubi's the go.

If your touring then get a long range tank fitted with the money you save by skipping the squeezle. Also do a search on CRD problems before you head down that path.... some have great runs others.......
Old 23-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

I've got a Rubi spec CRD minus the leather, so the best of both worlds.

It's down to personal preference but I'd never own a petrol vehicle unless it was something I really wanted that I couldn't get in a diesel.

My CRD is lifted 3.5" on 33's, has a long-range tank, rear factory e-locker, front factory swaybar disconnect, heaps of other mods and I use it for what it was built for. Getting to the tracks i'm doing around 10 l/100km and on the tracks even crawling etc it does around 13. It's been chipped and absolutely flies considering its about 2.5 tonne!

I never worry about river crossings unlike my mate in his Rubi, I never worry about low down torque to get up steep sections, it tows my boat without me knowing it's behind me and doesn't really even affect the fuel consumption.

The only thing I really want to change is the position of the auto trans cooler.

Other than that I'm stoked with it.

That said, I've not actually driven a Rubi. The extra money they cost doesn't appeal to me to have a petrol version of the Wrangler. I'm straight-up a diesel guy, through and through.

If you're around Sydney and want to come and have a look or a drive or even a day out on the trails with us, let me know
Old 23-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have 2015 CRD 35 000kms
At the moment standard tyres and suspension.
Highway travel I get between 9.8-10.2L/100km
Everyday travel I sit on about 10.5L/100km
And towing my JetSki or a trailer between 11.2-11.7L/100km

So with the additions your talking about you could expect a lot less fuel economy then my figures

But I can't fault it so far
Old 23-01-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I was looking at ordering a JL 3.0 diesel ute when they became available however after reading an article in 4x4 Australia several weeks ago about us only getting the 2.2, it won't be happening.

I honestly believe that only having the 2.2L Diesel available here will severally restrict sales. It will only be a matter of time before FCA relent and we get the 3.0L motor here or even better the V8.

In the meantime I'll either keep the JK for a few more years to see what happens or end up with a V6 JL. I don't have any faith in the current 2.8 diesel so I'm happy to wait.

The petrol motor's range can be beefed up with a long ranger tank anyway.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 23-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I...I don't have any faith in the current 2.8 diesel so I'm happy to wait...
How come? It's brilliant lump!

And I definitely think we'll be getting the 3.0 eco-diesel engine. I can feel it in my bones
Old 23-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Surely they see how popular our Utes are given the sales of hilux and rangers.