Stalling on warm up cycle - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobrent View Post
Also don't think that because the TPS has been replaced , that its not the issue.
Have heard of heaps of dodgy new TPS's.
All the mechanics I went to could not fix this issue, telling me that there is no fault code to go by.
Remembering this post I said, "I read in a Jeep forum that they are often dodgy from the manufacturer".
The response was, "what do forums no about Jeeps".

I have a lot of faith in forums, much of what I've learned and achieved in technology (particularly virtualization engineering) would not have been possible without information sharing in community forums.

So I asked again "would you mind changing the TPS over again - just in case it's dodgy?"
So they did and now it runs like new Thanks, nitrobrent, you were right all along.

So what to forums know about Jeeps, So it turns out, quite a lot!
Old 23-11-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Glad you got it sorted , finally
Old 05-03-2018
Established Member

It keeps coming back! it's like friggin groundhog day but monthly, Im up to my third replacement TPS in under six months?

I was thinking, I'll get one from Quadratec, perhaps not, looks like I'm not the only one with defective TPS issues - READ THE COMMENTS

So, every time I replace the TPS it starts perfectly, idles without issue and behaves itself throughout the warm up cycle like normal.
A week or three later it begins revving high at cold start up (about 2,000 rpm), a few seconds latter it's fine again and goes through the warm up cycle without over revving. then it gets progressively worse.
Another week or so later, at cold start up it revs to about 3,000 rpm, it stays revving higher for longer, then it's fine again and goes through the warm up cycle without issue.
Another week latter, cold starts rev up to 3,000, stays there for a longer then returns to normal, then back up to 3,000 rpm and keeps doing this throughout the warm up cycle, then it's normal at operating temperature.
Another few weeks and it becomes undrivable with the revs sticking at random intervals even after it's warmed up.
I replace the TPS and it's all good again, but only for a few weeks...

Once it becomes undrivable I get a - P0122 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input

I've cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC but that makes little difference. I'm at a loss to know what to do next, any ideas?

Last edited by Struth; 05-03-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-03-2018
Established Member

Update:

I keep getting P0121 even after a reset

The OME pat no is : 56027942AC The part my mechanic keeps replacing it with has no part number and is not exactly the same dimensions as the mopar one, he reckons it's my car thats fouling the TPS.

Again, It got to the point where the car becomes undrivable as a result of iddeling at 2-3,000 RPM so I cracked the shits and disconnected the TPS all together, now it's drivable and it's idling better than ever. Sometimes, cracking the shits it what it takes.

I have ordered THIS from Morris4x4

We'll see how that goes, should arrive in about two weeks and I'll post the outcome here once I've installed it and run it for a few weeks
Old 11-03-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

for the Mopar sensor look here https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...)+sensor,11207 as they have them in stock

what sort of spark plugs are you using?

did you clean the IAC with throttle body cleaner?

also add a litre of Liqi-Moly http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/petrol-clean-boost-7714/ to a full tank rather than cleaning the injectors. this stuff actually works. get it from supercrap

if it continues to act up disconnect the MAP sensor for a moment while idling to see if there is a change

Last edited by bonza; 11-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2018
Established Member

Thanks for the response bonza,

already ordered a Mopar MAP and TPS sensors from Morris for about the same price. They have done 170 k so I don't mind replacing them.

Not sure what plugs are in her but with a new TPS is drives like new.

Removed the throttle body, cleaned the ports out including the IAC but it made no diff.

I've cleaned the injectors with a nulon product but I might try some Liqi-Moly.
Old 12-03-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

I replaced my idle air control valve (sits next to the throttle body) when I had idle issues... Seems to have solved my issues with poor idling.
Available via morris4x4 and other places under fuel system parts....
Post New Thread  Reply