Power Steering Fluid - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-12-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid

So I managed to pick up a couple of Bottles of the Penrite LDAS fluid while Autobarn had their 25% off sale, I syphoned the old fluid out of the reservoir using a large syringe. One thing I did notice is the reservoir is only a holding tank as there is no return line coming back from the pump. Got me thinking, so that means you can drain and refill a dozen times and still all you will be removing is the new fluid, hoping someone can point me too a hose somewhere down on the rack or pump to allow me to drain all the old fluid out, Moderator, please delete if answered elsewhere.
Cheers
Old 27-12-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,271 Times in 733 Posts

Bloody good question OLMATE....cant find an answer on 'google' utube or yank forums....nothing that is specific to the electro-hydraulic system in any case...hoping the 'wizards' have the....'you just undo the hex nut/remove the hose from/at the....' answer for US....

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 28-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,884 Times in 2,298 Posts

Its on "The List" just haven't got there yet .................... but I'm bored sh*tless so might have a lookie today................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 28-12-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

I was even thinking of removing the return hose/fitting from the power steering cooler,maybe someone on here with more knowledge than simple me has done theirs, and as Farwest said, it's probably just a case of just removing a easy to get too clamp, I think I will wait for the Guru's to reply, Cheers 🍻
Old 28-12-2022
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,115 Times in 592 Posts

Interesting point OLEMATE. Both my Jeeps when I got them were very low in Power Steering Fluid and topped them up. In the WJ & WH they had the power steering running off the hydraulic fan pump and therefore circulated the fluid so was relatively easy to change by draining fluid from the reservoir, then refilling, process repeated a few times.
The electro hydraulic system is quite different as you note in that the reservoir is just that, a reservoir and doesn't circulate the fluid as such.

I have been "googling" around, found this so far, pretty basic but it does show the layout at least;

https://youtu.be/7-bE9aqQ7QQ

Can't see what looks like an actual flush point though...Drover will find something i am sure...
Old 28-12-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,271 Times in 733 Posts

Spot on OLMATE....I 'learnt' how to remove the pump....check which fittings 'usually' fail...ie: where to look if it starts leaking...a thousand ways to fully flush n refill the system eliminating any possible 'trapped' air...signs of a failing system...virtually anything to do with the Electric-Hydraulic PS on these rigs...except....getting the simple answer of a straight 'drop n refill/oil change' on the system....Drovers 'bored' n digging into his books...waiting for his findings then I'll jion you in changing it out....165+k on the clock...reckon that oil has come to its 'use by' date...I did 'overfill' it at purchase and its taken 35+k/2+yrs to 'fall' to the max level...self purged no doubt, but no signs anywhere of a leak

ps: the 'searches' threw up some weird answers on the US Sites as to their service cycles (engine, diffs,transfer case,auto box)....LOTS were stating 70k cycles...thats 70,000 MILES !!!....GEEEEEZUS

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 28-12-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 28-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,884 Times in 2,298 Posts

Those that have the 2011-13 WSM go to page 5217, if you have the WSM for the 14-17 models my WSM only relates to the full electric steering so only mentions tie rods and stuff ..... Ours is noted as a EHPS.

Have read the WSM and really am none the wiser as to bleeding the system, it says refer to Standard Proceedure but says nothing of about bleeding or changing the fluid but seems to be using a vacuum pump with special cap fitted to reservoir, pump has a catch can on it........... Looking at mine, I need to drop a bash plate so I can see underneath as to where the plumbing runs properly....

Since its crucial to get air out until I can have a better look or find something reliable I will just top up when needed which doesn't seem to be often, twice added a tiny amount in 100K km......I think it is a very closed system and the fluid doesn't seem to get a flogging like a mechanical pump system .. I don't even know if I have a PS cooler fitted yet... BUT I do know it has sensors, talks to the ECU so has data connections... Mine works I'm leaving the bugga alone............... I'll print out the section, delete the unrelated stuff, take out the warning BS and might be able to actually make something of the damn thing...

As a side note the pump number is 5154662AC made in france by the looks.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 28-12-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply