2.7 auto dip stick - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,926 Times in 2,318 Posts
Default 2.7 auto dip stick

Does anyone know the length of a 2.7 CRD dip stick for the transmission ??

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 24-05-2009
MonsterMoose

Well it certainly looks like this hasn't been covered before.
My auto had a leak ( 2.7 CRD)and I discovered it was coming from the electronic plug which is quite easy to unplug and replace the "O" ring, I used a standard black one but have to replace it with a orange high temp type. Will post size info when I track one down as it is a god spares box piece.
Thats why I wanted to know the length of the dip stick so I could make one up and check oil levels, looks like I will have to see my auto mechanic and pick his brain.

Last edited by drover; 24-05-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 24-05-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Do you mean your tranny didnt come with dipstick?
Old 25-05-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Merc 722.6 transmissions are suppossed to be 'filled for life' and thus the dipstick was not supplied with the vehicle. The dealers have a special tool to check your oil level. There is a an after market 722.6 dipstick which can be purchased. You have to use this in conjuntion with a thermometer as the oil level is measured at a certain temperature.

See the following links

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2466

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23

You can get a dispstick off e-bay

P.S. 'Filled for life' (life of what!). From personal experience you should change your filter and fluid every 40,000 km depending on vehicle usage.
Old 25-05-2009
MonsterMoose

100,000Km service on the auto is something that I don't really care for and I'm going to put it in early and get an oil change done on it. I just thought it would be nice to be able to check levels on it occasionally even with the hassle of trying to get the oil temp. My manual has a graph with temp and levels for it.
My auto mechanic has told me don't get anything wrong with them as they are a bit on the pricey side to repair, which is normal for Jeep auto's anyway.

Old 20-07-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drover, did you ever source the replacement "O" ring. I have just purchased a CRD WG and I think I may have the same problem. Is this reasonably common? If you have any info it would be appreciated. Makes me nervous as I cannot check to see how much fluid is in the damn thing!

Cheers
Old 21-07-2009
MonsterMoose

Never did track down a new "O" ring as the damn socket started leaking again so put it into my Auto guru and he replaced the whole socket, seems it is a common prob on Mercs, so got a service done on the box at the same time, 40,000Km early but he reckoned the 100,000 svc interval is too long in case something is not right. Which I tend to agree with.
I think it cost around $250 all up.
If it's leaking from the black socket on the right hand front of the box, yep same prob.

Post New Thread  Reply