JK: Hunty's Jeep - Page 53 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-01-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Luvin Summer in D Jeep

Jeep JK Summer edition

Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

Smile How to replace starter & solenoid Jeep JK

I've drowned my Jeep many times in slop, mud, rivers and the Jardine,
its been around OZ twice and crossed the centre both ways.

I drove onto the Wisemans ferry and turned off my Jeep - got to the other side and tried to restart it, not even an audible click D'oh cars piled up behind me full ferry and cues 2 hrs long to cross...... PITA, foolishly I opened the drives door and gave a big fred flintstone push, thankfully it was just enough to roll start and I got to drive off the ferry very relieved to not be blocking hours of post holiday traffic.

I got home and decided to fault find the problem

1. Crawled under with a large screw driver and shorted out the two +12v poles on the solenoid and it started perfectly (had it in low range Neutral to inhibit the clutch lock out).

2. being a Jeep magyvering genius I decided the solenoid was stuffed.

3. went to jeep and asked how much for a new solenoid and was told $385bux - ouch! ebay says less than $100.

4. I decided to buy a generic solenoid and mount it higher up near the battery out of harms way - hopefully above the high water mark LoL

5. Just for laughs I asked the Jeep parts parts guy "how much for the starter and solenoid combined and too my amazement he said $210 - which is less than just the solenoid WTFudge????

5. Bought a new starter solenoid combo and installed it

6. Very easy job - firstly disconnect the battery!
there are only 2 bolts holding the starter to the block and they are pretty easy to get to if you have a socket set with wobbly / uni joint. unplug the solenoid and bolt off the 12+ cable.

7. Excited I jumped out from under my Jeep - reconnected the battery and jumped in turned the key and NOTHING.

8. Too many smartass piles consumed - I failed to check all the simple things first and learnt a humbling lesson D'oh - I also did not expect the solenoid to be fed through a fuse or it to be blown.... blah blah blah sucked in to me! hopefully this little write up will save you

9. went to my local speed shop and bought 2x 40A fuses installed on and put a spare in my tool kit.

10. Starts very well now and I have a perfectly good starter motor in my garage LoL

Enjoy peeps - cheers Hunty

Old 15-06-2014
Full Flexer

Smile Airbag suspension

ps - here it is full up

Old 15-06-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like you have that air bag suspension sorted Hunty thats brilliant.
Old 15-06-2014
Full Flexer

Smile Air bag Suspension

Hi Guys

Ive been playing with this for a couple of years now and finally made a vid

Springs have given me the ships for years - to hard to soft to tall to low - squashed with load.......... Cops see you up too high and Whammy go to low and get stuck at the Mall LoL

I installed some second hand air bags and made my own controller system with manual valves - couldn't afford a proper system at first, then eventually I bought the air ride controller with 4 individual height sensors - proper build pix to follow soon - and the iPhone app

It has been fantastic - i am able to drop down onto the bump stops at will and make it into a 1.8m carpark I can crank it up for stump jumping LoL

Best of all is the ability to;

1. drop the front for climbing steep hills

2. drop the rear for descending steep hills

3. drop either side depending on which way the pucker factor is LoL

4. drop down under trailers -hook em on and picked up

5.ability to raise the front and drop the rear when towing a car trailer and put the rear of the car trailer up very high to reverse into steep driveway

6. raise the rear to max and drop the front to put the rear of a car trailer on the ground - no ramps required

drive around the city looking somewhat normal

I DO NOT recommend any JKers doing this - I luv it but i have invested 100's of hours

Cheers Hunty

ps here are another 7 reasons I luv em
1. Smooth quiet ride
2. I let a little bit of air out on the freeway and get a magic carpet ride.
3. Smoothest JK I have ever been in
4. when I get into 2.1m or lower carparks and park - if there is room I raise it up to full height and then disable the system - good luck theives getting it out of the Carpark LoL.
5. I also put it up to full height sometimes when i park in questionable areas - its so high thieves can't look in the windows LoL
6. when I'm parked at the lights and a big cruiser or pootrol pulls up next to me and looks down like "ha ha little Jeep - I wait till they turn their head and hit full up - when they look back they are like WTF as i look down on them LoL
7. When I need to work under the Jeep - Happy days - full up

Old 29-06-2014
Full Flexer

Smile Jeep JK airbag suspension - does it ramp ?

I had a blast today at Shents Automotive Ramp day

you be the judge, i will post up my score as soon as the render farm can produce some results (Rey) LoL

cheers Hunty

Old 17-11-2014
Full Flexer

Smile Flexin @ ZigZag biggest Wombi holes ever

Giving the old Air bags a serious workout