XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-09-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I know if i am going to comply with VSB14 then 31's may be a whisker large. My placard has 225/75 and that works out at 28.4 and you can only go 50mm bigger. But, who knows... maybe 31 is OK. When i speak to the engineer in a few weeks he should clarify it. I think the lane change test is for all vehicles raised more than 50mm and they count a 50mm bigger tyre as 25mm of that lift so you can only have a 1" lift and 50mm bigger tyres without engineering. I have to get all mods agreed to by the Department of Transport and then signed off by an engineer before work can begin (although ive done it all), do a lane change test, then take all your paperwork to a private licensing station for inspection. When i got my defect notice i took it in with all the fruit on just to get the list of defects. The inspector had to ring the grown ups up and they nearly choked on their breakfast when he mentioned it had 35's on it. Ive been driving it over a year like that but they gave me 5 minutes to get it home for the sake of national security and safety. He also picked the "extractors" and the old chestnut "frayed seatbelt". So i have a list now of minor stuff and the big ticket items.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 25-09-2014
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COFFMAN View Post
It would be a PITA if I change my licence and can't get Tassie rego on the XJ as it would be pretty hard to swap my licence back to SA.
If I go Tassie licence then I can no longer claim that I am here on holi's. Therefore my vehicle would need to have Tas rego or I would cop a fine.

Regards A
Old 25-09-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Something else to note is that it IS possible to get a vehicle certified with much larger tyres and lift than is specified in VSB14...

It states in the document that anything OUTSIDE the documents scope can still be approved but is assessed on a case by case basis only.

This is going to be the route I take if I try to get certification as I will be trying to get a 4.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift, long arms, and 33s certified on a TJ. I know there are engineers in Perth will approve the mods, the final inspection and approval is the issue if anything. Definitely a problem for next year for me though.......
Old 25-09-2014
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

You would have to be very very very unlucky to get knocked back on 31's in NSW, I have passed with 35's before but now swap to the 31's for the yearly pink slip. I have also driven it pretty much daily for 4 years with 35's and a few years before that with 32's, never with stock tyres and I've owned it for 12 years now

Cheers
Steve
Old 25-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD!CT View Post
Something else to note is that it IS possible to get a vehicle certified with much larger tyres and lift than is specified in VSB14...

It states in the document that anything OUTSIDE the documents scope can still be approved but is assessed on a case by case basis only.

This is going to be the route I take if I try to get certification as I will be trying to get a 4.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift, long arms, and 33s certified on a TJ. I know there are engineers in Perth will approve the mods, the final inspection and approval is the issue if anything. Definitely a problem for next year for me though.......
Correct... I to have delved into this, still have a long way to go before submitting my paper work. But there are way and means around this head banger. I plan to run Danna 60 rear and 44/60 front which will be a wider wheel track than original. Larger diameter / wider rims etc. My paper work may say diff / wheels etc. are from a FSJ or F-Truck which will give me the spec for that particular vehicle. A good example is the old HZ station wagon running around on the Land cruiser chassis or the from new wagons, utes, and vans that Arthur Haywood built with the Danna diffs.
I fail to see why if mods have been approved and plated why would you swap rims etc. for a yearly inspection.
Old 25-09-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
If I go Tassie licence then I can no longer claim that I am here on holi's. Therefore my vehicle would need to have Tas rego or I would cop a fine.

Regards A
I let this one go through to the keeper.........
Old 25-09-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Thats interesting Addict with the case by case thing. I guess all you can do if your going down the certification route is to negotiate with everyone and see what sort of deal you can squeeze out of them. On a side note, i put the Mickey Thompson 35's on Gumtree and the phone never stopped ringing. A bloke was coming around at lunch today with cash but then another bloke rang up and said he would give me 200 more and be an hour with the cash too. I called the bloke up who was coming at lunch and he wasn't impressed. Ended up with 1700 for the 5 and what i didnt realize is that there is a shortage in WA with shipments taking up to 3 months. A bit of luck for once!
Post New Thread  Reply