JK: Wilf's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-09-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default JK: Wilf's

Long overdue should have started this a long time ago if I have had a better look around.

Have a little head start with the Offraod Group Pack already installed, relax it is a MY2009. First day had the roof off, made it easier to get the soft top out as it will not be used for a while. Second day rained hardtop back on.

Last edited by Wilf; 19-10-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Change Pics
Old 30-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats the plans for her mate?
Good colour choice, would've been the colour i got had i notbeen impatient when i bought mine.
Old 30-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Dan, this is in catchup mode as I have done a few things already but want to document it in one place rather that have small bits all over the place.

We were very lucky and found this one when it had just hit the ground at the dealers rather than order one and wait.

Got some family issues to get out of the road this weekend so next week I will start to add things we have done and plans we have in the pipeline.
Old 19-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Ok finally got it started.

First off was a trip to Wooders Garage for some Rugged Ridge floor mats for the front and rear, yes they are pricy but do a great job and after 2 years their still going strong. Then we ordered a bonnet lock from Phil at OzAdventure4x4, back to Wooders for some RR grab handles (black) these are great and we ended up going back 12 month later and getting another set so now have one on each door.

After a lot of discussion and searching we ended up getting the TJM front bar fitted and have been very happy with it. Front windows tinted by Solartint, Next from JeepKonection we got the Mopar black entry guards and again have done a great job. Back to Wooders again for a RR dash tray set & the RR rear cargo liner, the dash trays are fantastic and use them every day. Made up some reinforcements for added support to the hard top as I did read somewhere that they tend to crack after travelling over a lot of rough terrain just used some old bar I had laying around.

We extended the front diff breather up to under the bonnet next to the coolant reservoir and the rear up in behind the driver’s side rear tail light by getting some same sized hose from ENZED and some brass joiners then reusing the original plastic caps. Also did the gearbox and what a pain it was but got it off then routed it up next to the front diff breather, did not touch the transfer case as it is already up behind the engine. Some pics and info here :-http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89449

After this we ordered the Mopar 2” springs (Lovells) from Jamie @ Northern Motor Group (great service) and they have been great for what we use our JK for. As they were designed for the 4 door CRD we have no complaints and found them a much improved ride over the stock setup even without changing the shocks.

More to follow soon.

Last edited by Wilf; 14-01-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 19-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

A little more and we are almost up to date.
Next were some Seatglovers neoprene seat covers front and back in grey black combo and at first was very happy with them but very soon after the front passenger side had seams coming apart. So contacted them and a few weeks later they finally got back to me but suggested I find someone local to get a quote to get repaired then get back to them. Well I did not spend $330 to run around to get things fixed and I told them so and guess what we never heard from them again, so every time I get a chance I tell people about the poor service.

A few months later we ordered RR Control Arm Skids front & rear, Tailgate holder by Dominion that came from Phil at OzAdventure4x4 and as before great service. A little later we went back again to Wooders and purchased some ARB Diff covers, my reasoning behind these are that there has been a lot of chat about weak diffs so anything that stiffens things up has to do some good and that’s how I got it past the wife, also they look good. Around now we removed the rear muffler then I just drove up to the local exhaust guy and got him to add a tail pipe and pock it out the side just behind the mud flap as we run Rock Tamers while towing the camper.

Another pic from another post - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...4&d=1288326463

Last edited by Wilf; 14-01-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Snorkel

Installed this with the help of a mate as I helped him with his snorkel on his 100 series. It was good to get practise on his vehicle first, yes completely different install but it did help. Very happy with the TJM snorkel, not as straight forward as some others but if you’re not in a rush and take your time it all fits in just fine.

Old 11-01-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Home made draw unit

Ended up making our own storage unit, took a while to research what was out there concluded we could not justify to purchase one of the off the shelf units and no one made one how we wanted it to fit anyway.

Some rough measurements for those interested – base 960w x 810d, height of the board at the back is 335mm the size of the ORS frame (size below) dictates the dimensions around the draw. Height of the centre board is 555mm.

After doing all the leg work we opted to use the ORS fridge slide (385 x 725) and one of their single draw frames (455 x 780 x 280). With this size draw we are now not able to fit the jack into its normal location but with access to the storage under the fridge slide we store the jack there. To get full access to the jack compartment we would have had to gone to a lot smaller draw and would have been a waste but can still put other items and carry the wheel brace and jack handle in the normal location.

Also helped having a good mate that had just finished making a set from scratch for his 100 series and seeing what did work and what was a real pain to get right so hence the DIY frame and draw.

Our setup allows the carpet to be left in and is held down at the rear by two bolts coming up from the jack compartment with spacers to get the right height and two straps at the front using the original tie down points.

Used 12mm ply glued and screwed then auto carpet from Bunnings over the top. Once you have made one you can appreciate why you pay a lot for the off the shelf units.

Mounted ARB air compressor on the right hand side at the rear and it fits in very nicely but do have to unbolt it before removing the unit.

Weight wise it is not too bad as I can handle it by myself to get it in and out.

Last edited by Wilf; 13-01-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply