TJ: Boofs Jeep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2010

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TJ: Boofs Jeep

Thought I might as well throw up something on the new to me TJ I purchased last month.

After undertaking a comp truck project and just not having enough time with kids and family commitments, to finish it, I decided to pull the pin and just get back into wheeling. This started me on a hunt to see what was around for a decent price. I kept coming back to the TJs as bang for buck they just couldnt be beaten. So after being told of a well setup one for sale, I went for a look.

Some will know it already off here as it belonged to Hemi Metal. After talking to him and agreeing on a price the deal was done.

The specs as purchased were:

1998 model TJ Wrangler Sport softop
5 speed manual gearbox
4.0L Petrol 6 cyl
Factory A/C and P/S

Full service history
Viper alarm & immobiliser with microwave motion detector
ERPS Unit

Warn front bumper
Rugged Ridge rear bumper with tow hitch
Rear tyre carrier custom built
ARB rock sliders

Yukon Ring & Pinion 4.11 ratio front & rear with new bearing seals
ARB diff lockers front & rear
ARB air compressor with tyre inflator kit

Rugged Ridge rear light protectors
Rugged Ridge fuel cap
Skyjacker Steering box skid plate
Front Rugged Ridge diff protector
Gen-Right Sump Guard

ProComp 2" suspension lift
Front 4" Rugged Ridge ORV Nitro shocks
Rear 4" Rugged Ridge ORV Nitro shocks
Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) kit with HD drive shaft
Warrior sway bar disconnects
OME bump stop extensions

Exhaust extractors
Front braided brake lines
Braided clutch fluid pipe
Optima battery

Rugged Ridge windscreen light brackets
IPF 100w driving lights
Rugged Ridge soft top with rear tinted windows
5" JBL Titanium speakers in sound bar
JVC CD head unit
Jaycar front speakers with in built tweeters

Xenon flares
Dynamic 15x8 steel wheels
34x12.5x15 Interco Truxus MT tyres

Pics when purchased

Old 07-07-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While it was getting the RWC done I got talking to Ryano at Fourbys as I am not a fan of black sunnies and he is aware of this, having helped me through a few sets of rims and tyres in the past

My original plan was to run the tyre and rim combo it came up with till I saved some funds for a set of 35s on 17s. However the Trxus were almost brand new and Ryano found a set of run out 15x8 black and chrome DC1s, so I changed the rims over and kept the 15" rim and 34" tyre combo.

Pic of it with the rims changed.

When I purchased it the previous owner told me he had a winch plate for the front bar so I purchased it also, knowing I had a winch leftover from the old build in the shed.

After picking it up last Tuesday night I didnt have much time to play with it, or make any changes so I just removed some of the stickers, and the IPF lights. I got time to try out the lockers on Thursday arve and found they werent working. I decided after work Friday night i would check the compressor and see if it was somthing simpple like a pressure switch.

After some checking i found that due to space constraints a toggle switch was used for the compressor in place of the ARB switch. I then traced wiring to find relays etc in line. It was at this time I decided I wasnt going to happy to just get them working. So I went hunting in the shed and found my old modified loom (able to run the lockers independantly) and smaller air compressor, and wired them into the TJ. I had to get the grinder into some of the metal behind the dash to fit the ARB compressor switch. Nothing wrong with some grinder action imo

Tested them out in the backyard and all working good so with that sorted, I then went wheeling at Scenic Rim on Saturday, but given the short notice it was just me and the kids so didnt get any decent pics or do anything hard.

Last edited by booflux; 04-12-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took it through a couple of the creek runs and was quite impressed with the capability of it. However coming from a 119" wb its going to take me some time to get used to the shorty traits. After spending Saturday wheeling I decided that I would spend Sunday giving it a good go over and really good clean. So I did including cleaning and respraying under the truck in gloss black as well. I then went and grabbed my Lightforce 170s, and 140s out of the shed and fitted them up and wired them in. I then went to work pulling the front bar off to get the winch and winch plate all mounted up.

Wired it all up gave it a test and went and grabbed the wifes camera. I am known for liking my trucks tidy when they arent wheeling so most of time it will look like this

Heading to LCMP on the weekend with a couple of mates so will be good to see how it compares to the old Lux on the same tracks. Should also actually get some wheeling shots instead of the poser stuff then also.

Planned mods at this stage are:

Change the stereo head unit out for one I have with an MP3 input.
Possibly replace the front and rear bars for some like the Shrockworks ones
Replace the factory buckets for something with more support
Replace the 4.1 gears for 4.8s
Replace the rims and tyres for some 35s on 17s
Replace the flares with some tube flares

These wont be happening anytime soon as I am just enjoying being able to wheel again at the moment.

Last edited by booflux; 04-12-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2010
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

mate that is a nice tj, cant wait to see some lcmp shots
Old 07-07-2010
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its a good lookin TJ, I like the look of the warn bar ... its clean and simple...

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 07-07-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice looking truck! Looks much better dirty tho!
Old 07-07-2010
TJ DRIVER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

shouldnt it be boofjeep ?
Post New Thread  Reply