JK Unlimited Petrol / Diesel Life Expectancy Pro's/Cons - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

99 Laredo in deep blue/purple with leather and a 4.0....stock with 230k rebuilt 42re transmission etc...just worn...
JK feels awesome, tight, more torque, just bigger...
I'm selling the WJ in Newcastle for cheap

Sent from my Mi A1 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 06-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

I've been wondering about a JK and how it compares, I know the JK is way more capable off road, but love the idea of it being bigger, more aftermarket support etc
Dunno if I can.part from my WJ yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 06-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The JK I bought has leather, so it's not that different..the WJ is more lounge like though....

Sent from my Mi A1 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 07-08-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
I've been wondering about a JK and how it compares, I know the JK is way more capable off road, but love the idea of it being bigger, more aftermarket support etc
Dunno if I can.part from my WJ yet.

I've had 2 WJ Limited v8's previously. Loved them both.

WJ is more comfortable overall with nicer interior finish.

But surprisingly the JK's front seats are quite comfortable and personally I have no issue driving long distances in my JK at all (neither does my wife). The back seat is a different story though, JK is extremely upright and a very short base. I've installed some spacers to the seat mounts to recline the backrest a few degrees and it made a huge difference, but still no WJ back seat.

WJ with good cond susp will ride much nicer than a JK with good cond susp.

The JK feels more manly on the road than the WJ. It has a bigger footprint. If the susp and steering is all in good cond, then it'll feel more solid and taught than the WJ with equally as good cond susp and steering. But riding on rough surfaces, corrugations, etc the WJ is much more comfortable.

JK guys will hate me saying this, but a WJ with Quadradrive and decent tyres (not the low profile directional pattern) is equally as good offroad as a stock 4dr JK in most situations. In sand however, the WJ (v8 ) is much better than the JK.

If offroading is what you want a 4wd for, then the JK has endless capabilities as you can build it to do anything you want, whereas the WJ you can't without spending more and modding more. I love that I can fit 35" tyres on a 2" lift with flat flares and still disconnect my front sway bar and have full flex, and not worry about where to put the spare tyre). WJ needs 6" lift (incl heaps of driveline and steering mods) for 35" tyres and you need to cut the fenders.

Daily driving in the city, the WJ is much better (already mentioned ride quality and comfort) but v8 power is awesome. Fuel economy is also likely to be better in the WJ (if the v8 is well serviced) in the city as well if you were to drive them both at the exact same speed. If using heaps of throttle as you're enjoying the v8 power (smiles per gallon) then the slow JK will prob be more economical. A JK CRD is a different story though, much cheaper in the city, but no where near as quick either. The WJ is smaller and easier to maneuver esp with its 'normal' wheelbase, 4dr JK wheelbase is quite long and this makes it a little cumbersome at times.

Long trips and hwy driving, the WJ again is nicer to drive (already mentioned ride quality and comfort) the v8 is really good here. You can cruise at 110kmh with ease, it'll barely drink any fuel cruising at these speeds, and if you need to overtake a road train, its not a prob. WJ is more aero dynamic so not getting blown around as much, no wind noise etc. The faster you go in a JK the more fuel it uses and the noisier it gets, there's a huge difference in economy if you drop down to 100kmh, and gain to 90kmh, in a JK as there is less wind resistance.

The awesome thing about the JK is that they are like lego with so much aftermarket support, you can build it into anything you want it to be. If it is not luxurious enough for you, you can mod it accordingly, if you need more offroad ability, you can mod it accordingly, if you need more power, you can mod it accordingly etc etc. They have character like no other 4wd. And you can get manual trans (which is one of the reasons I wanted a JK instead of another Jeep model).
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 07-08-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Wow thanks for the detailed response, it's exactly what I was after.
I'm still a long way off deciding on ankther car (just bought a house) but love the idea of a JK, ease of aftermarket support and general ruggedness.
My WJ is awesome, I just love the thing, I have been considering a locker for the rear and that'll be it, should be capable enough then, and like you said, they are awesome in sand, at a trip a while ago to Big Desert, my open diff WJ owned all the sand hills whereas my mates FJ and Prado shopping cart which usually makes it up and over anything kept getting stuck, haha.
The V8 has been a fuel guzzling pig lately, def.time for a service, already ordered new plugs and fuel filter, hopefully that helps her out a bit.

Old 07-08-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Agree regarding the WJ, I miss mine but also love the JK.

An option could be the WH, the only compromise is the front independent, super lift 35” very capable off-roader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 08-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Having owned both, I'd say go the petrol. The maintenance on the diesel offsets any advantages. Diesels are no longer more reliable in the outback, and fuel supply in those regions is no longer a compelling factor either.
Post New Thread  Reply