Looking at new main battery, will it fit? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Looking at new main battery, will it fit?

G'day everyone,

Just wanted to get some advice on whether the following sized battery would fit:

306mm x 173mm x 229mm (LxWxH)

My JK is a 2011 (3.8l). The only difficulty I can see is length wise, I think it might squeeze in, but it will be very bloody tight!! Have any members put a battery this size length in their JK?

Also, one other alternative I was thinking was cutting the corner of the OEM battery tray to provide the extra clearance required, but I'm not sure if that provides any form of heat protection to the battery?

I'm really interested in getting the battery as it is 800cca and 100ah, not to mention bloody cheap ($220). Anyway, looking forward to getting some feedback
Old 08-11-2012
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Optima yellow top D34 I think is the best option!! Again this is my opinion only! I've had my yellow top now 2years and hasn't skipped a beat!! I have all sorts connected to it as its not just a start battery
Old 08-11-2012
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep'ers View Post
Optima yellow top D34 I think is the best option!! Again this is my opinion only! I've had my yellow top now 2years and hasn't skipped a beat!! I have all sorts connected to it as its not just a start battery
It's also hard to find them cheap too btw it's a 750 cca battery
Old 08-11-2012
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

im running a D34 optima in mine, works fine, Battery Business one of the sponsors here is the best price around and can freight anywhere you want,
Old 08-11-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

BatteryBusiness does a really good price on the D34 batteries for AJOR members and my original plan was a D34, but it is 50cca lower (not much of a big deal) and it is 45ah less than this other battery (which would be beneficial for the fridge).

The big plan is to run a duel battery set up, the aux battery is going to be 100ah as well, so 200ah would be better than 155ah

Getting the 306mm battery to fit shouldn't be too much of a problem and last resort I can cut the OEM battery tray, but I am unsure on whether this provides any heat protection?

Thanks for your comments Jeep'ers, much appreciated mate.
Old 08-11-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

I don't know what year JK you have but in the 2008 CRD models only the Optima will fit due to the molded base section that matches the cylinder design of the Optima. My son managed to get a standard rectangular battery into that spot with some 'modification' to the base.
Old 08-11-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the dual battery tray that one of the forum members sold a while ago. Basically, you had to cut away part of the battery box, and put the metal tray back into place. fits 2 batteries sideways. (bit of re-routing of cables needed..) (if you do a search on the forum, you will soon find his post with pictures)

While I did run 2 batteries in there for over 1,5 year, without any issues, my thoughts where that they where a bit to close to the engine. (I had the original battery and a same size AGM battery next to it) The battery next to the engine was basically that close to the engine that exchanging the sparks was not possible anymore. (at least not with my big hands)

So, I changed the setup a bit. 2nd battery now lives in the boot of the car, with a good DC-DC charger. Maybe in near future one of those rear-tub's to give it a better spot.
In the front, I have cut back the battery tray a bit, so that it fits a larger battery. Same size that you mention above. Further I have made a heat shield that protects it from the heat coming from the engine. Just did this over the last weekend, so can't really say how good it works, but seems to work pretty good.

For now I'm still running with the original jeep battery, but I now can install a bigger battery, which I plan to do when I slide in that long waited winch...

So, yes, if you want to run a bigger battery, and are prepared to cut away some of the plastic of the battery tray, I would recommend to get some heat shield and make a new shield next to the battery. Don't know if the battery will fit using the original clamps, you might want to check that first. (if not, you will need to get other battery tray fixed on the plastic tray. Positive about this is that you will have something to attach the heat shield to)
Post New Thread  Reply