WJ with a Navara Snorkel - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default wj snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
As part of puting the airlocker in my WJ we think we will take out the pipe that runs out of the aircleaner to the grill and put the compressor under there as there is bugger all space elsewhere in a V8, particularly with a dual battery system going in as well as an existing anti rust system and a Magapulse already under there.

I am getting some mods done to our camper trailer at the same time and going through those with our work s/s fabricator next week and will ask him if he can make a s/s version of the bottom part of the filter box with the hole on the side instead of the front, this will allow a snorkel fitting to mount straight out through the side of the inner section of the guard instead of some bizzare spaghetti that we would need otherwise.

I'll see if I can find a Navara snorkel at one of the wreckers here, convoluted as it sounds we may then be able to fabricate in s/s a shorter section that will allow a lower mount of the "hat" then matt black powder coat it to match rest.

I'll see what I can come up with, but give me some time!
Hi there,

Have you had any luck with the Navara snorkel? I am keen to give it a go but it looks a bit 'gapey' between the snorkel and pillar where it is attached. Did you have to do much repiping under the bonnet to make it fit? If it was successful how much difference did it make to your economy and the dust factor.

Oscar
4 litre Laredo WJ
Old 10-05-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dante,

Apologies for the delayed response. Have been owrking in the far north. Heaps of dust, hence the snorkel enquiry. My air cleaner is on the left passenger side. It is a Laredo petrol 4.0 litre. Did you have to do much replumbing inside and what element or air filter are you using under the bonnet. Did it make much difference to your economy and intake of dust?

Oscar
Old 10-05-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Dante,

Apologies for the delayed response. Have been owrking in the far north. Heaps of dust, hence the snorkel enquiry. My air cleaner is on the left passenger side. It is a Laredo petrol 4.0 litre. Did you have to do much replumbing inside and what element or air filter are you using under the bonnet. Did it make much difference to your economy and intake of dust?

Oscar
Hey mate, Dante doesn't go on this site much anymore, His jeep had a Thermol Failer, He may still cheak from time to time, I read in his older post that yes it does make a huge difference with tust, regarding economy he said not really much difference.

I would say you would not notice it as the air intake is in a great spot for fresh cool air as it is, If anything better for Power/economy as a snorkel as its lower to the Ground and works as a semi-ram air cause its so close to your in take system. I reckon the snorkel is a great idea for dust, im putting one on mine...... Big Dramas for me though as The diesel in-take is on the Drivers side..... so i have to get a 3inch tube made up and so its going to be a Mission!

Good luck anyway. PS I heard Saffari may be making one for the v8 Grands and your air box is on the same side. Saffari have made snorkel s for the KJ so I would say the Grand s may be next.!
Old 10-05-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Hi there,

Have you had any luck with the Navara snorkel? I am keen to give it a go but it looks a bit 'gapey' between the snorkel and pillar where it is attached. Did you have to do much repiping under the bonnet to make it fit? If it was successful how much difference did it make to your economy and the dust factor.

Oscar
4 litre Laredo WJ
Oscar,

Have not done anything yet as I saw that they may be making a proper one; see the thread a couple up.

I've actually been trying to get my suspension sorted out, but work has been getting in the way!

My ideal solution after some research is to see if I can use the space where the airbox is (it's a little tight in mine as I have a compressor mounted in front of it) to fit a 3rd battery and then use a snorkel - be it form Safari or whoever else coupled to a sealed cone style filter.

Don't know if it will work, but I think that I'll try to figure out if it can be done

Bill
Old 10-05-2007
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Guys just a reminder, check out my offer in the other snorkle thread - we need a test vehicle in Melbourne.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 13-09-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Dante,

Oscar
Oscar,
no worries .. there was some plumbing involved, but it wasn't that bad. Because the air intake into the air filter was on the center part of the car, we had to seal that one off and drill a new whole on the other side which then when into the snorkel.

Unfortunally the car went up in flames and I have been away from the forum for a while. Have got myself two Land Rover and I like the easy of fixing things with them. Went to Cape York and got stuck in a river crossing (my fault .. wrong gear), the engine got water. After draining it, it went on without major dramas.

I have moved now to South America and just got myself a ZJ, so will be back in this forum soon.

Dante
Old 16-09-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are still looking for a test vehicle, i may be able to help you. PM me and i wlii give you my contact details