Setting up the Jeep for towing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-05-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 82 Times in 35 Posts
Default Setting up the Jeep for towing

G;day all

I have recently purchased a Network RV Caravan ( first time owner) and would like any advise on how to set up my JGC to best tow the below weights

TARE - 2600 KGS
ATM - 3300 KGS
Ball WEIGHT - 220KG

Beside installing a redark brake controller, what else should I be looking at doing prior to heading off. Is there anywhere in Western Sydney I can go to, to help me ensure that the vehicle is ready and capable of towing such weights?
Old 29-05-2021
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

A few other things to check:

Car axle weights are important. Do not exceed the max rated load on each of the car's axles, specs are in your manual.

You're probably aware that the ball download forms parts of the car's payload. 220kg or more will take up a fair bit of the vehicle's payload, again check the limit in your manual. I assume your ball weight is quoted with the van at Tare (unloaded)? Once you load the van, the ball weight may change considerably.

With those weights you will require a Weight Distribution Hitch and it's wise to have it set up professionally.

There are several sites that give good coverage of managing loads and understanding GVM, GTM, ATM & GCM. Your local weighbridge will be your friend in checking you have it all within the tolerances. Here are a couple, but maybe check for anything specific to your state and read everything you can get your hands on before setting out, dragging a big van for the first time is a big topic!

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dri...specifications

https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradies...-figures-73041
Old 30-05-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

First up the only weights on your compliance plate that are of any use or interest is the ATM, GTM the Tare is of no use and the ball weight you will find is fantasy....

If your Grand has bull bar, side steps and lots of extras like that then don;t load it up with lots of gear or you will end up too heavy, it only has a 600kg load cap and any bar work will eat into this and your ball weight could be around the 280 for that van doesn't leave much...........

As @SouthernComfort said a WDH hitch will be needed and I would advise a couple of short little trips at first to get a feel for the set up and to modify and make sure everything is working, heading straight off a long haul is not wise for a newbie......

Here's some links that should help you get your head around things;

http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/cara...wing-capacity/

http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/cara...hicle-limits/#

https://www.gorv.com.au/weight-distribution-hitch/

https://rvdaily.com.au/what-your-tow...will-cost-you/

If you are going to a park then just have half a tank of water for on road use, no need for the extra weight and try to cut back on the gear you carry away with you, lots of it is just useless weight.....

Due to various compliance plate confusion over the years the JGC can have a GCM ranging from 6400kgs to 5950kgs, same vehicle nothing has changed but for some regulatory BS, its fair to say the 5950kgs is more like the real GCM..... a JGC plated MC won't have a GCM but a MA plated one will, confused so are we.........

As a truckie for many years the weights scenario is second nature it does take awhile to get your head a round it, then we will talk axle's...lol,lol.

The Grand is a brilliant tow vehicle just don't fill it full of junk.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
bjm
Old 30-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I tow boats.

Once I know the boat is within the legal towing capacity of my vehicle I follow the same process every time.

Hook up the trailer.

Do a check on tire pressures, make sure brakes work and everything looks correct.

Connect power and check all lights - lights, indicators, brake lights.

Double check the hitch is connected properly and safety chains / D shackles all good and snugged up tight.

In vehicle check and reposition mirrors.

When I tow I rarely do the speed limit. I always find the vehicle will ‘tell’ me what it likes and what is safe. I like to plan well ahead and ensure it’s a nice smooth, safe trip always being aware of what it around me especially going through higher traffic areas like cities.
Old 30-05-2021
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

As Fishframe advises, wise to keep well under the speed limit, especially with that amount of weight behind you.

Also try to keep the total car weight (GVM) greater than the total van weight (ATM) to avoid the tail wagging the dog. 10% is a good aim. Your quoted max ATM is pushing the boundaries and will leave you even less margin in your GC payload to keep everything properly balanced while remaining within your GCM. Realistically, the GC's 3500kg tow cap may be possible under lab conditions, but not on the road.
Old 30-05-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Fishframe and SouthernComfort are on the money but don't let it make you worry about your Grand, all 3500kg tow capable vehicles are the same, in reality 3.5t is really BS when in the real world........manufacturers just can't do maths...

Getting into a set routine of checking things each time you get into or out of your rig will help stop any surprises, especially when you get back to your rig after stopping for a break, look at the hitch to match sure no one has fooled with it, plugs connected etc, when you stop, look at hitch, WDH bars, touch wheels and drums for excessive heat and any bits missing from tyres, TPMS systems only work after the nail has worked into the tyre, far better to find it before hand.

Most important gas should always be turned off when you hitch up, never drive with gas on and always, always check that the damn fridge door is locked shut....
Inside van jobs and outside jobs, so when door is locked you know water pump is off, windows locked, fridge locked shut etc and outside when you get into the car to drive away, hook up is checked, connections/lights done, gas off, jockey wheel packed away, use the same sequence and it should mean safe hassle free travel... I always do a walk around before driving off the make sure especially the TV aerial.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 30-05-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

A little extra from another old truckie. When your pulling up for your break or pit stop, try to stop where there's no oil patches going to be under your vehicle when you park. A quick look under before you get back in and you'll see if your leaking any fluid. When you get out of the vehicle use your nose, hot oil,coolant ,bearings,tyres, brakes the nose can warn you something needs a look at. Check your wheel nuts, hope tyre fitter didn't tighten them with a rattle gun, they can be a pain to undo with a flimsy factory wheel spanner. Look at your tyres for shiny bits sticking out of them and the colour of the sidewall. If the sidewall gets discoloured, a bit of a sheen, you're going too fast, too heavy, not enough air pressure or all of the above. Don't park up close behind a truck, he might roll back a little when he's leaving and he won't feel it or hear it if he gives you a rub. If you're out on the skinny roads don't play chicken with the road trains, you'll never win that game. If you have trouble in the middle of nowhere call a truck on the uhf, he's probably the only person who'll stop and to help. Happy motoring.
Post New Thread  Reply